Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: OBS Studio: Native ProRes422 Capture

Re: OBS Studio: Native ProRes422 Capture 1 year, 11 months ago #124066

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 11 months ago
I can't say that for sure with the method I used but I guess there are.

I didn't check comparing single consecutive frames visually. I used handbrake to transcode after recording and the logs showed dropped frames only (which means a hidden variable frame rate). Most likely there are also dupes inserted without affecting technical frame rate.

EDIT:

And I don't trust the OBS logs. I don't know whether they show reliable values.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 1 year, 11 months ago by hugly.

Re: OBS Studio: Native ProRes422 Capture 1 year, 11 months ago #124068

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 11 months ago
The simplest method I have found for determining whether or not a variable frame rate exists is to transcode with ffmpeg while enforcing CFR. Watch the bottom of the CLI and see if frames are dropped or duped. If no frames are dropped or duped and the frame rate for the transcode matches the frame rate set for capture, cfr is present.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: OBS Studio: Native ProRes422 Capture 1 year, 11 months ago #124070

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 11 months ago
Thanks for sharing.

I guess also this method wouldn't detect duped frames with correct frame duration, only frame content will show.

Because the problem might be also related to my computer, my settings, or the method of testing I'd appreciate to get result from other users.

Re: OBS Studio: Native ProRes422 Capture 1 year, 11 months ago #124071

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 11 months ago
The method will show any variable frame rate condition that requires dupe or drop for ffmpeg to correct. If capture is cfr but includes duped frames as a result of cpu limitations for given parameters, no change will occur during transcode. This was done over here:
https://www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=216&id=108330&Itemid=81
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: OBS Studio: Native ProRes422 Capture 1 year, 11 months ago #124074

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 11 months ago
Yes, I understand, this method shows drops and dupes caused by variable frame duration when transcoding to a constant frame rate. Handbrake log shows those dupes and drops also, but as a summary.

I thought your first question pointed to system stalls which would cause the same frame to be recorded 2 or more times but at corrcet duration (at correct frame rate). Those won't be detected by the transcoding process.

A perfect misunderstanding.
Last Edit: 1 year, 11 months ago by hugly.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.36 seconds
Scroll To Top