Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Lightworks crashing on export, forced to restart computer

Lightworks crashing on export, forced to restart computer 10 months, 2 weeks ago #151631

• Tipsyfish
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 10 months, 2 weeks ago
I've used Lightworks for some time now on a Windows 7 machine for making time-lapse videos and had never had an issue before. I had to switch to Windows 10 recently and now when I try to export a finished video the program crashes and pretty much causes my whole computer to run so slow and be so unresponsive that I have to manually restart it. Tried it a few times and I get the same result. The footage is being sped up 50,000% but I've done 100,000% on older versions and have never had this problem.

Also, for some reason it only imports a portion of some video files, sticking to around a third of the actual length. I've had that issue only with MP4 files exported from an "Elgato Game Capture" device no matter its age.

Re: Lightworks crashing on export, forced to restart computer 10 months, 2 weeks ago #151637

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 10 months, 2 weeks ago
This might be caused by media with variable frame rate mode, or maybe some footage containing GOPs longer than 255. A Crash during export could also be caused by damaged source files.

Native Elgato recording are known to make trouble from time to time.

All that could be easily fixed by transcoding prior to import, but it has to be done prior to import.

Please post a Mediainfo of a typical recording you use, if it’s different from that what I can see here:
www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=216&id=108330&limit=15&limitstart=60&Itemid=81#123689

Please add your computer details: OS version, CPU, RAM, GPU, manufacturer/model of hard drives you use for media and as system drive.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Lightworks crashing on export, forced to restart computer 10 months, 2 weeks ago #151648

• Tipsyfish
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 10 months, 2 weeks ago
It's the same sort of file but I'll send you one anyway. I would be transcoding ~35 hours of footage which I can do of course, would just prefer to not if I can.

CPU: AMD A8-3850 APU
RAM: 16GB
GPU: Ramdon HD
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 2TB
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Lightworks crashing on export, forced to restart computer 10 months, 2 weeks ago #151653

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 10 months, 2 weeks ago
Looking at technical data of this specific file it shouldn't make trouble while editing or exporting, but who kowns what happens within a file of 10 h 27 min duration?

Frankly, I don't believe that you will be able to control the problems you describe without transcoding everything as part of standardized workflow, and I'd suggest transcoding to an edit-friendly codec. This will fix possibly existing problem most likely, or at least it will detect damaged files. The benefit is reliable system behaviour and perfect editing performance, the trade off is transcoding time and file size.

Re: Lightworks crashing on export, forced to restart computer 10 months, 2 weeks ago #151654

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 10 months, 2 weeks ago
One additional question, is this a typo or did you really speed up this footage by 50,000%, that would 500 (five zero zero) times real time.
Last Edit: 10 months, 2 weeks ago by hugly.

Re: Lightworks crashing on export, forced to restart computer 10 months, 2 weeks ago #151659

• Tipsyfish
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 10 months, 2 weeks ago
I've done transcoding before and just made it into an MP4, I'll do that if need be.

And yes, I really did speed it up 50,000% as well as three other videos of similar length. I've sped footage up to 100,000% multiple times before (with up to eight videos of similar length) and didn't have these problems, I was using an older version (12.6) on Windows 7 however.

Re: Lightworks crashing on export, forced to restart computer 10 months, 2 weeks ago #151690

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 10 months, 2 weeks ago
Transcoding to mp4 containing AVC/AAC might cause additional trouble due to keyframe interval. What software do you use to convert?

As a user of the free version you can't use 12.6 anymore.

Speeding up above a certain amount (depending on your system and the footage) can cause serious performance problems in preview. Personally, I'd suggest to perform a first speedup with third party software while transcoding prior to import and then fine adjustments of speed in Lightworks. As a side effect this will decrease file size of imported file significantly.

Re: Lightworks crashing on export, forced to restart computer 10 months, 2 weeks ago #151701

• Tipsyfish
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 10 months, 2 weeks ago
I use FFMPEG.

Do you have any suggestions for third party software?

Re: Lightworks crashing on export, forced to restart computer 10 months, 2 weeks ago #151703

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 10 months, 2 weeks ago
FFmpeg is fine, because it is very versatile, on the other hand one can create unsuitable formats easily.

Eyeframe converter is an easy to use GUI for ffmbc (a ffmpeg fork), providing presets, please see: www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=6&id=118956&limit=15&limitstart=15&Itemid=81#119003

If you prefer using FFmpeg, I could provide suitable command lines.

EDIT: Speed up with EFC is also possible, but not with the default presets. I could provide tewaked command files for speed up with EFC as well.

Re: Lightworks crashing on export, forced to restart computer 10 months, 2 weeks ago #151705

• Tipsyfish
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 10 months, 2 weeks ago
If you can provide both the command lines and command files I'd appreciate it very much. Thank you.

Re: Lightworks crashing on export, forced to restart computer 10 months, 2 weeks ago #151708

• arniepix
    Pro User
  • 10 months, 2 weeks ago
There's a discussion thread just for sharing ffmpeg commands:

https://www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=23&id=121996&Itemid=81
post production is not an afterthought!

Re: Lightworks crashing on export, forced to restart computer 10 months, 2 weeks ago #151709

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 10 months, 2 weeks ago
arniepix,

That reminds me that this thread’s lost focus over the last months, unfortunately due to lack of posts and requests there and it doens’t contain any EFC command files.

The command line summary and the batch files listed there are still valid, but I prefer now; in most cases, providing command lines customized to specific demands.

Re: Lightworks crashing on export, forced to restart computer 10 months, 2 weeks ago #151713

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 10 months, 2 weeks ago
Tipsyfish,

Here you will find a procedure how to install Eyeframe converter with a command file for 12 x speed up:
www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=27&id=150298&Itemid=81#150457

Please try and tell if you're satisfied with quality and editing performance. Please use your original recordings not converted files.

If you are satisfied, I'll post ffmpeg command line(s).

Re: Lightworks crashing on export, forced to restart computer 10 months, 2 weeks ago #151727

• Tipsyfish
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 10 months, 2 weeks ago
The program crashes when trying to convert the files. Now it won't import any videos even after a re-install.

Re: Lightworks crashing on export, forced to restart computer 10 months, 2 weeks ago #151738

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 10 months, 2 weeks ago
Which program crashes?
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.60 seconds
Scroll To Top