Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Best literature and learning strategy for Lightworks and editing in general

Re: Best literature and learning strategy for Lightworks and editing in general 1 year, 9 months ago #138058

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 9 months ago
I wonder, what do you miss in the official video tutorials?
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Best literature and learning strategy for Lightworks and editing in general 1 year, 9 months ago #138066

• David Rasberry
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 9 months ago
The video tutorials are sort of the short hand quick start instructions.
There is so much depth to this program, much of which is not well documented at all.
If you really broke it down into a comprehensive reference manual, it would probably rival Resolve's 1150+ pages.
Razz

Digital Bolex 2k Cinema DNG raw camera
Canon GL2 DV camcorder
iPAD Mini 3 Iographer rig

Workstation: Intel i7-4770k, Asrock Z87 Thunderbolt 2 MB, 16GB 1866 DDR3 ram,
2TB Seagate Hybrid system drive, 2TB Seagate NAS media drive, E-sata III hot swap drive bay, Nvidia GTX760 2GB GPU
Lightworks kybrd. Shuttlepro v2
Win10 Pro 64bit, Lightworks 14.0 64bit

Mobile Workstation: MSI GTX72 Dominator
Intel i7-6700HQ 2.7GHz Win10 64bit
16GB DDR4 ram, 500GB M.2 SSD
Nvidia GTX970 3GB GPU
USB3, USB3.1-C, Thunderbolt 3 ports
Shuttlepro2 Win10 64bit LW 14.0 64 bit

Re: Best literature and learning strategy for Lightworks and editing in general 1 year, 9 months ago #138077

• Zorvan
  • Edu User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 1 year, 9 months ago
David Rasberry wrote:

There is so much depth to this program, much of which is not well documented at all.
If you really broke it down into a comprehensive reference manual, it would probably rival Resolve's 1150+ pages.

Which is what Blackmagicdesign did for their Davinci Resolve and Fusion. Both user manuals and tools references for either of the programs have around 1000 pages each.

I have followed the tutorials step by step and read and learned the user guide for Lightworks and have been practicing for more than half year now and I still don't understand much of the program - what it does and why it does it that way. This process of "trial and fail" is very slow and I really think that so much could be avoided if I could actually study it before jumping into the deep cold waters of a program that has turned off ratings on its video tutorials.

I hope you understand the point I am trying to make.

Re: Best literature and learning strategy for Lightworks and editing in general 1 year, 9 months ago #138086

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 year, 9 months ago
The Lightworks advanced user guide is well overdue, since it has been described as due soon for over a year.

NLE guides are always changed, that's why even third party publishers bring out an edition for each new version.

A manual for editing on Resolve has just been released, I gather it costs $40 and is more or less based on the Full Resolve manual (although much shorter).

People learn using different methods, so video tutorials aren't right for everyone. This is why written material (with suitable illustrations) is also important.

There are also unofficial video tutorials online, but the quality is varies from poorly planed and executed to good presentations of the material.

Also, so much information is inside the forum, finding a precise piece of information can be time consuming because of the need to go through numerous threads related to a subject.
Last Edit: 1 year, 9 months ago by briandrys.

Re: Best literature and learning strategy for Lightworks and editing in general 1 year, 9 months ago #138118

• David Rasberry
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 9 months ago
The one thing that helped me learn Lightworks faster than anything else was buying a Lightworks keyboard. Having the 72 most commonly used commands right in front of your face really helps.
Perhaps some tutorials or articles on basic editorial workflows from a film or TV editor's perspective would help. This would less about how to use the basic technical tools available, more about why and when. It should cover task sequences like logging,metadata tagging and organizing footage and other elements, rough cuts/first cuts, fine trimming, applying FX, sound mix, sound FX, music elements, EDl/AAF/XML interchange exports for use in supporting programs, exporting for delivery, etc.
From my perspective, I think novice editors spend far too much time on their edit timelines and not nearly enough organizing all the elements that will potentially be used in an edit beforehand.
Razz

Digital Bolex 2k Cinema DNG raw camera
Canon GL2 DV camcorder
iPAD Mini 3 Iographer rig

Workstation: Intel i7-4770k, Asrock Z87 Thunderbolt 2 MB, 16GB 1866 DDR3 ram,
2TB Seagate Hybrid system drive, 2TB Seagate NAS media drive, E-sata III hot swap drive bay, Nvidia GTX760 2GB GPU
Lightworks kybrd. Shuttlepro v2
Win10 Pro 64bit, Lightworks 14.0 64bit

Mobile Workstation: MSI GTX72 Dominator
Intel i7-6700HQ 2.7GHz Win10 64bit
16GB DDR4 ram, 500GB M.2 SSD
Nvidia GTX970 3GB GPU
USB3, USB3.1-C, Thunderbolt 3 ports
Shuttlepro2 Win10 64bit LW 14.0 64 bit
Last Edit: 1 year, 9 months ago by David Rasberry.

Re: Best literature and learning strategy for Lightworks and editing in general 1 year, 9 months ago #138122

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 year, 9 months ago
There are videos available on the subject of organising and the use of bins for this. Those for Lightworks seem to be more about how to use them, while these workflow ones focus on process and workflow. Much of this also applies to Lightworks, even if they are using other NLE makes in the demo video.
Last Edit: 1 year, 9 months ago by briandrys.

Re: Best literature and learning strategy for Lightworks and editing in general 1 year, 9 months ago #138150

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 year, 9 months ago
Out of interest, I put together the various Lightworks bin possibilities on a single screen grab. It looks a bit confusing at first, but it covers working with metadata, through to using bins like fridge magnets, depending on how you like to organise things.

With more screen real estate, you've got greater options in using them.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Best literature and learning strategy for Lightworks and editing in general 1 year, 9 months ago #138435

• dvcinlv
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 1 year, 9 months ago
Moderated: Post removed for contravention of forum guidelines - jwrl.

Your contributions must not be unduly negative. The Ethos of the Forum is that it is positive and helpful. If you are having problems, then please ask questions in a respectful way.

“This product is rubbish” and “[Some company] doesn’t know what it’s doing”. Are not acceptable.

“I haven’t been able to make this work for me. Can anyone help?” and “I think I must have misunderstood this, because I can’t see how it’s supposed to work. What does anyone else think?” are acceptable.

Posts that are considered to be unduly negative will be edited or possibly removed by a Moderator.
Last Edit: 1 year, 9 months ago by jwrl.

Re: Best literature and learning strategy for Lightworks and editing in general 1 year, 9 months ago #138438

• dvcinlv
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 1 year, 9 months ago
Moderated: See above. This now a second warning, dvcinlv. If you persist in this undue negativity you will be banned. If you need a refresher of the rules of this forum you should read the rules section at the head of this page - jwrl.

Linux and the future 1 year, 9 months ago #138446

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 year, 9 months ago
David Rasberry and dvcinlv, the posts that followed were really off topic and in no way could be said to answer Zorvan's question. If you really want to start a discussion on the relative merits of different operating systems and the software they support you should take the discussion elsewhere. While it was potentially interesting, it wasn't helpful here.

Accordingly, I have moved everything from post #138439 down into a new thread, Linux and the future. David, you are classed as the thread starter in that new thread and so can edit it as you wish, including changing the thread title.

Re: Best literature and learning strategy for Lightworks and editing in general 1 year, 8 months ago #142201

• dtwkwok
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 year, 8 months ago
I am a newbie too. There is also an additional problem that most of the tutorials are on older version. I am using v12.6 with Boris Fx/Graffitti. I have no clues some of the button and window setup once I launch into to Boris. Even playing Boris standalone, I cannot really get it. The documentation on Boris is equally bad. I may have been better off with Premier Pro than the paid version of Lightwork Pro. The tutorial videos show me something that I cannot relate to it on my own. I can only suspect it due to different version.

Re: Best literature and learning strategy for Lightworks and editing in general 1 year, 8 months ago #142589

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 year, 8 months ago
Welcome to the forum.

I assume you're talking about this:

file:///C:/Program%20Files/Boris%20FX,%20Inc/Boris%20FX%2010/Documentation/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm

It's found under help in the Boris FX toolbar.

You can find their videos on this link, however, I think there some rebranding going on.

www.youtube.com/user/BorisFXco

vimeo.com/152731457

Google will bring up video material.
Last Edit: 1 year, 7 months ago by briandrys.

Re: Best literature and learning strategy for Lightworks and editing in general 1 year, 7 months ago #143597

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 year, 7 months ago
You could also try this for Boris:

web.borisfx.com/helpdocs/

There is a 2004 book "Instant Boris Effects" from focal press, which may still prove of use.
Last Edit: 9 months ago by briandrys.

Re: Best literature and learning strategy for Lightworks and editing in general 1 year, 1 month ago #159835

• stina20
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 year, 1 month ago
I'm also a newbie! Thanks for all this info! I'll work my way through this (and all the other stuff) slowly!

Re: Best literature and learning strategy for Lightworks and editing in general 3 months, 3 weeks ago #182783

• roger_ramjet
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 months, 3 weeks ago
I've just downloaded v14.0 and I am no Producer by any means, but I am struggling. I watched the old v11 quick tips on youtube which were very helpful, but simple things like dragging and dropping a vid track from one bar to another seem unsupported?
The vid tutorials dont even load in my browser at all : www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=162&Itemid=246&start=v12_5

I will persevere for a while, I'm sure there's heaps of features I'm yet to discover but initial usability seems to be a step above 'intuitive'

just my comments, as someone who has used for 3 basic clips and still learning. Comprehensive guidance seems to be thin on the ground, or is there something I have missed?

cheers
R
Time to create page: 0.26 seconds
Scroll To Top