Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Noise reduction

Noise reduction 1 year, 8 months ago #125635

• micjamwat
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 year, 8 months ago
Hi

What are my options for removing noise caused by shooting with high iso levels on a DSLR? I am using the free Lightworks.

Thanks

Re: Noise reduction 1 year, 8 months ago #125648

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 8 months ago
Hello,

as far as I know there is no noise reduction for high ISO noise available in Lightworks.

Unfortunately all software I'm aware of providing high ISO noise reduction for video cost money.

Blackmagic Davinci Resolve is known to have a very good build in noise reduction filter but unfortunately not in the free version.

The video below shows some techniques used for noise reduction without the new dedicated noise filter of Resolve. There's also a program mentioned called Neat Video, which is also paid but not so expensive.

EDIT:

As you probably noticed in the video above blurring chroma channels separately reduces visible noise.

There's an effect "Smooth Chroma" provided by user baopao to be found on this page. I tried it once but I didn't get the desired results with the video used but maybe it works with your footage.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 1 year, 8 months ago by hugly.

Re: Noise reduction 1 year, 8 months ago #125649

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 1 year, 8 months ago
Fusion includes a pre-built noise reduction tool - it is under the 'Film' tab in the tool selection drop-down. In Fusion one can also customise filters to perform very effective bespoke noise reduction.

Tread lightly with the use of custom filters or pre-built filter tools - what they really do is add artefacts to conceal perceived 'blemishes' - very easy to overreach to where the filter becomes just another problem.

Please see the attached.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: Noise reduction 1 year, 8 months ago #125650

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 8 months ago
Valuable information. I'm sitting just in front of Fusio 8 free. Where can I find the high iso noise filter? You know, it's hard to find the related entry when you don't know where to search. As as I can read abobve it's called "RemoveNoise"?

Re: Noise reduction 1 year, 8 months ago #125651

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 1 year, 8 months ago
I use Fusion 7 on this system - tools have been renamed/moved-around/deleted/maybe-added in Fusion 8 free - if you haven't already done so - download the Fu8 tool reference manual.
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: Noise reduction 1 year, 8 months ago #125653

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 8 months ago
Thanks, Fusion 8 Tool Reference found and downloaded.

Could find entry and explanaition of "RemoveNoise" at page 339 and the tool itself at main menu TOOLS->FILM->REMOVENOISE.

Perfect, thanks again!

Re: Noise reduction 1 year, 8 months ago #125677

• micjamwat
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 year, 8 months ago
Thanks guys. I had a play with Resolve but my computer went into melt down! What is Fusion like on a pretty basic laptop?

Will neat video work on LW? I looked at the download list and wasn't sure which if any of them to go for.

Re: Noise reduction 1 year, 8 months ago #125680

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 8 months ago
As far as I know system requirements for Fusion are i7 CPU, 16GB ram, Nvidia Graphics 2GB, and lots of fast disk space, similar to Resolve. I guess a gaming laptop, fast hard drive attached should work, on a basic laptop I don't know.

I made a short test with the build in noise reduction of Fusion 8 RWAV mentioned above with the free version of Fusion. It seems to work fine at least with a still image. I don't know whether it supports this kind of "moving noise compensation" Resolve does.

Neat Video will not work as a Lightworks plugin. You have to use it with Virtual Dub or one of the other listed softwaree. I don't think that they have a stand alone version. www.neatvideo.com/purchase

Did you test the Smooth Chroma effect I mentioned above?

Re: Noise reduction 1 year, 8 months ago #125681

• micjamwat
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 year, 8 months ago
Looks like Fusion is a bit beyond my laptop then. I watched the smooth chroma video but haven't had a chance to get my head around it yet... Lots of learning still to do on my part. I will also explore virtual dub.

Re: Noise reduction 1 year, 8 months ago #125683

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 8 months ago
I don't know what you're working on and what your quality reqirements are but you could try to use a combination of blurring and edge sharpening in Lightworks with existing effects.

This isn't exactly what noise reduction does but you can have it for free and now.

It's a bit like hammering concurring artefacts into your pictures but maybe you can get a somehow satisfying result with your footage if you can't record it again with more suitable camera settings or lighting.

Would you like to try that?

Re: Noise reduction 1 year, 8 months ago #125691

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 8 months ago
To add some facts to this, I used an incredibly noisy still image with Sharben Edges over jwrl' SuperBlur with these settings:

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Before "noise reduction"

After "noise reduction"

Luma noise is visibly decreased, chroma artefacts still exist but smoothed, overall sharpness decreased.

I'm pretty sure that applied to a video moving noise artefacts will be visible if this kind of highly distorted footage is used.

It's possible that some other combinations of existing Lightworks effects may generate better results, something like user provided Skin Smooth might be also usable in some cases, I don't know.

Re: Noise reduction 1 year, 8 months ago #125705

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 8 months ago
Motion blur can also help something.
To allow Lightworks to access adjacent frames, the identical clip must be inserted at least in two video tracks,
One of the two clips must be moved by exactly one frame.

Admittedly a rather high effort for only a little less noise.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz) ; Intel HD Graphics 4600

Re: Noise reduction 1 year, 8 months ago #125707

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 8 months ago
Hi schrauber,

are you aware of any existing effect that has adjustable blur for luma and each chroma channel seprately?

EDIT: Sorry that I mutilated your name initially, corrected.

Re: Noise reduction 1 year, 8 months ago #125741

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 8 months ago
Better you ask someone who is familiar with color management.
The separate blur of the respective RGB channels is not enough for you?
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz) ; Intel HD Graphics 4600

Re: Noise reduction 1 year, 8 months ago #125743

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 8 months ago
For me?

I'm trying to solve a problem someone else has.

EDIT:

And I asked you because I know that you know much more abour effects than me.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.38 seconds
Scroll To Top