Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Jumpy video

Jumpy video 11 months, 2 weeks ago #138994

• tomhopkinson
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 11 months, 2 weeks ago
I am new to video editing of any kind and i have been trying to play about with some drone footage that we have taken, the file types are as follows:

DJI_0020.MOV, 3840x2160, AVCHD, 29.97fps, 3.3gb

Can anyone help with how to stop the videos from being so jumpy it is making it very hard to edit, as i mentioned above i am new to all this so need some simple steps to follow as all the terminology can get confusing!

Re: Jumpy video 11 months, 2 weeks ago #138996

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 11 months, 2 weeks ago
Welcome to the forum.

So that users can see the technical details of your video please follow the directions in this sticky: www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=23&id=66072&Itemid=81

Also, please could you provide the specification of your computer.

Re: Jumpy video 11 months, 2 weeks ago #139002

• tomhopkinson
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 11 months, 2 weeks ago
This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

My computer is a Dell Inspiron 3650 its got a Intel Core I5
Last Edit: 11 months, 2 weeks ago by tomhopkinson.

Re: Jumpy video 11 months, 2 weeks ago #139022

• pfbr6a
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 11 months, 2 weeks ago
The video is (broadly) 4K and at 29.97 fps is a reasonably heavy load. So it may simply be that your computer is running out of processing-ability. Its CPU and graphics card arefine, but not high-end - the laptop I'm typing this on is rated at about 50% faster CPU, twice the GPU speed, and 4K videos are nothing like as reliably smooth as I'd want.

As a simple test of this, try getting or making an HD video of otherwise similar spec, and see how it behaves.

If that's fine, one way forward is to edit using lower-resolution proxies and then to match the result back to the original footage. There are a number of ways to go with that, and no shortage of advice on this forum if you choose to do it.

Re: Jumpy video 11 months, 2 weeks ago #139023

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 11 months, 2 weeks ago
Hi,

I believe to see a DJI drone recording.

I'm pretty sure that you won't be able to edit this kind of 4K files natively with your computer. AVCHD is a very demanding codec in terms of decoding performance.

With V12.6 you will have to use third party software to transcode your files to a more edit-friendly format, MPEG2 I-Frame HD for example, downscaled to 1080p, I'd suggest, or to use an externally created proxy.

With recent V14 beta RC2 a new internal proxy workflow has been introduced. You can import your 4K video and make a low resolution proxy file from within Lightworks, then you can use the proxy to edit and your original footage for the final export.

Please note: As a user of Lightworks Free you are limited to 720p resolution on file based export.
V14 RC2 is still a beta release, you might encounter issues which should be reported in beta forums.

EDIT - pfbr6a, you beat me on it, while I was typing.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 11 months, 2 weeks ago by hugly.

Re: Jumpy video 11 months, 2 weeks ago #139031

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 11 months, 2 weeks ago
Proxy editing with 4k and UHD material is pretty common.

Note that if you wish to check out proxy editing on the V14 beta, that it's still being tested (although close to release), so the odd issue can still arise. Also, that the only tutorial currently available is basic. therefore involves you working out the procedures.

Although it's a simple process in V14, if you're new to editing, you may wish to hold off until the release unless you want to experiment.
Last Edit: 11 months, 2 weeks ago by briandrys.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.54 seconds
Scroll To Top