Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Transitions.... Is there an inside joke going on here?

Transitions.... Is there an inside joke going on here? 1 year, 4 months ago #145509

• edjski
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 year, 4 months ago
v14 on Linux Mint 18 Mate

Is there a reason why dissolving to black is nearly impossible? I say "nearly" rather than "completely" because while trying to dissolve a clip to black I actually saw it happen.... until I made the mistake of tweaking the timing. Now it is elusive.

I really enjoy the insanity of selecting an edit point -say the beginning of a clip, highlighting the beginning of the clip (so it turns yellow) and watching the OTHER END OF THE CLIP move... Then trying the opposite (highlighting the end of the blank space before the clip so that it turns yellow) and seeing the entire clip move. For whatever reasoning, highlighting BOTH the clip and the blank space before the clip so that both are yellow is the trick. Not at all intuitive. Its like finding a recognizable tool -like a hammer that when you use it, it doesn't hit the nail you are trying to hit but rather a different nail. The hammer *looks* like something you're familiar with but produces an unexpected result.

Is it possible to actually,reliably and consistently fade a clip to or from black?

I'm sure I'm the idiot here.

Re: Transitions.... Is there an inside joke going on here? 1 year, 4 months ago #145512

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 year, 4 months ago
Welcome to the forum.

Fading in or out is a dissolve to black, setting one up is very simple. However, it sounds like you've entered trim by left clicking instead of right clicking.

Use the "a" or "s" keys or the scroll wheel to accurately place the playhead over the cut if using F8 keyboard method or just right click on the join; select either "from here" "to here" depending on if you're fading in or out. Ensure that there is a gap between clips in the timelines, so you're not fading between directly joined clips.

Here are the warning messages that may arise with transitions.

www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=7&id=143120&Itemid=81
Last Edit: 1 year, 4 months ago by briandrys.

Re: Transitions.... Is there an inside joke going on here? 1 year, 4 months ago #145553

• edjski
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 year, 4 months ago
Hey Brian, thanks for the quick reply!
briandrys wrote:
Welcome to the forum.

Fading in or out is a dissolve to black, setting one up is very simple. However, it sounds like you've entered trim by left clicking instead of right clicking.

Use the "a" or "s" keys or the scroll wheel to accurately place the playhead over the cut if using F8 keyboard method or just right click on the join; select either "from here" "to here" depending on if you're fading in or out.

Normally, my intuition is that "From Here" would result in a fade up FROM black rather than a fade out FROM the clip and that a "To Here" would result in a fade out TO black rather than a fade up TO the clip. Is my intuition correct?

Ensure that there is a gap between clips in the timelines, so you're not fading between directly joined clips.

What happens if there is no gap -should that result in a crossfade? And if not, how does one create a crossfade dissolve? -Everytime I try I get the 'not enough overlapping media' msg but I'm not certain on how to remedy that...

BTW, I'm not certain that I'm not experiencing bugs as this action/process seems particularly finicky. It is certainly possible that I'm simply missing a specific detail which is making it harder for me.

-Ed
Last Edit: 1 year, 4 months ago by edjski.

Re: Transitions.... Is there an inside joke going on here? 1 year, 4 months ago #145554

• edjski
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 year, 4 months ago
okay, I've successfully faded out (to black) from a clip and faded in (from black) to the next clip!

Thanks briandrys!

Re: Transitions.... Is there an inside joke going on here? 1 year, 4 months ago #145556

• edjski
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 year, 4 months ago
Okay, I got the dissolve to work. The problem is that Lightworks doesn't make it clear that the tracks are overlapping -the link you provided with the "visualization" made all the difference. This is essentially how Vegas Video handles dissolves but Vegas creates the dissolve automatically when a clip is dragged over another clip and the visual changes to show the crossfade. Perhaps Lightworks is moving in that direction?

Anyways, thanks for the quick reply, this has made Lightworks infinitely more usable. I'm hoping to find enough reasons to make a purchase -this definitely moves me closer.

Re: Transitions.... Is there an inside joke going on here? 1 year, 4 months ago #145557

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 year, 4 months ago
edjski wrote:

Normally, my intuition is that "From Here" would result in a fade up FROM black rather than a fade out FROM the clip and that a "To Here" would result in a fade out TO black rather than a fade up TO the clip. Is my intuition correct?

Yes, the "from" and "to" and refer to the start and finish of the clip.

What happens if there is no gap -should that result in a crossfade? And if not, how does one create a crossfade dissolve? -Everytime I try I get the 'not enough overlapping media' msg but I'm not certain on how to remedy that...

If there is no gap, Lightsworks will assume that you want to be put in a dissolve, or wipe etc.

A crossfade is the audio equivalent of the dissolve - a mix.

Everytime I try I get the 'not enough overlapping media' msg but I'm not certain on how to remedy that.

It's not a bug, Lightworks is pointing out that you have a fundamental problem, you haven't got an overlap with your current clip arrangement. The thread I linked to shows the causes and solutions to 'not enough overlapping media'.

Re: Transitions.... Is there an inside joke going on here? 1 year, 4 months ago #145559

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 year, 4 months ago
I doubt Lightworks will move towards Vegas, in most things it puts the editor in charge. If you create a subclip, as is the case in other NLEs, that is complete in itself, so two side by side in the timeline won't have anything left for an overlap.

However, if need be, you can convert a subclip back to a source clip.

By making your subclips over length then mark and parking the section you need, there will usually be enough for transitions. A lot of selecting can be done in the bins before you put clips into the timeline.

EDIT You don't need to use a Vegas style trimmer, a lot can be done in the bin.

Re: Transitions.... Is there an inside joke going on here? 1 year, 4 months ago #145576

• edjski
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 year, 4 months ago
Understood. Thanks for the explanations.
I'll have to work a bit more with the clips in the bin. I'm really comfortable with the fluidity of the Vegas style of editing, the way the user interacts directly with the video clip feels natural to me.
However, running Linux distros primarily and not wanting to bounce to Windows just to edit video means I need to learn new methods. Which is never a bad thing. So far I'm liking what Lightworks 14 offers.

Thanks again, I'm sure I'll have more questions in the future!

Re: Transitions.... Is there an inside joke going on here? 1 year, 4 months ago #145579

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 year, 4 months ago
I've got Vegas, but Lightworks allows you to deal with large quantities of material, organise it and present it to you better than Vegas.

Vegas uses a digital audio workstation model, while Lightworks has a film editing model. Vegas is better with audio, while Lightworks is better with editing stories.

There are two layouts with V14, so you've got options there.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.38 seconds
Scroll To Top