Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Speed Percents?

Re: Speed Percents? 11 months ago #150458

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 11 months ago
Is mjpeg the best choice for this application?
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: Speed Percents? 11 months ago #150463

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 11 months ago
The question is, what else?

MPEG2-Intra doesn't play with Windows media player, ProRes will convert extremely slow, I didn't want to use AVC, DNxHD won't most likely run with the free version, DVCPro100 is anamorphic (and designed for interlaced sources), image sequences are too massive.

What's left for a fast-editing format with reduced file size and fast transcoding speed?

The resulting quality of MJpeg should be good for animation type of footage.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Speed Percents? 11 months ago #150481

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 11 months ago
Well that's just it. Being animation, why not use an animation codec? I assume screen capture probably with avc/mp4 yet we're looking at going to a lossy image sequence.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: Speed Percents? 11 months ago #150502

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 11 months ago
In reality most animation that I have handled professionally has been supplied as Targa or TIFF sequences. When importing if the NLE or compositor can't handle it, it's usually converted on the fly to a production format. I've used DNx series codecs and ProRes, but never MJPEG.

But the choice of codec used is actually decided by the delivery requirements.
Last Edit: 11 months ago by jwrl.

Re: Speed Percents? 11 months ago #150506

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 11 months ago
In my opinion, this decision should be achieved by:

1. Best practice.
2. Standard practice.
3. personal preference.

In that order.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: Speed Percents? 11 months ago #150513

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 11 months ago
With a look to the original material, the given information about hardware and knowledge, I believe that Eyeframe converter using the customized command file above is an appropriate solution to achieve a pre-ingest speedup for AVC 720p speedpainting without visible quality loss at reasonable transcoding times and file sizes, playable with Windows Media Player and editable fluently even with comparably low CPU power and slow hard drive.

Re: Speed Percents? 11 months ago #150514

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 11 months ago
donkpow wrote:
In my opinion, this decision should be achieved by:

1. Best practice.
2. Standard practice.
3. personal preference.

In that order.

Who's around to tell about Best Practice, Standard Practice and even Personal Preferences with a speed painting recorded at 156 Kbps applying a speed-up of 1600%?
Last Edit: 11 months ago by hugly.

Re: Speed Percents? 11 months ago #150531

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 11 months ago
Transcoding the stream to a lossy format is a mistake, irregardless of the bit rate. Better to extract all information to a lossless format. Free version Lightworks users can't export mjpeg, anyway.

I like Targa for richness in color. Whether or not that opinion is subjective or not, I don't know. I make title graphics using Targa. It is my understanding tiff is an excellent codec for professional use. I had some trouble moving between applications with my images using tiff so I reverted to my personally preferred IS codec of png. I can containerize a png image sequence which makes it easier to handle.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: Speed Percents? 11 months ago #150532

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 11 months ago
EFC command lines to create speeded-up Targa, Tiff, or PNG image sequences would be nice to see.

OP could compare then what's best for his application and his computer.
Last Edit: 11 months ago by hugly.

Re: Speed Percents? 10 months, 4 weeks ago #150968

• TimelordSnowy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 10 months, 4 weeks ago
Donkpow
You and I must have different definitions of editing then..cause I consider speeding up a video editing.

Hugly
Thanks. Ill try that out next time I record something

Re: Speed Percents? 10 months, 4 weeks ago #150974

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 10 months, 4 weeks ago
I suspect that donkpow is telling you something you need to know and hugly is telling you what you want to know.

Give a man a fish...

Re: Speed Percents? 10 months, 3 weeks ago #151014

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 10 months, 3 weeks ago
Isn't that what you can handle, that what you need, especially if you want it?
Last Edit: 10 months, 3 weeks ago by hugly.

Re: Speed Percents? 10 months, 3 weeks ago #151183

• TimelordSnowy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 10 months, 3 weeks ago
..Didnt even see the whole other page of replies till today..my bad. I think Im even more confused now.

jwrl
Not sure what you mean? If its something I Need to know then why are they making it hard to understand? Because as it stands I do not understand what they are talking about.

I literally just needed to know how to translate WMM speed ups of 16x to Lightworks speed up percents. The only other things I do in my videos is add music and the picture of the finished product at the end. I am honestly beginning to regret asking this question because as it stands Ive come out of this more confused then when I started. I have not a single clue as to what you people are talking about when you started debating these different things and have not a clue as to how it effects my original question when all I wanted to know was the translations. I honestly dont care about anything else. If I can get the video to upload to youtube with a halfway decent quality then I am perfectly happy and fine.

Re: Speed Percents? 10 months, 3 weeks ago #151186

• mediaDS
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 10 months, 3 weeks ago
TimelordSnowy wrote:
I literally just needed to know how to translate WMM speed ups of 16x to Lightworks speed up percents.

I did exactly that as a direct reply (second post). What else do you need? Is that still too complicated for you?
Windows 10 Pro • Asus Z170 Mainboard • Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake, 4 x 4.20 Ghz • 32 GB DDR4 Memory • Noctua Cooling system • Nvidia GeForce GTX1060 6GB DDR5 • Blackmagic Intensity Pro • Samsung SSD 840 500 GB (Data) and 250 GB (System) • 30 TB Asustor NAS (Media) • LG 34UB67 21:9 Ultra-Wide Display 34" @ 2560x1080 • Logitech Bluetooth K810 and M557 • Wacom Intuous Wireless Graphic Tablet • Contour ShuttleXpress • APC Back-UPS 1400VA
Last Edit: 10 months, 3 weeks ago by mediaDS.

Re: Speed Percents? 10 months, 3 weeks ago #151198

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 10 months, 3 weeks ago
You asked a question after mediaDS' response that unfortunately requires a complex answer if you want to be able to make balanced assessments of your needs in future projects. However I'll attempt to break it down into a simpler form.

In general, smooth editing on non-linear editors requires the ability to be able to access each individual frame as quickly as possible. A lot of cheap cameras and capture software records in a format where that is not really possible. The advantage is very small file sizes. The disadvantage from the NLE's point of view is that they have to reconstruct frames to display them which can slow the process down significantly.

So the bottom line is this:

1. Capture formats like MP4 and similar are small and fast to capture but poor when used as a source for editing.
  2. Production formats like DNxHD and ProRes can produce very much larger files than capture formats do, but in general are a good source for editing.

The foregoing discussion in part dealt with this. To get from the first format to the second requires a transcode operation, for which there are tools available - even Lightworks itself. Should you need further information about that aspect of things, just ask.

There are also other issues that have a bearing on file format decisions but for the moment that's probably all that you really need to take away from this.
Last Edit: 10 months, 3 weeks ago by jwrl.
Time to create page: 0.34 seconds
Scroll To Top