Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Not a good first impression of this software.

Not a good first impression of this software. 8 months ago #150391

Right. So I got a GoPro Hero4 Session yesterday. My first action camera.

Played around with it, then decided I want to experiment with editing and so downloaded Lightworks.

Lightworks does not import the GoPro MP4 files. It gives the extremely helpful error message "Failure". In nice red letters to make sure I understand that it's not doing what I expect it to (as if I'm an idiot).

Really? In this day and age? It's not some obscure camera, it's a GoPro.

Now, the problem is probably easily fixable but I'm an old man (and possibly an idiot too) and I don't have time to bugger around with other people's cock-ups. It needs to work.

You can keep your software, I'll go elsewhere.

Thank you.

Re: Not a good first impression of this software. 8 months ago #150392

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 8 months ago
Welcome to the forum.

There can be issues with GoPro footage, which can involve than just simply directly importing it. Various problems can occur with other professional NLEs, so it's not limited to Lightworks.

Users will assist you through any of issues that can arise with your videos. However, unless you're willing to continue it's impossible to solve your importing difficulty. Solving this may be fairly simple, but further information will be required.
Last Edit: 8 months ago by briandrys.

Re: Not a good first impression of this software. 8 months ago #150394

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 8 months ago
Abominable Intelligence wrote:
Lightworks does not import the GoPro MP4 files. It gives the extremely helpful error message "Failure". In nice red letters to make sure I understand that it's not doing what I expect it to (as if I'm an idiot).

Really? In this day and age? It's not some obscure camera, it's a GoPro.

The message "Failure Finished" itself is idiotic because it gives neither any information about the cause of the problem nor where to find some additional information nor directions how to fix or to avoid it.

The disturbing effect of this message on many new users can be seen in various discussions on this forum.

Nevertheless, the problem should be fixable, but additional information is necessary to assist.

If you should be ready for a second try, a Mediainfo report showing technical details of your footage would be necessary and your computer specs (OS version, CPU, RAM, GPU, type of hard drive used for media).
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 8 months ago by hugly.

Re: Not a good first impression of this software. 8 months ago #150395

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 8 months ago
To be fair Lightworks will often give a reason for an import failure. We currently don't know if the OP is giving the full message, since "failure" comes in the single final line, after the reason is given.

Re: Not a good first impression of this software. 8 months ago #150398

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 8 months ago
The account of Abominable Intelligence is no longer active. This might indicate that the user is lost. If this existing message should be the reason, I think it's pretty fair to name it what it is, idiotic:

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Not a good first impression of this software. 8 months ago #150399

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 8 months ago
You can also get a reason for the failure.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Since Abominable Intelligence appears to have given up, an answer won't be found in this case, the cause may be more complex than one of the standard failure reasons.

Re: Not a good first impression of this software. 8 months ago #150404

GoPro shoot a variety of resolutions and framerates that are not NLE friendly. They recommend transcoding to cineform with the free GoPro studio app.
Razz

Digital Bolex 2k Cinema DNG raw camera
Canon GL2 DV camcorder
iPAD Mini 3 Iographer rig

Workstation: Intel i7-4770k, Asrock Z87 Thunderbolt 2 MB, 16GB 1866 DDR3 ram,
2TB Seagate Hybrid system drive, 2TB Seagate NAS media drive, E-sata III hot swap drive bay, Nvidia GTX760 2GB GPU
Lightworks kybrd. Shuttlepro v2
Win10 Pro 64bit, Lightworks 14.0 64bit

Mobile Workstation: MSI GTX72 Dominator
Intel i7-6700HQ 2.7GHz Win10 64bit
16GB DDR4 ram, 500GB M.2 SSD
Nvidia GTX970 3GB GPU
USB3, USB3.1-C, Thunderbolt 3 ports
Shuttlepro2 Win10 64bit LW 14.0 64 bit

Re: Not a good first impression of this software. 8 months ago #150405

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 8 months ago
David Rasberry wrote:
GoPro shoot a variety of resolutions and framerates that are not NLE friendly. They recommend transcoding to cineform with the free GoPro studio app.

That’s true, but it can't be a reason for the NLE to appear unfriendly to users.

Abominable Intelligence wrote:
It gives the extremely helpful error message "Failure". In nice red letters to make sure I understand that it's not doing what I expect it to (as if I'm an idiot).

Re: Not a good first impression of this software. 8 months ago #150412

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 8 months ago
It's a summary error report. Same as with program "has stopped responding" in Windows.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: Not a good first impression of this software. 8 months ago #150414

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 8 months ago
This arguably poor Windows message explains at least what's happening, a certain program has stopped responding.

What means "Failure Finished"?

Re: Not a good first impression of this software. 8 months ago #150418

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 8 months ago
It means that the summary is a failure has occurred and the operation has finished as a result. When a Windows program stops responding in the Windows environment, do you then go into the diagnostic records and examine the problem? No. You go on the internet and complain.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: Not a good first impression of this software. 8 months ago #150424

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 8 months ago
I just consulted Google looking for "Failure Finished" what I found is finsh failures.

Re: Not a good first impression of this software. 8 months ago #150436

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 8 months ago
It may have escaped the attention of you guys, but the OP posted once then left. By continuing your argument all that you're doing is furthering their aim - to bring this post to the top of the stack. I don't think that any further comment is necessary.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.60 seconds
Scroll To Top