Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: PNG images don't show up with transparent backgrounds

PNG images don't show up with transparent backgrounds 4 years, 10 months ago #100719

If this isn't the correct place to post this then please let me know

I'm trying to use keyframes to move a PNG image around over my video track, yet the white background continues to show up around the image. This is despite my having adjusted the image background to be transparent on GIMP.

Has anyone got any idea of what I may be doing wrong here? Has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks!

Re: PNG images don't show up with transparent backgrounds 4 years, 10 months ago #100734

• arniepix
    Pro User
  • 4 years, 10 months ago
Typically, if you use the Image Key or add a Blend or DVE alpha transparency is automatically seen by the effect. I just tried this with a PNG I made in Photoshop that had transparency but no separate alpha, and it works fine with all 3 of those effects.

If you're having trouble getting the transparency recognized, try adding an alpha in Gimp. Maybe there's something that Gimp does differently that keeps LW from seeing the non alpha transparency.
I work in Manhattan, USA, but at night I cross the waters to sleep in Brooklyn, USA.

Also, post production is not an afterthought!
Last Edit: 4 years, 10 months ago by arniepix.

Re: PNG images don't show up with transparent backgrounds 4 years, 10 months ago #100745

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 years, 10 months ago
There was something I did the other day fooling around in my graphics program. I changed one of the export settings to include "transparency". That gave me white instead of transparent and the white showed up in Lightworks. I usually create a png with alpha channel and that works. RGBA.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 10 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: PNG images don't show up with transparent backgrounds 4 years, 10 months ago #100771

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 4 years, 10 months ago
Other users have reported PNG transparency issues - for those who have posted their offending files it has always proved to be embedded alpha errors in the PNG.
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: PNG images don't show up with transparent backgrounds 4 years, 10 months ago #100785

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 years, 10 months ago
Here's two png's. One of them is 32 bit, the other is 24 bit.

This one imports with a transparent background,

:pinch: Warning: Spoiler!

This one imports with white background even though I told my graphics program to load and save the alpha layer,

:pinch: Warning: Spoiler!
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 10 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2
Last Edit: 4 years, 10 months ago by donkpow.

Re: PNG images don't show up with transparent backgrounds 4 years, 10 months ago #100788

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 4 years, 10 months ago
If confidence in the alpha channel is important in your work, why not just work in a format which supports a discrete visible alpha channel - which I think .png will do. I could certainly make/save discrete alpha in the 32 bit but not 24 bit .png from donkpow. So the lesson seems to be there is no alpha with 24 bit .png?

Personally I simply don't understand the urge to work with mysterious embedded components when one really wants to double-check each step along the way.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
BETA System
HP Z800 Workstation
Last Edit: 4 years, 10 months ago by RWAV.

Re: PNG images don't show up with transparent backgrounds 4 years, 10 months ago #100791

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 years, 10 months ago
I don't understand what the graphics program is saying on that 24 bit png. It said load and save the alpha channel and I created the picture with a transparent background but it came out as 24 bit (RGB-8 bits per channel; red, green, blue). This way you just see. If you don't have RGB with Alpha (RGBA) it's not going to have transparency. Run MediaInfo on it.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 10 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: PNG images don't show up with transparent backgrounds 4 years, 5 months ago #110121

• Steve Esposito
  • Junior Boarder
  • 4 years, 5 months ago
I am having a similar problem and I didn't figure out from this discussion how to fix.

The attached .png file was edited in Gimp 2.8, looks fine in everything except Lightworks. It is supposed to be the building and a little bit of foreground, no trees in the background. However, Lightworks is the only program where the unwanted trees show up through the Alpha channel.

I saves it in SGI formats .rgb and .rgba, but Lightworks does not read them.

Ideas?

Thanks in advance!
Attachments:
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: PNG images don't show up with transparent backgrounds 4 years, 5 months ago #110122

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 years, 5 months ago
I am able to import that image into Lightworks via the image key effect. Seems to work fine:

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 10 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: PNG images don't show up with transparent backgrounds 4 years, 5 months ago #110123

• Steve Esposito
  • Junior Boarder
  • 4 years, 5 months ago
When I import it and place it on a timeline, it has all the extra junk I was complaining about.

Found a different fix that is more time consuming. In Gimp color all of the alpha, then delete it.

Re: PNG images don't show up with transparent backgrounds 4 years, 5 months ago #110124

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 years, 5 months ago
Performing in the same manner as you specify:

HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 10 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: PNG images don't show up with transparent backgrounds 4 years, 5 months ago #110125

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 4 years, 5 months ago
It also works as an import - blend tool FG - effect
BETA System
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: PNG images don't show up with transparent backgrounds 4 years, 5 months ago #110126

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 years, 5 months ago
I'm not seeing a problem with the image:

HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 10 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: PNG images don't show up with transparent backgrounds 4 years, 5 months ago #110127

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 years, 5 months ago
Here are the settings I use in my graphics program to produce png images with a transparent alpha channel. If I select the other option, things go wrong. I don't remember what. You may want to experiment with GIMP's png export settings and see if that helps.

HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 10 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: PNG images don't show up with transparent backgrounds 4 years, 5 months ago #110128

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 years, 5 months ago
It appears that there may be some type of conversion going on when users add a .png with transparent alpha from GIMP as an attachment. I see a similar thread here:

www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=6&id=109807&Itemid=81

I'd like to see if the problematic images retain the relevant issue when a user supplies the image in a .zip folder.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 10 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2
Time to create page: 0.44 seconds
Scroll To Top