Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Help us to help you - put your PC hardware and camera model in your forum signature

Help us to help you - put your PC hardware and camera model in your forum signature 9 years, 10 months ago #13714

• shaunthesheep
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 9 years, 10 months ago
It will help other forum users to assist you if you put your computer hardware and camera model in your forum signature.

Go to Profile > Edit > Update your profile > Forum. Type in the following information in the text box:

Your Camera model
Say if you have a desktop or notebook computer
What model motherboard?
CPU type?
Which graphics card?
What memory type and amount (GB)
Hard disk(s) size and rpm
OS version and service pack
QuickTime version
Desktop
Dell Inspiron 560MT. Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 Processor, 6 GB Dual Channel DDR3, Windows 7 64 bit SP1/Ubuntu Studio 14.04.2 duel boot. On-board graphics chip. Samsung SyncMaster S23B35OH LED monitor. EchoAudio Mia 24/96 soundcard.

Laptop
Dell Precision M6700, i7 3740QM CPU @2.70Ghz, NVidia Quadro K3000M, 8GB ram. Windows 7 64 bit SP1.

I am not employed by EditShare. I am a Lightworks user.
Last Edit: 9 years, 10 months ago by shaunthesheep.

Re: Help us to help you - put your PC hardware and camera model in your forum signature 9 years, 10 months ago #13726

• frans
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 9 years, 10 months ago
Has that ever helped solving a problem, knowing the PC's hardware specs? The camera I understand, they all seem to create files in their own dialect, but most, if not all, hardware specs are not relevant for us.

Re: Help us to help you - put your PC hardware and camera model in your forum signature 9 years, 10 months ago #13729

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 9 years, 10 months ago
Information never hurts. The more we have, the more targeted a reply can be.

However I don't have a camera. I'm an editor. I deal with a range of media.

(Yes, I know my system info isn't there. But I haven't posted any requests for help, and I'm not likely to. LW is currently running on an older Toshiba Satellite hre, for anyone who's interested.

I may be going through a step-by-step build here soon. Then you'll get all the info you want!)
Last Edit: 9 years, 10 months ago by jwrl.

Re: Help us to help you - put your PC hardware and camera model in your forum signature 9 years, 10 months ago #13737

• shaunthesheep
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 9 years, 10 months ago
I have come across some users who are trying to run Lightworks on hardware that is below the minimum system requirements. Having the hardware spec in the signature would reveal this.
Desktop
Dell Inspiron 560MT. Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 Processor, 6 GB Dual Channel DDR3, Windows 7 64 bit SP1/Ubuntu Studio 14.04.2 duel boot. On-board graphics chip. Samsung SyncMaster S23B35OH LED monitor. EchoAudio Mia 24/96 soundcard.

Laptop
Dell Precision M6700, i7 3740QM CPU @2.70Ghz, NVidia Quadro K3000M, 8GB ram. Windows 7 64 bit SP1.

Re: Help us to help you - put your PC hardware and camera model in your forum signature 9 years, 10 months ago #13739

• frans
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 9 years, 10 months ago
Below specs? How often do you see problems caused by that?

Re: Help us to help you - put your PC hardware and camera model in your forum signature 9 years, 10 months ago #13740

• shaunthesheep
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 9 years, 10 months ago
Sometimes users don't have enough ram or they are trying to edit AVCHD files in LW on an old PC with an underpowered CPU. It would help to know this when assisting them.

And it helps developers who are trying to get Lightworks to run on a multiplicity of hardware combinations instead of dedicated hardware.
Desktop

Laptop

Re: Help us to help you - put your PC hardware and camera model in your forum signature 9 years, 10 months ago #13744

• frans
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 9 years, 10 months ago
sometimes ...

Maybe we should draw up a list asking for specific types of information beforehand based on the type of problem users experience, for instance information on camera and a screenprint of a media-analyzer when they have problems importing.

Re: Help us to help you - put your PC hardware and camera model in your forum signature 9 years, 10 months ago #13745

• shaunthesheep
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 9 years, 10 months ago
It is not just hardware. The number of posts that I have come across where users have not installed QuickTime or Matrox codecs is quite large. That is why I included QuickTime version in the list. The installation guide specifies QT 7.6.6 or later. One user I came across recently had an old version of QT Pro on his system and his problems went away when he installed the latest free QT player.

There is already a sticky in this section on broadcasting standards explaining how to use Mediainfo to analyse source files.

Knowing the camera model enables anyone dealing with a problem to quickly find info about the video format it uses by searching the web for the spec.
Desktop

Laptop

Re: Help us to help you - put your PC hardware and camera model in your forum signature 9 years, 10 months ago #13746

• frans
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 9 years, 10 months ago
Precisely,and since you can't put codec environment in the signature (well theoretically one could ...) a short list associating types of problems with types of information that might be useful, could help users in given good information early on, more so then just system specs.

But it's a bit of a large task to compile suh a list, I realize that, and you're doing plenty for the forum already.

PS. Given the amount of Quicktime lately I'd suggest the download section mentions the Quicktime player specifically, just as it does with the Matrox VfW codecs.
Last Edit: 9 years, 10 months ago by frans.

Re: Help us to help you - put your PC hardware and camera model in your forum signature 9 years, 10 months ago #13748

• Site Admin
  • Administrator
    Pro User
  • Administrator
  • 9 years, 10 months ago
Good point - Quicktime requirement and link added to Downloads page.

Re: Help us to help you - put your PC hardware and camera model in your forum signature 9 years, 10 months ago #13796

• Messerjocke
Signature test
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.55 seconds
Scroll To Top