Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Help with overlay error

Help with overlay error 6 months, 3 weeks ago #153268

• toadiscoil
  • Junior Boarder
  • 6 months, 3 weeks ago
Hi. I keep getting an error that there is not enough overlay when trying to create a transition. I usually start my videos with a picture slideshow then the video. Pictures work fine and I can create transitions. But an image followed by a video I keep getting this error. How can I ensure that the software realizes the two picture and video are indeed together? I use the arrows and I see no blank frame in between.

Re: Help with overlay error 6 months, 3 weeks ago #153270

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 months, 3 weeks ago
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Help with overlay error 6 months, 3 weeks ago #153277

• toadiscoil
  • Junior Boarder
  • 6 months, 3 weeks ago
Thanks. I read through it and I understand the concept as I used OpenScape and you just dragged the clip to over lap one object over another and the transition was automatically created. On Lightworks I am trying to to do the same but the movie clip "eats" the picture decreasing the picture length and not creating over lap. The only way is to drag the video which gets the audio track of the video out of sync (happened to me already). I guess I can't find a way to fix it.

Re: Help with overlay error 6 months, 3 weeks ago #153279

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 months, 3 weeks ago
Lightworks isn’t OpenScape, but no NLE can overlap material where there is no material.

Take your time to read carefully through the thread started by briandys I linked to in the other discussion.
I'm sure you'll understand how it works. It's explained in detail.

By the way, I found the video there very interesting.
Last Edit: 6 months, 3 weeks ago by hugly.

Re: Help with overlay error 6 months, 3 weeks ago #153373

• toadiscoil
  • Junior Boarder
  • 6 months, 3 weeks ago
I noticed that I can overlap effects like text slides easily with video or pictures because they are on a separate track. Can I add more than one video track?

Re: Help with overlay error 6 months, 3 weeks ago #153378

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 6 months, 3 weeks ago
You really need to check out the tutorials. The answer is you definitely can add video and/or audio tracks. Right click on your timeline, then select Tracks > Add video, Add audio, or Add multiple.

But you don't need to overlap tracks to do a dissolve. You simply need enough media available in your original clips to fill the overlap. Trying to do it by overlapping two layers then adding your transition is a pain, a dumb way to do it, and you run the risk of introducing other problems.

Don't attempt to drive Lightworks as if it was OpenScape. It isn't, and it never will be. To try and force it to be, all that you will do is increase your frustration levels without ever really getting the best out of the software.

Check out The V14 Transition Error Message Meanings put together by moderator briandrys. It explains in detail what you need to know.

Re: Help with overlay error 6 months, 3 weeks ago #153382

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 months, 3 weeks ago
I've attached a video showing a "trick" with 4 untrimmed subclips how to apply transitions of one desired length to multiple cut points comparably quickly.

It shows this procedure:

1. Apply a transition centered in the desired length from transitions panel (F8) to an empty cut (C-key) within a clip.
2. Copy the transition using CTRL+Drag 'n' Drop to other cut points centered as a placeholder for the length to cut later.
3. Mark and park full length of each transition, delete it (X-key) and apply it again (same length or shorter).

This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Last Edit: 6 months, 3 weeks ago by hugly.

Re: Help with overlay error 2 months, 2 weeks ago #163215

• toadiscoil
  • Junior Boarder
  • 2 months, 2 weeks ago
Ok so this is an old topic but the same thing happened to me today and I think it's either a bug or a feature that needs to be added. Here is what happens.

1. Add two video clips to a project.
2. Drag one (C1) to the timeline.
3. Drag the second (C2) to the timeline. Place it right after C1.
4. Right click to try to add a Dissolve (or other) transition.
5. Get the overlay error.
6. Now drag C2 to leave blank space between the two clips.
7. Mark a few frames off the end of C1 and a few frames of the black space between C1 and C2 with markers.
8. Remove the marked section and replace with blank. Should also work if you delete and compress the black space. Do the same with the beginning of C1.
9. Now drag C2 to be next to C1.
10. Now no error and the transition will be added.

So it seems like when importing all videos have something that Lightworks is not detecting as valid frames (like an end of file marker or something of the sort) and therefore creating the error. Because it works just fine if I remove just a few frames off the beginning and end. I usually do this anyways so had not happened to me on a while but my cameraman did a great job and I didn't need to edit. I had to on the end a few frames to be able to transition the clips, though.

Re: Help with overlay error 2 months, 2 weeks ago #163218

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 2 months, 2 weeks ago
By removing a few frames at the end you're creating enough frames to allow an overlap between the two clips. Unless you've got sufficient media you won't be able to have a transition.

Just delete an appropriate number of frames from either clip and you will have these frames available for your overlap.

Re: Help with overlay error 2 months, 2 weeks ago #163230

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 months, 2 weeks ago
toadiscoil wrote:
Ok so this is an old topic but the same thing happened to me today and I think it's either a bug or a feature that needs to be added. Here is what happens.

1. Add two video clips to a project.
2. Drag one (C1) to the timeline.
3. Drag the second (C2) to the timeline. Place it right after C1.
4. Right click to try to add a Dissolve (or other) transition.

By doing those first four steps you're expecting Lightworks to invent media to fill the overlap region. I can't think of a single NLE that can do that, so I guess that they're all buggy.

I'm also not sure how you would add it as a feature either. You could automatically delete media to allow for the overlap, but what happens then? How do you handle the sync issues that would arise with any subsequent clips in your timeline? You could produce the overlap by freezing frames for the duration, but I'm sure that would cause outrage and cries of "Buggy software!" too.

If you can suggest a reliable foolproof method for doing what you want I'm sure that the developers would be delighted to hear from you. Think about it - you may come up with something.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.65 seconds
Scroll To Top