Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 14.0 crashes upon opening.

Re: 14.0 crashes upon opening. 10 months, 1 week ago #143179

• Biffindy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 10 months, 1 week ago
I am having the same issue, Lightworks 14 is crashing while opening.

Lightworks was running fine a few days ago, now it is crashing. Earlier today, the log file appeared to show that it was failing when attempting to do something with the audio driver. Now it is no longer producing a readable error log - it is completely blank.

Any suggestions? I've reinstalled v14 three times so far, the last as an admin.

Re: 14.0 crashes upon opening. 10 months, 1 week ago #143208

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 10 months, 1 week ago
What operating system do you use?

Have you created all your porjects with V14?
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 10 months, 1 week ago by hugly.

Re: 14.0 crashes upon opening. 10 months, 1 week ago #143229

• Biffindy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 10 months, 1 week ago
I am using Windows 10. I have a mix of projects, some from 12.6, some from 14.

Re: 14.0 crashes upon opening. 10 months, 1 week ago #143235

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 10 months, 1 week ago
When did you first encounter the crash, have you ever been able to use V14 without a crash?

Do you see any error messages?

Is the system hanging non-responsive or does the window disappear suddenly?

Re: 14.0 crashes upon opening. 10 months, 1 week ago #143248

• Biffindy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 10 months, 1 week ago
I encountered the crash for the first time yesterday morning. I have previously used v14 on this same computer for about a week, maybe two before I started having issues yesterday.

My problems started when v14 got stuck analyzing an mp4 file. The software got stuck with the circle cursor symbol displayed. Eventually, Windows declared it not responding and I used Task Manager to shut it down. This occurred for several tries, maybe 4 in total. Then while starting up, I got a lw3.ttf file missing error followed by a crash - still while attempting to startup. I tried to start LW 14 again, this time it crashed while "building the effects catalogue". I tried restarting several more times after this, each with the same effect - crashing while starting up during the "building effects catalogue" phase.

It was at this point that I started performing google searches trying to find a answer to my problem. On a thread, it was suggested that I look at the error log. I did, it appeared to me that the startup was crashing when attempting to do something with the audio drivers.

I disabled my audio driver and attempted to restart LW 14. Same issue - crashing during startup at the "building effects catalogue" step. But now, the error logs are blank. The error logs are being generated, based on the file's time stamp, just not populated with data.

When LW 14 crashes, an error window appears (see image in next post) indicating that Lightworks Editor Application has quit working. I have to press a button to close the LW application.

Re: 14.0 crashes upon opening. 10 months, 1 week ago #143250

• Biffindy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 10 months, 1 week ago
Here is a snapshot of my error message.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: 14.0 crashes upon opening. 10 months, 1 week ago #143251

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 10 months, 1 week ago
Thank you for this detailled information.

I don't know the cause nor any straigh forward solution.

Another user reported also about the message "lw3.ttf missing", I don't know the cause either.

Do you have any user effects installed?

Hiding the Lightworks folder structure by renaming and reinstalling Lightworks might give you a running V14. Please don't do that now, but would you mind to try it? It wouldn't destroy existing projects, it would only hide them from Lightworks access.

Re: 14.0 crashes upon opening. 10 months, 1 week ago #143254

• Biffindy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 10 months, 1 week ago
User Effects - are these different than saving off an effect template within Lightworks? I've done that, but I've never installed anything other than LW v12.6 and v14 on this machine that would pertain to LW.

I'd be willing to try just about anything to get this software working again. I enjoy it tremendously and would hate to move to a different application. Let me know what you think my next step ought to be.

Thanks for the assistance.

Re: 14.0 crashes upon opening. 10 months, 1 week ago #143256

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 10 months, 1 week ago
User Effects - are these different than saving off an effect template within Lightworks?

No, user effects have to be installed and older ones might cause problems unknown yet, saving templates shouldn't cause the problem you encountered.

Try this and tell how it's working for you.
Last Edit: 10 months, 1 week ago by hugly.

Re: 14.0 crashes upon opening. 10 months, 1 week ago #143262

• Biffindy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 10 months, 1 week ago
I am operational once again. LW 14 started and asked for my login info and then went to the home page. Thanks!

I was able to start a new project, import video and create a sequence from the imported files.

What should I do with my "old" project folder content?

Re: 14.0 crashes upon opening. 10 months, 1 week ago #143263

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 10 months, 1 week ago
Keep it at a safe place.

If developers should find the cause for the trouble it might be possible with V14.1 to access the folder without problems, I hope.

Because the isuue might be related to some files you used, please avoid to access folders with lots of existing files with import dialogue. The best way would be to create an import folder with selected media for each project. This will help to sort out problems based on source media more quickly.

Re: 14.0 crashes upon opening. 10 months, 1 week ago #143265

• Biffindy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 10 months, 1 week ago
Ok - thanks again.

Re: 14.0 crashes upon opening. 10 months, 1 week ago #143306

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 10 months, 1 week ago
hugly wrote:
user effects have to be installed and older ones might cause problems unknown yet

That's highly unlikely. If there is any incompatibility with an effect old or new it will be picked up at compile time.

The compiler is specific to this application, and compiles the Cg shader language effects files to code executable by the GPU. Cg and the code that it generates has not changed significantly since the shader effects were introduced. There have been bugs picked up with the way that certain instructions execute on the GPU, but all that happens if those are used in an effect is that the effect compiles, but doesn't behave quite as expected. They are unlikely to crash Lightworks.

All instances of those instructions have in any case been removed and replaced with alternatives. I know, because I spent some time going through all of the user effects checking for compatibility issues after Nvidia published their warning on the use of those instructions. From memory there were only three user effects that were affected. There was also apparently one or two Lightworks-supplied effects affected. In no case did any of the unmodified effects crash the application.

Even the user effects are amongst the most stable parts of Lightworks. If one of those fails, old or new, then you can also expect failures with all effects files, user or non-user.

Re: 14.0 crashes upon opening. 10 months, 1 week ago #143325

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 10 months, 1 week ago
Migrating one system to win 10 here I have found a number of OS generated pauses and crashes in Win10 that do not happen running the same LW software on the same system under Win7; BadPoolHeader crashes in Win10 not in Win7; some existing installed Matrox codecs freeze Win10 LW start-up not so for Win7.

Issues like this are system and configuration specific - as far as I can tell all one can do is search and destroy them.
I started by downloading the Win10 snoop elimination software from here -
www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10
- disabling everything that will cause Win10 to divert to other duties (which is just about everything on the shutup10 list) and then, with the strong conviction that most of the issues are OS related not LW errors, tracked down other causes one by one.

Seem to have a reasonably running system by now - still have the occasional BadPoolHeader - is seems to be related one single USB attached device out of several identical units that come and go from the same USB hub?? Not 100% sure yet.
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: 14.0 crashes upon opening. 10 months, 1 week ago #143329

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 10 months, 1 week ago
Yes, unfortunately anything that relies on undisturbed access to the hardware isn't going to behave well with W10. Like you, RWAV, I have one W10 system running reasonably well after a lot of manual cleanup, but unfortunately if you update it (and that can include just malware updates) quite often Microsoft will arbitrarily decide that it wants to turn things that you want off back on again. At the moment I've just had a battle with it because it wanted to synchronise my settings with a non-W10 computer that I have.

Quite frankly I'm unimpressed with W10 and the problems it brings. But Linux has the portaudio issue and Mac has overinflated prices for hardware set up the Apple way and no other. I sometimes think that it would be nice to build my own O/S - but that way madness lies.
Last Edit: 10 months, 1 week ago by jwrl.
Time to create page: 1.52 seconds
Scroll To Top