Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Best literature and learning strategy for Lightworks and editing in general

Re: Best literature and learning strategy for Lightworks and editing in general 3 months, 3 weeks ago #182784

• roger_ramjet
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 months, 3 weeks ago
OK, my browser has now refreshed and loading the tutorials vids. I'll go through them first. RTFM.

thanks Lightowrks !

Re: Best literature and learning strategy for Lightworks and editing in general 3 months, 3 weeks ago #182785

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 3 months, 3 weeks ago
Welcome to the forum.

You should watch the current video tutorials first.

You shouldn't watch tutorials from the earlier versions until you've watched the quick start tutorial for the current version (V14 and soon V14.5). The earlier tutorials are for more advanced procedures and features.

Further information can be found in the V14 User Guide found in downloads > documentation

There's lots of information in the forum. This thread may assist total beginners: www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=26&id=179615&Itemid=81
Last Edit: 3 months, 3 weeks ago by briandrys.

Re: Best literature and learning strategy for Lightworks and editing in general 3 months, 3 weeks ago #182788

• roger_ramjet
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 months, 3 weeks ago
Thanks, Im getting up to lightworks speed. The insert function didn't seem to work but I think its more a case of my keyboard/mousepad sensitivity/clunkitivity.
The tutorials relevant to the version in use make more sense.

cheers
R

Re: Best literature and learning strategy for Lightworks and editing in general 3 months, 3 weeks ago #182789

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 3 months, 3 weeks ago
The insert function has changed in the current versions, you can't use shift with the mouse for insert in the same way as in the earlier versions. This thread give the current V14 methods: www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=6&id=182304&Itemid=81#182304

GENERAL NOTE
This thread is about literature and learning strategy, if you have a particular issue please start a new thread in the appropriate section of the forum. However, running a forum search will usually find the information you need.
Last Edit: 3 months, 3 weeks ago by briandrys.

Re: Best literature and learning strategy for Lightworks and editing in general 3 months, 3 weeks ago #182801

• Craig Marshall
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 3 weeks ago
David mentioned the use of a dedicated Lightworks keyboard earlier so I'll mention again the Console or even a dedicated 3rd party Jog/Shuttle controller to make the LW experience so much more intuitive. Here's short demo clip of LW shortcuts mapped to the X-keys:

Custom Haswell z87 i7 3.9Ghz 4770
System SSD, 16TB Internal RAID 0, Cache SSD
16GB DDR3, Thunderbolt, Nvidia GTX 970 G1 Maxwell GPU
Lightworks Pro with DNxHD license
Resolve 15 with OxygenTec ProPanel
X-Keys Pro 68 key USB Jog/Shuttle controller
2 x 24" HD GUI, 24" 10bit Rec.709 IPS Monitor
12G Decklink 4K SDI Pro>HD-Link Pro>Display Port
Sony 55" X9005B 4K Client Monitor
Sony Super 35 HD camera with Atomos ProRes Recorder
4x4" matte box/follow focus. Zeiss 'Contax' FF primes with Metabones 'Speed Booster'
Rode NTG-3/I-Rig XLR Phantom preamp
HDvideo4K.com
Last Edit: 3 months, 3 weeks ago by Craig Marshall.

Re: Best literature and learning strategy for Lightworks and editing in general 3 months, 3 weeks ago #182806

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 3 months, 3 weeks ago
Craig, X-keys should put you on the payroll!

But as a user (still) of the original Lightworks console I can only support what Craig had to say about controllers. Lightworks is fine without one, but with one it absolutely flies. But whether you want to buy the X-keys 68 when for almost the same money you could subscribe to Lightworks I'll leave entirely up to you.

After all, someone has to pay for the software development team.

Re: Best literature and learning strategy for Lightworks and editing in general 3 months, 3 weeks ago #182807

• Craig Marshall
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 3 weeks ago
As a disclaimer, even though my quick n dirty video is on the PI Engineering website (X-keys), there was no financial incentive. I just did it for fun as I had a cheap MP4 camera with a 120 degee FoV lens sitting around.

In return, their offer of some custom programming to allow the X-keys Jog dial to access some of DaVinci Resolve's hitherto inaccessible rotary screen controls was gratefully accepted!
Custom Haswell z87 i7 3.9Ghz 4770
System SSD, 16TB Internal RAID 0, Cache SSD
16GB DDR3, Thunderbolt, Nvidia GTX 970 G1 Maxwell GPU
Lightworks Pro with DNxHD license
Resolve 15 with OxygenTec ProPanel
X-Keys Pro 68 key USB Jog/Shuttle controller
2 x 24" HD GUI, 24" 10bit Rec.709 IPS Monitor
12G Decklink 4K SDI Pro>HD-Link Pro>Display Port
Sony 55" X9005B 4K Client Monitor
Sony Super 35 HD camera with Atomos ProRes Recorder
4x4" matte box/follow focus. Zeiss 'Contax' FF primes with Metabones 'Speed Booster'
Rode NTG-3/I-Rig XLR Phantom preamp
HDvideo4K.com
Last Edit: 3 months, 3 weeks ago by Craig Marshall.

Re: Best literature and learning strategy for Lightworks and editing in general 3 months, 3 weeks ago #182809

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 3 months, 3 weeks ago
Your setup looks near to perfect, Craig. When a little while ago I thought that my console had died I was seriously looking at X-keys. Fortunately it was a key assignment conflict.

But we're heading seriously OT here.
Time to create page: 0.23 seconds
Scroll To Top