Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: PNG images don't show up with transparent backgrounds

Re: PNG images don't show up with transparent backgrounds 4 years, 5 months ago #110213

• Steve Esposito
  • Junior Boarder
  • 4 years, 5 months ago
So, Lightworks does not display images the way everything else does, so users need to adapt to that. Hopefully this will be added to the user documents.

Re: PNG images don't show up with transparent backgrounds 4 years, 5 months ago #110214

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 years, 5 months ago
The thumbnail and preview of an image that is created in this way shows the image as it truly is. That is an RGB image with a transparent alpha channel painted over it. If the image has the transparent alpha channel merged with the RGB image, it is presented as expected. Certainly if you think the issue is a bug, feel free to present it in that forum. Alternatively, if you feel Lightworks should present the images as you have created them, you could make a feature request.

I'm not going to pursue this any further because I don't make my images in this way.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 10 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: PNG images don't show up with transparent backgrounds 4 years, 5 months ago #110215

• Steve Esposito
  • Junior Boarder
  • 4 years, 5 months ago
And I am not bothering with it anymore for completely different reasons. Looking forward to the same exact conversation between others in 18 months time.

Re: PNG images don't show up with transparent backgrounds 4 years, 5 months ago #110218

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 years, 5 months ago
At least we'll know what we are talking about.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 10 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: PNG images don't show up with transparent backgrounds 4 years, 5 months ago #110219

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 4 years, 5 months ago
Will we?

A LW clip viewer shows alpha or transparency as black nothing odd with that - please see the attached.

A colour or a variety of chequered backgrounds are options in many graphics packages.

Perhaps there is something-up with the user's original image - don't believe it was ever posted as a .zip for checking and since interest in this storm-in-a-teacup has waned I'd suggest, in relation to this specific image, we will never care to know.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: PNG images don't show up with transparent backgrounds 4 years, 5 months ago #110222

• Steve Esposito
  • Junior Boarder
  • 4 years, 5 months ago
RWAV wrote:
Will we?

A LW clip viewer shows alpha or transparency as black nothing odd with that - please see the attached.

A colour or a variety of chequered backgrounds are options in many graphics packages.

Perhaps there is something-up with the user's original image - don't believe it was ever posted as a .zip for checking and since interest in this storm-in-a-teacup has waned I'd suggest, in relation to this specific image, we will never care to know.

See page three of this discussion.

Re: PNG images don't show up with transparent backgrounds 4 years, 5 months ago #110227

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 years, 5 months ago
In fact, the preview did not show the transparency as black. If it showed anything, it showed the transparency as transparent.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 10 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: PNG images don't show up with transparent backgrounds 4 years, 5 months ago #110233

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 4 years, 5 months ago
The way that it appears in Lightworks will be affected by the way that the Gimp has produced the original file. I have imported that file into Photoshop and resaved it as a new file. The image out of Photoshop looked like this when imported into LW.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

What you see below is a TIFF image exported from AE with transparency. As a crosscheck I repeated the test in Photoshop and got the same result.

So depending on your software and the file format that you choose to export with you can get quite variable results. But once you blend it the results in each case will be the same.
Last Edit: 4 years, 5 months ago by jwrl.

Re: PNG images don't show up with transparent backgrounds 4 years, 5 months ago #110235

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 years, 5 months ago
I was just looking around on this topic some more. Apparently what we are looking at is called a "transparency channel". Now there does seem to be a degree of laxity in how the term is applied. It is being used interchangeably with "alpha channel". As my previous graphics show, it is not a merged channel in the commonly understood RGBA format. It is a totally separate "channel". That is what explains the fact that the RGB data from the original image is still in place when you strip away the transparency.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 10 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: PNG images don't show up with transparent backgrounds 4 years, 5 months ago #110236

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 4 years, 5 months ago
Whoops - I missed an entire page in your lives.

This is parallel to an issue with a user and a little animated duck - same erroneous angular sections of non-alpha. I don't think this is a LW bug at all - in the previous case both Photoshop and Fusion displayed the same 'error'.

The attached is how Power Archiver pre-views the image - as well as what Fusion makes of it. jwrl has already demonstrated the Photoshop result.

I stand by my view that LW displays alpha/transparency as black - it's just that there are section of the image which LW and others do nor recognise as valid transparency

Yes, donkpow is right, transparency is not an alpha channel - that's why I prefer to use a discrete alpha channel whenever possible.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: PNG images don't show up with transparent backgrounds 4 years, 5 months ago #110237

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 4 years, 5 months ago
Also for what it's worth the thumbnails of those files differ between W7 and W10. Windows 10 honours transparency when generating thumbnails, Windows 7 doesn't.

Re: PNG images don't show up with transparent backgrounds 4 years, 5 months ago #110238

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 years, 5 months ago
I don't think it is a bug, either. The issue was that preview does not display the image as produced. I can create the same kind of thing in Corel Paint Shop Pro so it's not something that is limited to GIMP.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 10 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: PNG images don't show up with transparent backgrounds 6 months ago #212114

• chj
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 6 months ago
Now 2020. Is it possible to import a png image exported from Photoshop with transparency, in such a way that transparency is fully retained, just like in ANY OTHER image viewer on this win10 machine?

If not, why not? Is it a missing feature? It would be good if LKWS detected that a file contains transparency parts, and at least asks the user whether to convert it to LKWS format, if that is proprietary. The best would be to react in the same fashion as other image viewer and just accept whatever is imported in whatever "mainstream" format.

Anyone agree?

Re: PNG images don't show up with transparent backgrounds 6 months ago #212119

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 months ago
chj wrote:
Is it possible to import a png image exported from Photoshop with transparency, in such a way that transparency is fully retained ...

Yes, that is so and was so (just was not always so obvious).
I don't have Photoshop, but it is the default behavior of Lightworks to import PNG image including transparency.

Starting with Lightworks 2020.1, this is more recognizable by showing it as a checkerboard pattern during import, in clip tiles, and in the source viewer.

The transparency is the alpha value of the RGBA colors, and is also active in the sequence. However, you usually do not want to export a checkerboard pattern, and the pattern is not shown in the sequence. If you select an export format that contains an alpha channel, the alpha value (transparency) will be exported.
Most of the time you want to replace transparency with another image, video, or color. You do this with effects.
Effects have the advantage that you can define very flexibly in the routing if and what you want to insert into the transparent areas.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Software: Lightworks 2020.1; || Windows 10, 64 Bit
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || shared RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)
Time to create page: 0.42 seconds
Scroll To Top