Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Camera sensor stain removal from footage?

Camera sensor stain removal from footage? 1 year ago #153115

Hi there,

after returning from an epic roadtrip I had to discover that my camera sensor was heavily poluted by stain dots that have ruined all of my video footage (although I had the camera professionally cleaned before the trip). I searched the web for automated stain removal procedures and found only links to software other than Lightworks.
Is there a way in Lightworks to remove these stain dots? Maybe similar to how it works in this tutorial for instance?:

Thanks a lot for sharing your helpful thoughts . . . again

Cheers!
Martini
Last Edit: 1 year ago by Martini_1311.

Re: Camera sensor stain removal from footage? 1 year ago #153343

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year ago
Hi,

Your post might have been missed by members who have done something like this already. I haven't done that on video material. I know that there are ways to do what's shown above in Photoshop with stills easily.

I don't know if the following setup will work with acceptable results. The major problem will be to find a suitable replacement, but with a bit of fine tuning it might work.

I'd suggest trying a routing like this with the original video clip on V1 duplicated on V2. I use a simple 2D Shape as a mask, a DVE to move the foreground to a position with a suitable replacement and a masked Blend to bring things together.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 1 year ago by hugly.

Re: Camera sensor stain removal from footage? 1 year ago #153344

• lghtwrks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year ago
just to mention,
it build in borisFX.
s.

Re: Camera sensor stain removal from footage? 1 year ago #153347

• lghtwrks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year ago

Re: Camera sensor stain removal from footage? 1 year ago #153360

Thx for your replys! Unfortunately, I have no idea about what 'Routing' in LW is or how it works, hope I'll find out one day . . . BUT I've discovered the user's FX area and I think the effect 'CloneStamp' will do the trick - exactly as in Photoshop. Will report if I'm successful then . . .
Cheers!

Re: Camera sensor stain removal from footage? 1 year ago #153412

• arniepix
    Pro User
  • 1 year ago
Martini_1311 wrote:
Thx for your replys! Unfortunately, I have no idea about what 'Routing' in LW is or how it works, hope I'll find out one day . . .

Here's a tutorial on routing:

Lightworks uses a node based, rather than layer based, effects engine. Routing is basically just how you wire your effects together.
I work in Manhattan, USA, but at night I cross the waters to sleep in Brooklyn, USA.

Also, post production is not an afterthought!

Re: Camera sensor stain removal from footage? 1 year ago #153452

Thanks arniepix, that was very instructive!

Re: Camera sensor stain removal from footage? 1 year ago #153850

Hi hugly,
The effects setup you've proposed works fine, thanks a lot for your help. However, it seems this way I can only cover up ONE dot at a time but I need to cover up multiple dots. As LW doesn't let me cascade multiple 'Simple 2D shape' effects stages, and there is no 'Multiple 2D shape' effect, I'm running out of options. BUT the right click menu of the 'Simple 2D Shape' module offers a greyed out item called 'Render', which sounds pretty promising. Would the PRO version allow me to render a new file, so I could successively elimiante all the dots? Without losing overall image quality by multiple renderings?
Cheers!
Martini

Re: Camera sensor stain removal from footage? 1 year ago #153880

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 year ago
Martini_1311 wrote:
this way I can only cover up ONE dot at a time but I need to cover up multiple dots. As LW doesn't let me cascade multiple 'Simple 2D shape' effects stages, and there is no 'Multiple 2D shape' effect

There is, you know. Have a look at this.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

With your effects setting panel open, click on the "+" tab at the top. Find the simple 2D shape effect and drag it to the routing tab. The routing panel will open. Drag it into that and drop it. Repeat with the masked blend effect. Then arrange your routing as you need to.

Alternatively you could make an external mask shape with Photoshop or The Gimp, which is the way that I would deal with multiple spots. The spots won't move, so just export a frame that shows them all clearly, set up your mask pattern and save it as a white on black flattened image.

Finally. there are two user effects that will let you do that sort of repair without creating external mask shapes or using DVEs at all. The first is called Clone Stamp, and the second is Pixel Fixer. You'll find both in CLEANUP AND REPAIR. Of the two, Pixel Fixer may be the better solution for you, as it replaces damage by blending the surrounding pixels. The result is usually a completely invisible repair.
Last Edit: 1 year ago by jwrl.

Re: Camera sensor stain removal from footage? 1 year ago #153974

Thank you jwrl,

I've tried the Clone Stamp, basically it worked well, but strangely enough not on all the dots in the same way. Most of the dots to be covered show some strange circles around them in my preview window, plz see the screenshot attached, but only a few of those strange circles actually make it into the final output - not predictable at all (at least to me), and unfortunately not acceptable in this way.

I have not yet managed to get a proper result from using the 'Pixel Fixer' effect. Somehow it doesn't seem to change anything at all in my video file, but yeah, I'm still a rookie and will go on trying

I'll try the multiple 'simple 2D shape effects' and the 'external mask shape using Photoshop' over the weekend and come back to you.

Cheers so far!
Martini
Attachments:
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.36 seconds
Scroll To Top