Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Text appearing one word at a time?

Text appearing one word at a time? 1 year ago #152706

• SimonM7
  • Junior Boarder
  • 1 year ago
Hi!

I've been looking for a simple solution to this simple endeavour for two days now, so at the risk of asking something very, very obvious, here I go...

I'm trying to make a very simple effect where a list of text items appears on screen one by one, with some comedic/custom timing. I'm using the normal text/title effect in Lightworks, but I can't figure out a convenient method of doing this.

The way I currently have it is I'm adding several title effects after one another and adding a new word/list item to the paragraph with each one, positioning it so that it appears as a word is added at the bottom. The drawback of this is that it's a total nightmare to adjust afterwards, and just a pain in general to wrangle.

I've been speculating that maybe people do it with a full paragraph and a mask that is removed one word at a time? I honestly just don't know what the standard practice for this is. I've tried to find out on this forum and I've seen people suggest after effects or blender for more advanced animation/effect stuff, but that kinda seems like overkill for something this simple?

Bbbbbasically what I'm asking is an ultra-newbie question of how do people generally do this? How would YOU do this? What's probably the best way of doing it in Lightworks?

Huge thanks beforehand. You're a life saver. Or a hair saver anyway, because I'm tearing it out.

Re: Text appearing one word at a time? 1 year ago #152709

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 year ago
SimonM7 wrote:
I've been speculating that maybe people do it with a full paragraph and a mask that is removed one word at a time? I honestly just don't know what the standard practice for this is.

The right way is the way that solves the immediate problem. I'd be inclined to use one of khaver's Polymask effects and use it to progressively reveal the result. You'll find them in the user effects.
Last Edit: 1 year ago by jwrl.

Re: Text appearing one word at a time? 1 year ago #152713

• SimonM7
  • Junior Boarder
  • 1 year ago
That seems very promising. I'm gonna check that out right now. Thanks!

Re: Text appearing one word at a time? 1 year ago #152752

• SimonM7
  • Junior Boarder
  • 1 year ago
Is it possible to use normal text/titles and have the mask treat its background as transparent, so that the mask shows the text itself but not a shape of black background around it?

I've been wrestling with this for a while now, and it's dawning on me that I may have to make transparent PNGs or something for the text?

EDIT: Oh! Never mind, I think I got it!
Last Edit: 1 year ago by SimonM7.

Re: Text appearing one word at a time? 1 year ago #152799

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 year ago
If your fix is to route your background video into the bg input of the Polymask, you definitely have got it. There are alternative techniques possible, but that is the simplest.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.30 seconds
Scroll To Top