Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Not finding seperate audio tracks

Not finding seperate audio tracks 1 year ago #146798

• Parember
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 year ago
So I'm attempting to record videos with isolated audio tracks. In OBS I set it so that there's three channels, and in VLC Media Player, I can find they are all present. However, when I import the video file into Lightworks, it just has 3 copies of the original channel. Any ideas on a fix?

Re: Not finding seperate audio tracks 1 year ago #146801

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year ago
Hello and welcome!

You encountered and describe a know bug of Lightworks related to multitrack audio in different containers when h.264/AVCHD video stream is present.

Unfortunately none of the standard container settings of OBS will fix the problem.

To fix the problem you can strip off audio (with Audacity for example) and import it separately. This method assumes that you recorded with x264 library and variable frame rate was disabled.

The second method would be to convert the complete video, to ProRes or MPEG2-Intra with PCM audio. FFmpeg could be used to do that for example.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 1 year ago by hugly.

Re: Not finding seperate audio tracks 1 year ago #146802

• Parember
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 year ago
Thanks for the response, I'll look into the methods you described.

Re: Not finding seperate audio tracks 1 year ago #146804

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year ago
If you should need support with FFmpeg come back and ask, I could provide tested command lines for that purpose.

Re: Not finding seperate audio tracks 1 year ago #146813

• Parember
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 year ago
If I could get the command lines for FFmpeg, that'd be great.

Re: Not finding seperate audio tracks 1 year ago #146819

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year ago
There are many possibilities.

Could you give me an idea of your OBS settings, your computer details (OS version, CPU, RAM, GPU and type hard drive you use for media) and if possible also a Mediainfo report of one typical recording.

This would make it easier to provide good proposals for you.

Re: Not finding seperate audio tracks 1 year ago #146823

• Parember
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 year ago
Going in order of requests. Apologies in advance if the info is derp, I'm still new to this.

My usual OBS settings use QuickSync encoder set to record out to .mp4. Bad I know, I'll probably be changing to .mov later on.

RAM: 8GB
CPU: Intel Core i7-6500U
GPU: Nvidia GTX 960M
Hard Drive: Uh...the one that came in the laptop? It's not SSD, that I can certainly say.

Here's the Mediainfo report of a usual sample. It's worth noting this will be the absolute highest I'll have my bitrate set to, I'll be experimenting with settings later to see if I can get it lower.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Not finding seperate audio tracks 1 year ago #146827

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year ago
Thank you for the information.

I assume you use OBS Studio 18.0.1.

I might be wrong, but I thought Quicksync is only available when using onboard Intel Graphics and not with Nvidia GPU. The above looks more like a x264 recording without Hardware encoder, bitrate set to constant 25.000.

Allow some more questions:
Is this a game recording or something else?
Do you really need 60fps or would be 30 fps enough?
Did you use OBS to downscale from native 1080p to 720p?

Re: Not finding seperate audio tracks 1 year ago #146831

• Parember
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 year ago
This is recording a game, specifically Overwatch. I'm iffy on the specifics, but as long as any kind of Intel driver is present, Quicksync is an option. I elected to use it since it typically experiences the lowest load on my system and x264 default was being finicky.

I would really like to keep 60 fps when possible, the kind of content I plan on recording would benefit.

I did use OBS to downscale, but not from 1080p. For some weird reason, the highest resolution I can get on my machine is 1366x768.
Last Edit: 1 year ago by Parember.

Re: Not finding seperate audio tracks 1 year ago #146832

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year ago
All that makes sense, thanks.

I'm not sure if Qucksync recording contains possinly (like ohter hardware based methods) hidden variable frame rates not detected by Mediainfo which could lead to sync issues between audio and video. This will be fixed by transcoding anyway.

I'm going to put things together might take a few minutes.

Re: Not finding seperate audio tracks 1 year ago #146833

• Parember
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 year ago
Take your time. I'll be here with the page open in another tab, I don't have much to do tonight.

Re: Not finding seperate audio tracks 1 year ago #146834

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year ago
That's what I'd suggest for you:

AVCHD 420 template
ffmpeg -i "<INPUT>" -vsync cfr -map 0 -c:v libx264 -pix_fmt yuv420p -profile:v high -preset medium -crf 20 -x264opts keyint=60 -c:a pcm_s16le -ar 48000 -y -threads 4 -f mov "<OUTPUT>.MOV"

ProRess 422 SQ template
ffmpeg -i "<NPUT>" -vsync cfr -map 0 -c:v prores_ks -pix_fmt yuv422p10le -profile:v 2 -q:v 4 -c:a pcm_s16le -ar 48000 -y -f mov "<OUTPUT>.MOV"

The first one is a highly compressed long GOP format and I wouldn't use it for 1080p on a laptop but it should be editable fluently with 720p sources.

The second one is a real intermediate codec with I-Frames only (GOP=1). It will be perfectly editable, but the price is a much bigger file size (maybe also a better quality level). Compare and make your choice.

Both templates must be adapted to the location of ffmpeg.exe, and <INPUT> and <OUTPUT> replaced with real file names. You could integrate the path to ffmpeg.exe into the SYSTEM PATH variable. This makes it obsolete to specify the location of ffmpeg in the command line.

I integrated the first command line into a DOS batch file for usage by drag and drop. It assumes that you have downloaded most recent ffmpeg static build, and the binaries are unzipped and ffmpeg.exe is placed in a folder C:\Public\Bin (you can modify that if you wish. If the path contains blanks, set a pair of quotation marks).

Save the batch file to a place of your choice (I've attached the file for direct download). Drag and drop files onto the batch file to start conversion. The transcoded files will be placed in a subfolder "\Transcode" within the source folder. To drag and drop multiple file and folders at once onto the batch is possible, but the selection must contain valid video files only.

:: FFmpeg_AVCHD_PCM_Multitrack.bat
:: Basic batch template for ffmpeg command line, Redmond classic style
:: No error handling whatsoever
:: If you don't understand it don't use it
:: Drag and Drop valid files and folders onto this batch file to execute
@echo off
SETLOCAL
md Transcode
:hugly
if "%~1" EQU "" goto mugly
SET "FFREPORT=file=%~n1%~x1.log:level=32"
:: AVCHD 420
C:\Public\Bin\ffmpeg -i "%~1" -vsync cfr -map 0 -c:v libx264 -pix_fmt yuv420p -profile:v high -preset medium -crf 20 -x264opts keyint=60 -c:a pcm_s16le -ar 48000 -y -threads 4 "%~dp1\Transcode\%~n1.MOV"
shift
goto hugly
:mugly
SET "FFREPORT=
PAUSE
EXIT
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Not finding seperate audio tracks 1 year ago #146835

• Parember
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 year ago
Thank you so much for the resource, this is likely the last step in establishing my new setup.

Thank you again, take care.

Re: Not finding seperate audio tracks 1 year ago #146839

• Parember
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 year ago
Getting an error on both saying there's too many packets buffered for output stream 0:1, assuming that's the game volume that OBS grabbed.

Re: Not finding seperate audio tracks 1 year ago #146841

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year ago
Ok,

I tested with some of my own captures and other files.

Would you mind to make a piece of footage showing that error downloadable at a file hoster of your choice and post a link. I'd check it here and try to find a fix.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.64 seconds
Scroll To Top