Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Best literature and learning strategy for Lightworks and editing in general

Best literature and learning strategy for Lightworks and editing in general 1 year, 8 months ago #136682

• Zorvan
  • Edu User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 1 year, 8 months ago
Hello.

I am wondering whether there is some kind of source of knowledge on video editing that would help me understand the workflow better. As a beginner, I am just using Lightworks Pro as is offered to me and discovering features on the go. But I find this process quite slow.

I am seeking some advice on learning strategy from some professionals and people more advanced at Lightworks. My problem is that by learning on the go, without any knowledge of how all of this works, I often end up doing something on Lightworks expecting an outcome that's different from the end result and I don't know how to resolve it other than looking it up on forums for advice or just ditch the idea completely.

I want to be more independent and not just proficient in a way that I have repeated my editing process enough times that I simply memorized it.

Could you suggest some literature, sources, or whatever ways you used to advance your skills?

I am doing Youtube videos on economics, technology, political and social commentary and news and my goal is to make them as engaging as possible. And I would like to see where the limits are and how far I could make it.

Thank you.

Re: Best literature and learning strategy for Lightworks and editing in general 1 year, 8 months ago #136683

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 year, 8 months ago
You should look at the Lightworks video tutorials www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=162&Itemid=246&start=v12_5 and the User Guide found in downloads > documentation.

Using the YouTube subtitle feature and pausing on a frame may assist, especially if you're following the instructions together with Lightworks.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Are you looking for material on the principles of editing or in using a particular NLE? The latter tend not to go into former in much detail, they tend to more about which menus you use for particular operations.

With the videos the best thing is to go through them step by step, not doing any serious editing. It's a hands on process, but you won't do any damage by experimenting. Undo is a real help if you get stuck and there's also a demo project that you can practice on. Mistakes are a good way of learning.
Last Edit: 6 months, 3 weeks ago by briandrys.

Re: Best literature and learning strategy for Lightworks and editing in general 1 year, 8 months ago #136712

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 year, 8 months ago
Briandrys is quite right about the tutorials. They're a great resource. However the best method I've found is just to sit down and play with Lightworks. Very soon you will find that you will start understanding how it "thinks", and suddenly everything will become clear to you.

And until it does, any mistakes that get you into a hole that you can't immediately see how to get out of can probably be answered here. Remember, we're users just like you, and we've all been through the same learning process. There are no dumb questions, the only dumb thing is not to ask a question when you need to.

What is a truly bad idea is to immediately start using Lightworks on a mission critical project, with no prior understanding of how it works. That way disaster lies.
Last Edit: 1 year, 8 months ago by jwrl.

Re: Best literature and learning strategy for Lightworks and editing in general 1 year, 8 months ago #136795

• Zorvan
  • Edu User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 1 year, 8 months ago
briandrys wrote:

Are you looking for material on the principles of editing or in using a particular NLE? The latter tend not to go into former in much detail, they tend to more about which menus you use for particular operations.

I am mostly looking for understanding principles of editing, but not just cutting film footage, but applying effects etc. Maybe some kind of theory behind it so that I could transfer my knowledge to future projects and software.

I certainly have a long way to go just understanding Lightworks. I would like to make it an employable skill. Is that possible without a degree/course?

Thanks for your responses guys.

Re: Best literature and learning strategy for Lightworks and editing in general 1 year, 8 months ago #136797

• David Rasberry
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 8 months ago
Here is a link to a useful blog site that showed up in my inbox a few months ago. Free e-book and lots of useful articles. They offer workshops too. www.filmeditingpro.com/blog/

As a general note, I think a lot of novices don't spend enough time logging, organizing and pre-trimming clips before jumping into an edit sequence timeline.
Learn to use Lightworks bins and groups to organize projects in obvious ways, by scene, by shots within scenes, by graphic and sound elements, etc. Create subclips of just the footage in each shot you would use in an edit.
Less obvious but just as useful once this is done is to organize subclips into another set of bins by themes and ideas. You can use any clip or subclip in as many different bins as makes sense for the way your story is organized. You can use metadata notes added to clips to search for media by any criteria that is meaningful to you.
With good organization edits can virtually assemble themselves.
You can drag a set of pre-trimmed subclips into a new bin, arrange them in the order they should appear on the timeline and use the create sequence from bin contents command. Then refine the finished edit with trims and effects.
With well organized bins of subclips one can in a matter of minutes create multiple rough cut edits using this method to see how different shots, scenes, themes play against each other to best communicate the story.
An NLE is essentially a database management tool that keeps track of all the decisions you make in the process.
Razz

Digital Bolex 2k Cinema DNG raw camera
Canon GL2 DV camcorder
iPAD Mini 3 Iographer rig

Workstation: Intel i7-4770k, Asrock Z87 Thunderbolt 2 MB, 16GB 1866 DDR3 ram,
2TB Seagate Hybrid system drive, 2TB Seagate NAS media drive, E-sata III hot swap drive bay, Nvidia GTX760 2GB GPU
Lightworks kybrd. Shuttlepro v2
Win10 Pro 64bit, Lightworks 14.0 64bit

Mobile Workstation: MSI GTX72 Dominator
Intel i7-6700HQ 2.7GHz Win10 64bit
16GB DDR4 ram, 500GB M.2 SSD
Nvidia GTX970 3GB GPU
USB3, USB3.1-C, Thunderbolt 3 ports
Shuttlepro2 Win10 64bit LW 14.0 64 bit
Last Edit: 1 year, 8 months ago by David Rasberry.

Re: Best literature and learning strategy for Lightworks and editing in general 1 year, 8 months ago #136800

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 8 months ago
My favorite about cuts and transitions:

It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Best literature and learning strategy for Lightworks and editing in general 1 year, 8 months ago #136809

• lghtwrks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 8 months ago
probably there will be a real good game about film/industry/cutting ... in the future
<-> gamification

probably one could even learn something from this
www.iwin.com/games/maggies-movies-camera-action-collectors-edition
Last Edit: 1 year, 8 months ago by lghtwrks.

Re: Best literature and learning strategy for Lightworks and editing in general 1 year, 8 months ago #136870

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 year, 8 months ago
Here is a series of interviews with editors:

www.provideocoalition.com/an-in-depth-chat-with-editor-scott-hill-about-lightworks/

www.provideocoalition.com/tag/art-of-the-cut/

This is series now available as a book:
www.amazon.com/Art-Cut-Conversations-Film-Editors/dp/113823866X/ref=mt_paperback?_encoding=UTF8&me=&tag=viglink122855-20

Pieces on editing:

nofilmschool.com/2015/06/simple-editing-technique-will-make-your-scenes-more-dramatic-powerful

www.redsharknews.com/post/item/1419-the-art-of-editing-five-tips-to-improve-your-editing-performance

www.redsharknews.com/post/item/2152-how-to-edit-part-1-preparation

www.redsharknews.com/post/item/2153

www.redsharknews.com/post/item/2154

www.redsharknews.com/post/item/2736-one-simple-technique-that-will-always-improve-your-editing

moviola.com/fundamentals/editing-action/

www.redsharknews.com/post/item/2698-is-it-time-to-change-the-rules-of-editing

www.redsharknews.com/post/item/4911-do-you-really-know-what-online-editing-is

www.redsharknews.com/post/item/3089-editing-to-tight-deadlines

www.provideocoalition.com/the-reality-of-unscripted-television-editing/

www.provideocoalition.com/an-art-of-the-cut-essay-no-interview-but-lots-of-quotes/

www.provideocoalition.com/the-truth-about-green-screen/

Hints on keeping your project organised

www.redsharknews.com/post/item/4691-six-vfx-editing-tips

www.redsharknews.com/production/item/4913-managing-chaos-in-the-editing-room

blog.frame.io/2017/02/15/choose-the-right-codec/

jonnyelwyn.co.uk/film-and-video-editing/explore-professional-film-editing-timelines/

Colour Correction.

www.redsharknews.com/post/item/334-colour-correction-basics-an-excellent-tutorial-video

www.redsharknews.com/post/item/2068-five-top-tips-for-colorists-from-resolve-artist-warren-eagles

www.redsharknews.com/production/item/911-how-to-understand-waveform-and-vector-displays

www.redsharknews.com/post/item/5170-is-grading-on-a-consumer-monitor-simply-wrong

www.provideocoalition.com/thoughts-color-brightness-contrast/

www.redsharknews.com/technology/item/1975-how-to-understand-log-or-cine-style-recordings

www.redsharknews.com/post/item/2966-the-beginners-guide-to-luts

www.redsharknews.com/technology/item/274-colour-look-up-tables-demystified

Digital Intermediates

www.film-tv-video.de/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/T_Quantel_DI_Book.pdf

Data Security

www.provideocoalition.com/avoid-data-hack/

www.redsharknews.com/technology/item/1867-for-all-film-makers-how-to-avoid-losing-your-stuff-and-where-to-put-it

www.redsharknews.com/technology/item/877-raid-everything-you-need-to-know

www.provideocoalition.com/media-archiving-tips-hollywood/

Time code and frame rates

blog.frame.io/2017/07/17/timecode-and-frame-rates/

Audio post production:

www.provideocoalition.com/tag/mixingmondays/

www.soundworkscollection.com/

www.redsharknews.com/post/item/2424-making-sounds-in-the-editing-room

www.redsharknews.com/audio/item/5601-getting-consistent-audio-levels-isn-t-as-straightforward-as-some-think

Magazines:

www.editorsguild.com/magazine.cfm?ArticleID=1033

cinemontage.org/

Digital In General:

postproduction.pbworks.com/w/file/fetch/58271707/Quantel%20Digital%20Fact%20Book.pdf

There are also books:

www.amazon.co.uk/BLINK-EYE-NEW-EDN-Perspective/dp/1879505622/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1487334789&sr=1-1&keywords=film+editing+books

www.amazon.co.uk/Art-Cut-Editing-Concepts-Filmmaker/dp/1514272075/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1487334789&sr=1-2&keywords=film+editing+books

www.amazon.co.uk/When-Shooting-Stops-Cutting-Begins-x/dp/0306802724/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1487334789&sr=1-3&keywords=film+editing+books

www.amazon.co.uk/Technique-Film-Editing-Reissue-2nd/dp/0240521854/ref=sr_1_9?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1487334789&sr=1-9&keywords=film+editing+books

www.amazon.co.uk/Technique-Film-Video-Editing/dp/0240813979/ref=sr_1_22?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1487334946&sr=1-22&keywords=film+editing+books
Last Edit: 1 week, 2 days ago by briandrys.

Re: Best literature and learning strategy for Lightworks and editing in general 1 year, 8 months ago #136887

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 year, 8 months ago
It's also worth ensuring that the show hints in the system settings menu on the home (the project browser) page is switched on.
Last Edit: 1 year, 8 months ago by briandrys.

Re: Best literature and learning strategy for Lightworks and editing in general 1 year, 7 months ago #137996

• Zorvan
  • Edu User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 1 year, 7 months ago
Thanks to all for great suggestions. Especially to briandrys. Also just to give more credit, the videos are helpful when followed step by step as a tutorial to learn all the features. Now I guess it's time for me to dive into more extensive literature on the creativity of video and film.

Re: Best literature and learning strategy for Lightworks and editing in general 1 year, 7 months ago #138045

• dvcinlv
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 1 year, 7 months ago
YET -- for 90% of 1080p editing V14 works great!

Gratuitous, irrelevant or unsubstantiated negativity directed at Lightworks and/or EditShare has been redacted - rwav
Last Edit: 1 year, 7 months ago by RWAV.

Re: Best literature and learning strategy for Lightworks and editing in general 1 year, 7 months ago #138050

• lghtwrks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 7 months ago
ok, that post makes me write one - and there will be an own chapter on EDLs

greets
s

Re: Best literature and learning strategy for Lightworks and editing in general 1 year, 7 months ago #138052

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 year, 7 months ago
Note that Lightworks currently probably has more users than AVID. How the percentages breakdown for Pro V Free I don't know.

I hope this thread doesn't breakdown into side alleys, like some others.

Re: Best literature and learning strategy for Lightworks and editing in general 1 year, 7 months ago #138053

• David Rasberry
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 7 months ago
The codebase is there to support the NLE's primary functions in high end production including conforming film.
Tape is still widely used in broadcast in some areas of the world, even in the US. The delivery requirements for some of PBS's doc series for instance still specify two copies on HDCAM SR tape.
The last time it was reported, there had been more than four million downloads of earlier versions of Lightworks. I'm sure a lot of those were kids looking for game cap editors, but there is a significant installed base of pro users too.
This is not just an NLE for the low end laptop crowd.
Trying to dumb Lightworks down to make it work like other NLE's would eliminate it's market entirely.
Razz

Digital Bolex 2k Cinema DNG raw camera
Canon GL2 DV camcorder
iPAD Mini 3 Iographer rig

Workstation: Intel i7-4770k, Asrock Z87 Thunderbolt 2 MB, 16GB 1866 DDR3 ram,
2TB Seagate Hybrid system drive, 2TB Seagate NAS media drive, E-sata III hot swap drive bay, Nvidia GTX760 2GB GPU
Lightworks kybrd. Shuttlepro v2
Win10 Pro 64bit, Lightworks 14.0 64bit

Mobile Workstation: MSI GTX72 Dominator
Intel i7-6700HQ 2.7GHz Win10 64bit
16GB DDR4 ram, 500GB M.2 SSD
Nvidia GTX970 3GB GPU
USB3, USB3.1-C, Thunderbolt 3 ports
Shuttlepro2 Win10 64bit LW 14.0 64 bit
Last Edit: 1 year, 7 months ago by David Rasberry.

Re: Best literature and learning strategy for Lightworks and editing in general 1 year, 7 months ago #138056

• Zorvan
  • Edu User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 1 year, 7 months ago
dvcinlv wrote:
The marketshare of LW is so tiny no publisher will pay a writer to create a book -- like those tyat exist for other NLEs.

I have an offer to write one, but when will v14 ever be finished. And who would buy one given LW now costs more than Premiere Pro CC.

If the stats on 4 million downloads is true, then with right advertising that book could book could make couple of thousands of sales for sure. Make it an e-book and it could be a success. Maybe it could come with a pro version of Lightworks to increase the value of the paid license.

My opinion is - why would you have to learn everything on your own and repeat the same mistakes as millions others when you can learn from someone else and just jump into the "real stuff" if you want to be serious about it.

I am a beginner in video editing and I got here because I want to learn to make content for my project (more educational/entertaining). I am on Lightworks because it's on Linux. I paid for a pro version to test it out for a year. I never stopped yearning for Davinci Resolve making a free version on Linux, or buying Windows one day and switch Premiere Pro. Lightworks was difficult for me. The most unintuitive task for me is that you can't move and shorten tracks across the timeline the "traditional" way because of the trimming philosophy of Lightworks. But now I understand it and I appreciate how fast it is.

Now I want to advance my skills beyond an "elementary" level. And it's not an easy task on your own since Lightworks is really not so known on the internet (forums, Youtube, good tutorials). One can find almost anything on Premiere and it makes me think whether Premiere is really that much more powerful than Lightworks. Then Adobe would be offering a galactically better deal than Editshare.

I never made a full use of Lightworks pro because on Linux I can't use BorisFx or Fusion 8. I really want to buy a license for another year but the last time I made a use of my student status. But as my studies' end is approaching, I am kind of hesitant because I don't know how powerful Lightworks is and whether I can ever learn in a profitable time on my own. Video tutorials and the user guide are all helpful but I was wondering whether that's all there is to Lightworks or whether there's much more power into it with advanced enough skills to be able to make the most of it. And whether the Adobe deal or free Davinci Resolve can actually do the same job or even better at a less steep learning curve. A book on Lightworks might not be the worst idea after all.
Time to create page: 1.34 seconds
Scroll To Top