Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Speed Percents?

Speed Percents? 1 year, 3 months ago #150298

• TimelordSnowy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 year, 3 months ago
Hello. I am not sure if this is the place to ask this(this forum is real confusing to me) so sorry if it isn't but anyway. I need some help. I've been using windows movie maker for speedpaints and stuff but a person recommended this to me so I thought id give it a go. however the playback doesn't work for me normally. I did find a way to make it work(I think. I did not do extensive testing) however I do not wish to jump through that many hoops with giant file sizes just to make them when WMM is a much faster process. So anyway. What I need to know is what percent is 16x speed? Which is what I normally use for my sped up videos. and how would I translate the whole 16x/8x etc to a percent in case I need a different speed from 16x? I can not find out because of said playback issue and it taking forever to make everything work. If someone could help me with the 2 questions I have It'd be much appreciated. Thank you.

Re: Speed Percents? 1 year, 3 months ago #150299

• mediaDS
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 3 months ago
TimelordSnowy wrote:
16x

imho:

100% = 1x (original playback speed)
150% = 1.5x
200% = 2x
300% = 3x
400% = 4x
500% = 5x
600% = 6x
1600% = 16x

and so forth. What exactly does not work with your playback? We need a bit more informations about your system and your video(s). Please provide a Mediainfo report (download Mediainfo above -> Downloads -> Useful Tools).
Windows 10 Pro • Asus Z170 Mainboard • Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake, 4 x 4.20 Ghz • 32 GB DDR4 Memory • Noctua Cooling system • Nvidia GeForce GTX1060 6GB DDR5 • Blackmagic Intensity Pro • Samsung SSD 840 500 GB (Data) and 250 GB (System) • 30 TB Asustor NAS (Media) • LG 34UB67 21:9 Ultra-Wide Display 34" @ 2560x1080 • Logitech Bluetooth K810 and M557 • Wacom Intuous Wireless Graphic Tablet • Contour ShuttleXpress • APC Back-UPS 1400VA
Last Edit: 1 year, 3 months ago by mediaDS.

Re: Speed Percents? 1 year, 3 months ago #150301

• TimelordSnowy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 year, 3 months ago
Pretty sure I already know the issue because I looked it up and using the eyeframe converter thing fixed it. It just creates massive files and takes forever and I only need to speed up videos and add music. I dont really even need the playback but I didn't know how fast I needed to set it for 16x. But heres the info on one of my video segments. I record in parts and add it all together in WMM. And I dont know anything about my computer or how to find that info besides the fact its windows and a Toshiba and Im pretty sure its 64 bit.

General
Complete name : C:\Users\Kaylie\Videos\OBS\2017-06-20 18-22-05.mp4
Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : Base Media
Codec ID : isom (isom/iso2/avc1/mp41)
File size : 20.8 MiB
Duration : 17 min 28 s
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 166 kb/s
Writing application : Lavf57.41.100

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L3.1
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
Codec ID : avc1
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
Bit rate : 156 kb/s
Width : 1 280 pixels
Height : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 30.000 FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.006
Stream size : 19.5 MiB (94%)
Writing library : x264 core 148 r2721 72d53ab
Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=1 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=hex / subme=2 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=0 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=0 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=0 / threads=6 / lookahead_threads=2 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=1 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=10 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=21.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00

Audio
ID : 2
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile : LC
Codec ID : 40
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 2 067 b/s
Maximum bit rate : 128 kb/s
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : Front: L R
Sampling rate : 44.1 kHz
Frame rate : 43.066 FPS (1024 spf)
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 265 KiB (1%)
Title : simple_aac_recording
Default : Yes
Alternate group : 1

Re: Speed Percents? 1 year, 3 months ago #150308

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 3 months ago
To start with Lightworks V14 watching this video gives a short but good overview.

After creating a new project, import your source clips via Create Link and insert the clips into the timeline.

To apply a speed change to a clip, right-click on the clip in the timeline, from menu select "Speed", a panel opens, enter manually 1600 for 16x speed-up, press enter to confirm the value, select Method "Resize" and click "Do It". Repeat for all clips in the timeline. You can modify speed values at any time.

When you wish to change speed of a part of a source clip use empty cuts (C-key) to divide the clip into parts you want to apply the speed change to.

Depending on your computer it could be that a 16x speed-up exceeds playback capabilities but skipping through timeline with the mouse will be possible and export will be ok. To make the video playable in this case, (pre-) speed-up prior to import (e.g. 8x) with third party software (FFmpeg for example) will help to improve performance. I could provide command and lines, when necessary and if you wish.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Speed Percents? 1 year, 3 months ago #150310

• TimelordSnowy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 year, 3 months ago
..Ok you lost me after the that first line after the video. Ill watch it when I get a chance. and if Im not mistaken it also frozen with out any editing. So I dont think it has to do with speed or stuff at all. But like I said I technically dont even need the playback. I dont use it in WMM I just look at the length of the video because I try to make them below 10 mins or so.

Also What do you mean command and lines?and whats FFmpeg? Ive only heard of eyeframe converter to change files before putting them into lightworks and that was after some extensive digging to find why my playback was freezing.

Re: Speed Percents? 1 year, 3 months ago #150312

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 year, 3 months ago
I suspect you'll need to do the speed change in the flexible layout, since the fixed layout doesn't go up 1600% and this needs to be manually typed in, which can only be done with the flexible one.

Correction, you can once you go into resize as hugly mentions.
Last Edit: 1 year, 3 months ago by briandrys.

Re: Speed Percents? 1 year, 3 months ago #150313

• TimelordSnowy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 year, 3 months ago
I use the flexible layout yes. I looked at some tutorials on how to speed up things in the first place and they all used that layout so I figured out how to switch it to that to make things easier for myself.

Re: Speed Percents? 1 year, 2 months ago #150327

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 2 months ago
I'll just throw this out there since I've seen a couple of comments about it lately. We have seen positive indication that WMM (Windows Movie Maker) creates dodgy streams. It is good for what it does but you may run into inconsistency with the files when you go to edit them.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: Speed Percents? 1 year, 2 months ago #150331

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 2 months ago
Ill watch it when I get a chance.

Lightworks is very different from Movie Maker. It has far more functions. You won't be able to learn Lightworks by trial and error. Without understanding some basics (from official video tutorials and documentation) the first steps into the new software can get quickly very frustrating.

If you're in a hurry and you’ve to finish your work quickly and no time left to learn the basics then I'd say, stay with Movie Maker.

Re: Speed Percents? 1 year, 2 months ago #150361

• TimelordSnowy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 year, 2 months ago
I do not need anything fast no. I haven't had time but when I get some I was planning on looking for tutorials and such and mess with the program. I told the person who recommended it to me I only need a program that can speed up videos and add music since that's all I do to my videos at the moment and as it stands WMM works fine for that right now. I've just been looking for an alternative because apparently you can no longer download WMM or something so if I ever get a new computer(which more then likely will happen at some point) I'll need an alternative. But I have time to learn I was more just wanting to know how speeds listed like they are in WMM(16x/8x etc) translated to the percent system light works uses

Re: Speed Percents? 1 year, 2 months ago #150384

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 2 months ago
The strength of Lightworks lies in the way you edit. It's not the software I would choose to process videos in other ways. It does other things like effects, speed changes, etc. It's just that the way of editing is its strength.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: Speed Percents? 1 year, 2 months ago #150406

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 2 months ago
TimelordSnowy,

I believe Lightworks is the best replacement for Windows Movie Maker you can get. It has by far more features even in the free version and the learning curve to get your first edits done isn't steep.

If you need assistance to prepare your footage for best possible performance for speed painting, come back and ask. I've prepared some command lines usable with easy-to-handle Eyeframe Converter for this purpose.

Re: Speed Percents? 1 year, 2 months ago #150435

• TimelordSnowy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 year, 2 months ago
Donkpow
I'm sorry..what? I never mentioned processing videos? What are you talking about? I said I was gonna use this to edit if something happens and I lose WMM or something since you can no longer download it that I know of.

Hugly
Ok. What do you mean command lines? And "best possible performance" what do you mean by this too?(sorry if I sound kinda..stupid? (I guess is the word I'd use?) I haven't actually made any sorta videos in I think close to 4 years and most of them I never edited cause I didn't even have WMM (and didn't know how to get it on my comp for awhile) and I've certainly never messed with any program more advanced than WMM so all of this is..new) thank you for the help

Re: Speed Percents? 1 year, 2 months ago #150437

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 2 months ago
TimelordSnowy wrote:
Donkpow
I'm sorry..what? I never mentioned processing videos? What are you talking about?
Changing the speed of a video.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: Speed Percents? 1 year, 2 months ago #150457

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 2 months ago
TimelordSnowy,

The easiest way to speed up your footage is to use third party software. I've prepared and attached a zipped archive containing a command file for Eyframe converter which speeds up your footage by 16 times (without audio tracks). You can use the resulting files as they are, or you can import them into Lightworks to cut and trim, to add effects and audio. Also additional speed-up is possible (but I wouldn’t slow it down in Lightworks, in order to avoid duplicate frame).

This is a procedure using Eyeframe converter with a customized preset for your speed paintings:

1. Download and install EFC: eyeframeconverter.wordpress.com/download/ (*)
2. Download and unzip the preset I’ve attached below and place the .txt file into the folder at
C:\Users\Public\Documents\EyeFrame Data\Formats for edit
3. Start EFC and drag and drop your video file(s) into the EFC window.
4. Select from Editing tab SpeedPaint x 16 MJpeg-420 - No Audio - No Proxy
5. Uncheck the box "Create files and folders ..." to disable proxy creation, start conversion.

The resulting file(s) will be playable with Windows Media Player. If you wish to use Lightworks, import the converted file using Create Link method.

(*) Please note: The file to download is EyeFrame_Setup.exe. If there should be add-ons, please skip.

This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Please note also: Using this command file the progress bar of EFC won't show the correct values, it moves far too slow.
Last Edit: 1 year, 2 months ago by hugly.
Time to create page: 0.55 seconds
Scroll To Top