Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Could anyone give me some tips on how to make two projects using the same files?

Could anyone give me some tips on how to make two projects using the same files? 1 year, 7 months ago #118848

I recorded a bunch of gameplay videos that I'm going to use to make 2 things, a let's play series and a review of the same game. I want to use the same footage of to make both. In a way, the review will be a really condensed version of the series, so what I was thinking was that after I edited the series, I would use those same edits from all the episodes to further reduce it down into a single video, but I'm not sure what the best way to do that is. I was thinking of putting all the episodes in one continuous edit, and when I export it just make a time selection to make the individual episodes, and then making a copy of that edit (not sure how that's done though) and trimming the whole thing down into one video. Not sure if that's the best way to go about it though. I know that there's rooms, but I haven't used them before, so I don't know if that would be helpful or not.

Re: Could anyone give me some tips on how to make two projects using the same files? 1 year, 7 months ago #118850

• arniepix
    Pro User
  • 1 year, 7 months ago
First off, you don't need to make more than one project to do this, and it could make your life just that much simpler to keep it as a simple project.

That said, moving material to a second project is very easy.

Simply open up the project you're moving material from, right click on a clip, multiple clips, a bin or a group and choose "Copy to" from the popup menu. If you click on clips, you can copy or move them to an existing bin or project. If you click on a group or bin, you can copy or move them to an existing project.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
post production is not an afterthought!

Re: Could anyone give me some tips on how to make two projects using the same files? 1 year, 7 months ago #118851

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 7 months ago
To make a copy of an edit, right-click on the recorder window and select Make->Copy. You will find the copy in the file browser.

You can edit this copy without affecting the original.

To Lightworks rooms are only screen arrangements.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Could anyone give me some tips on how to make two projects using the same files? 1 year, 7 months ago #118852

Ok, so what do you guys think is the best way of going about this? Arniepix said it could all be done in one project. How would one do that?
Last Edit: 1 year, 7 months ago by angrymexican563.

Re: Could anyone give me some tips on how to make two projects using the same files? 1 year, 7 months ago #118853

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 7 months ago
arniepix wrote:
First off, you don't need to make more than one project to do this, and it could make your life just that much simpler to keep it as a simple project.

hugly wrote:
To make a copy of an edit, right-click on the recorder window and select Make->Copy

.. and organize your project using Bins.

Re: Could anyone give me some tips on how to make two projects using the same files? 1 year, 7 months ago #118854

If I make a copies of an edits, could I insert those edits into one new edit?

Re: Could anyone give me some tips on how to make two projects using the same files? 1 year, 7 months ago #118855

• arniepix
    Pro User
  • 1 year, 7 months ago
The short answer is "whatever works best for you."

You can sort your footage, edits, sound effects, production music, stills etc into as many bins as you would like. You can sort your bins into groups. You can sort your groups into groups as well.

Project organization is something of an art unto itself, and experienced editors put a lot of effort (and pride) into organizing large complex projects in ways that make it easier and faster to work. What works for one editor may seem like chaos to another. What made one project super efficient may make another a total train wreck.

Here are a couple of tutorials that may help get you started:

post production is not an afterthought!

Re: Could anyone give me some tips on how to make two projects using the same files? 1 year, 7 months ago #118856

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 7 months ago
If I make a copies of an edits, could I insert those edits into one new edit?

Yes, and parts of it. Edits can be used the same way as imported source clips.

To start, open the source edit and change to player mode (blue). Mark and park the first section you want to bring into the new edit, press 'b' a new edit is created. Continue as you would do it with source clips, mark and park the next section in the player, position the playhead in the recorder, use 'v' to insert and'b' to overwrite.
Last Edit: 1 year, 7 months ago by hugly.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.55 seconds
Scroll To Top