Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Beginner Basics Editing Demo Tutorial?

Re: Beginner Basics Editing Demo Tutorial? 2 weeks, 5 days ago #241080

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 2 weeks, 5 days ago
Given the comments on the various unofficial get started tutorials, it's something to be addressed.

Re: Beginner Basics Editing Demo Tutorial? 2 weeks, 5 days ago #241093

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 2 weeks, 5 days ago
The wizard also includes the sign in panel which has a better way of showing what licenses are active/inactive and includes a link to watching the ‘Quick Start Video’ (being updated to the latest version)

Is in the announcement for the V2021.3 beta release - my bold letters.
Last Edit: 2 weeks, 5 days ago by briandrys.

Re: Beginner Basics Editing Demo Tutorial? 2 weeks, 4 days ago #241118

• probe
  • Junior Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 4 days ago
That thread certainly grew in the past day!

To @hugly #241017: Remember I'm a beginner, I put down Hobbyist when registering but it's not even my hobby, I just have a video interview I want to tidy up and was disappointed to see that the Windows 10 Photos app does not do dissolves which would make the cuts less obvious. Googling reviews pointed me to Lightworks.

So about the Quick Start:
0:27 "Set the frame rate" How would I know what to set? My video has its own frame rate which I don't know. I'd just select "Auto" in the hope that that works.
0:59 "we're looking at the bin tiles" - what are bin tiles - not the Recycle Bin surely? I now know you mean the thumbnail pictures in one of the panels of the app.
1:06 "You can even mark your clips with 'i' when playing tiles" - why? What does pressing 'i' do? I now know, but then I did not.

I would have liked an even simpler tutorial using just one video, not a folder full of clips - I'm not a film producer.

1:45 "we have marked and parked" - I can see how he marked by clicking the "in" button (and why "in" by the way - why not "beginning of selection" or "start"?)
but how did he mark the end, and what does "parked" mean? I now know that pressing stop marked the end of the segment. And why "out" point rather then "end of clip" or "end of selection"
1:49 "Now to send this to the timeline" What does that do? I now know that the timeline is the output section where the various bits are assembled; it would take only a couple of seconds to define that.
2:03 introduces "Replace" when the timeline is empty. That's silly, at least start with Insert and wait until there is something there to Replace so we can see what that does. That is done at 2:26.

2:58 Insert Titles - the demo already has a clip named Titles. At the start I won't, I'd have to create them with text slides. I think this video is really aimed at someone who already knows about video editing and has the terminology and just wants a quick overview of what Lightworks can do.

3:04 "little bit of black here, we want to get rid of that" - but that's just empty space after the last clip, that has to be there or you can't drop any more in.
3:10 "Right click, close gap" - I didn't see any gap closing.
3:25 hover and trim - looks understandable.

3:52 "We want to keep this shot in place but change the start and end frames" "slip and drag" - I have no idea what's going on there.

I could go on and on but you get the idea. My initial remark on the tutorial was for some earlier one that went into details on cookies and transcoders which was of no interest to me whatever.

Hope this helps!

Re: Beginner Basics Editing Demo Tutorial? 2 weeks, 4 days ago #241124

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 2 weeks, 4 days ago
"In" is the standard term, it's the point where you're coming into a clip or selection. Start is too vague and is already used for the beginning of a clip or sequence.

Park is where you put the timeline marker or where you stop the selection. You park the marker at this point and leave it there. Park as a verb is used in a number of ways:

What does to park it mean?
1. To sit down and stop moving. Often used as an imperative.

It's also a parliamentary term when no action is being taken at the moment.

In this case, Lightworks assumes that it's the "out" point of your selection. In all other NLEs you need to use "o", but Lightworks saves you doing this. Finish has a different meaning. See here: www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=27&id=110089&Itemid=81

Regarding close gap, look closely, the black at the end of the timeline disappears. It's the gap between the last clip or segment and the end of the timeline that's closed - there's no more black.

You should experiment and play with Lightworks, it's hands on. You won't damage anything by using the menus, pausing the video as you try things out. Make mistakes, it's the best way of learning. Undo is your friend.
Last Edit: 2 weeks, 4 days ago by briandrys.

Re: Beginner Basics Editing Demo Tutorial? 2 weeks, 4 days ago #241144

• schrauber
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 4 days ago
probe wrote:
Googling reviews pointed me to Lightworks.

Does this mean that you don't currently have Lightworks installed or open?

probe wrote:
So about the Quick Start:
0:27 "Set the frame rate" ...
If you create a new project with current versions, you will notice that this menu item no longer exists.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Software: Lightworks 2021.2 || Windows 10 Home, 20H2, 64 Bit
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)

Re: Beginner Basics Editing Demo Tutorial? 2 weeks, 4 days ago #241145

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 2 weeks, 4 days ago
This sticky explains how to set the frame rate in V2021.2: www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=6&id=233654&Itemid=81

Re: Beginner Basics Editing Demo Tutorial? 2 weeks, 4 days ago #241180

• probe
  • Junior Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 4 days ago
@schrauber I have just installed it but have not yet tried it. There's just so much in the interface that I wanted to watch a couple of videos first to understand what I was looking at. This weekend or next week I'll actually start playing around.

BTW about frame rate, it doesn't matter to me immediately as I have only one video, but what if I have videos from different sources that I want to combine. If I import a 30 fps into 24 fps does LW drop every fifth frame? Or to import a 24 fps into 30 fps does LW duplicate every fourth frame to make it fit?

Re: Beginner Basics Editing Demo Tutorial? 2 weeks, 4 days ago #241181

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 2 weeks, 4 days ago
If that's what you're doing, looking through the user guide may be a better approach. There's the V2021.2 quick start guide and the V2020.1 User Guide found in downloads > documents.

Hands on learning is the best approach.

There's no point in doing a 24fps video export unless you're doing something for cinema release or you want that drop frame look or for international TV sales distribution.

Lightworks has changed to a universal frame rate, so you will need to change the frame rate for export. If it's originally 30fps and you edit in a 24 fps sequence and then want a 30 fps export, you'll have to copy into a new 30fps sequence that's linked to your original 30fps media.

For a complete beginner, you seem to ask more complex questions than you'd expect.
Last Edit: 2 weeks, 4 days ago by briandrys.

Re: Beginner Basics Editing Demo Tutorial? 2 weeks, 4 days ago #241182

• probe
  • Junior Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 4 days ago
@briandrys it's only complex because I've been faced in the tutorial with complex choices that I thought I needed to ask about. If I don't need to know that, great

Good tip on the user guide, I'll go there. There's always a certain reluctance to RTFM when one is used to launching an app and fiddling about. This app is not simple so I need to be more deliberate in learning it.

There was a comment earlier on about Mad Tech being a teacher. Well, it shows. There's a difference between someone (who may not be an expert in the subject) who knows how to use familiar language to lead people from a point of knowing nothing to knowing something useful; and someone expert in their field doing a product demo using the jargon of their trade.

Re: Beginner Basics Editing Demo Tutorial? 2 weeks, 4 days ago #241189

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 2 weeks, 4 days ago
The Mad Tech tutorials will get you up and going, but the official ones will show you more effective ways of doing things in the longer term.

Having the User Guide open on a reader and some junk video files in Lightworks to see it in action is really the way to go. You can't learn to brick lay without laying bricks, it's the same with Lightworks and other programs.

Re: Beginner Basics Editing Demo Tutorial? 1 week, 4 days ago #241755

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 week, 4 days ago
I notice that Mad Tech uses mark and park in his new 2021 beginners video.

Re: Beginner Basics Editing Demo Tutorial? 1 week, 4 days ago #241756

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 week, 4 days ago
Finally!!!

Re: Beginner Basics Editing Demo Tutorial? 1 week, 3 days ago #241835

• edWD7
  • Gold Boarder
  • 1 week, 3 days ago
an interesting subject
= Dell Precision T3500
Processor: 1x Xeon Quad Core @ 2.66 GHz
Memory: 4 GB
HDD: 160 GB - WD Velociraptor 10K RPM
Optical: DVDRW
Video: Nvidia Quadro FX 1800 _ 768 MB
_Lightworks 14.5

Re: Beginner Basics Editing Demo Tutorial? 1 week, 3 days ago #241837

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 3 days ago
I find that Mad Tech's volunteer work and support in respect to Lightworks is truly honorabel, no matter if he uses an out-mark or not.

On the other hand, mark and park is a truly handy feature, which I'm missing almost anywhere else. Thus, it cannot be praised enough.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 1 week, 3 days ago by hugly.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.48 seconds
Scroll To Top