Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: A couple of simple VFX questions

A couple of simple VFX questions 10 months, 1 week ago #143833

• JimDaddyO
  • Junior Boarder
  • 10 months, 1 week ago
I have been watching the new tutorial, and in it he says that he has 3 effects on the VFX panel there by default (settings tab). How do you get that to happen so they are there for every clip? I find I want to use Colour Correction and 2D DVE on every clip, so I would like to have them there whenever I click the VFX tab.

The other thing I would like to do is set the colour correction once and have that setting over every clip (or group of clips). My shop is lit with 6500K bulbs and I would like to take some of the blue hue out of everything, so being able to repeat the setting over every clip that needs it would handy. I am still experimenting with which slider in the RBG tab works best (Gamma, Contrast, Brightness, or Gain) to get the blue hue out of things, so a tip there would help too.

Thanks folks. Probably an easy thing, but I can't seem to figure it out.

Re: A couple of simple VFX questions 10 months, 1 week ago #143856

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 10 months, 1 week ago
Hi,

Each effect defined as Favorite will show up in "VFX.Setting.Auto effects" and "VFX.Graphs.Auto effects" menu. You can activate/deactivate each single Auto effect there. As soon as you make any adjustment to an effect activated as Auto effect it will show up on the marked section, or on the clip the playhead is placed on when no marked section exists.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

To apply Colour correction to all clips of an edit (sequence) at once, mark and park the entire length of the timeline, add Colour correction (or Colour temperature, or similar) and adjust to your needs.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 10 months, 1 week ago by hugly.

Re: A couple of simple VFX questions 10 months, 1 week ago #143862

• JimDaddyO
  • Junior Boarder
  • 10 months, 1 week ago
Thanks, I knew it had to be easy, I just could not figure it out.

Re: A couple of simple VFX questions 10 months, 1 week ago #143888

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 10 months, 1 week ago
First question: does your camera have a white balance adjustment? It would be far better to not need to correct everything in post. Apart from the additional time it adds it can also degrade your image if you need to apply too much colour correction to an image. You can start to see contouring artefacts around colour transitions, for example.

However if you absolutely have to correct in this way, adjust one shot then save the settings as a template. To do this is simple. In your settings window click on the cogs icon at the top right. You will see a menu that includes the choice "Save as template..". In "Fixed" mode you instead select the VFX tab, then right-click in a blank area of the settings pane on the left of screen. You will then get a chance to name the template something sensible and save it. Remember to add it to your favourites before you save it.
Last Edit: 10 months, 1 week ago by jwrl.

Re: A couple of simple VFX questions 10 months, 1 week ago #143899

• JimDaddyO
  • Junior Boarder
  • 10 months, 1 week ago
I am shooting in "auto" mode which has no white balance adjustment. I will try in other modes. New camera, not accustomed to it yet. As I mentioned, I have 6500K bulbs in the shop. That is causing the very slight blue hue. It does not need much correction, but it needs some.

I will make a template too like you suggested, thanks for the lesson. I will try shooting in other modes too and try the white balance on the camera if I can figure that out too.

Re: A couple of simple VFX questions 10 months, 1 week ago #143901

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 10 months, 1 week ago
I have 6500K bulbs in the shop
Might also be worth testing your material with the simple 'Colour Temperature' FX tool.
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: A couple of simple VFX questions 10 months, 1 week ago #143902

• JimDaddyO
  • Junior Boarder
  • 10 months, 1 week ago
Awesome...I didn't know that was there. I just opened up and found it. Thank you.

Re: A couple of simple VFX questions 10 months, 1 week ago #143917

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 10 months, 1 week ago
It's well worth digging around in the camera menus. Many consumer camera have a range of templates for a creating the basic look of your image in the camera. This has quality advantages when recording on the compressed codecs used on the cameras.

It's a method that was used on the early HD broadcast cameras. The difference being that the Digital Imaging Technician (DIT) responsible for this would have their own personal settings written in a notebook or put on a menu card. The latter would be loaded into the camera menu.

Re: A couple of simple VFX questions 10 months, 1 week ago #143945

• JimDaddyO
  • Junior Boarder
  • 10 months, 1 week ago
Oh yes. I will do that for sure. I love that suggestion......so much to learn for someone of my age, I look forward to playing with it some more. It's one of the reasons I got into making videos.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.42 seconds
Scroll To Top