Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Tutorial - How to make a section of video SLOW MOTION without using any FX effect or program

Tutorial - How to make a section of video SLOW MOTION without using any FX effect or program 8 years, 8 months ago #22666

• Ken2011
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 8 years, 8 months ago
This tutorial video shows how you can make a section of video in an edit either SLOW MOTION or FAST MOTION, without any special FX effect or program!

This is accomplished using the "Advanced" tab on the edit, and then adjusting the track speed. However, it is slightly more complicated than it sounds, as you must open a seperate edit with just the few seconds that are to be slow motion or fast motion on it, and then make the track speed adjustment while also stretching the timeline to accomodate for the extra space the slowed down clip will require.

Here is the video, I recommend expanding it to full screen, and viewing at 720p for the best viewing quality!

Last Edit: 8 years, 8 months ago by Ken2011. Reason: Forgot to put "tutorial" in the subject line
The topic has been locked.

Re: Tutorial - How to make a section of video SLOW MOTION without using any FX effect or program 8 years, 8 months ago #22675

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 8 years, 8 months ago
Good tutorial. Being new, I had not considered opening multiple edits in a room. I don't know why, it just didn't occur to me. I have been using multiple rooms for different edits. Using multiple edits in one room is a good beginner's tip.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 10 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: Tutorial - How to make a section of video SLOW MOTION without using any FX effect or program 8 years, 8 months ago #22678

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 8 years, 8 months ago
Here's another, I think easier way. Say you have a 40 second clip and you want the the middel 20 seconds to be condensed to 10 seconds for a final 30 second clip. First, add 5 minutes of black into your edit, then in your source clip, mark and park the first 10 seconds. Insert this into the edit then mark and park 10 seconds in the black at the end of your first insert. Go back to the source clip and hit the Swap shortcut ("q" or "w"). Now drag the red marker past the blue one and set it at 20 seconds past the blue mark. Hit Alt+V. this will insert the 20 seconds of marked video into the 10 seconds marked in the edit (that section will play 2X normal speed. Go back to your source clip and hit Swap again and drag the red marker to the end of the clip. Click Insert again and this will insert the final section of normal speed video onto the end of your edit.
Work Comp: Retired!
Home Comp: Newer! Bigger! Faster!
Send me a tip: paypal.me/4khaver

Re: Tutorial - How to make a section of video SLOW MOTION without using any FX effect or program 8 years, 8 months ago #22684

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 8 years, 8 months ago
What aboout this?

Your clip is in yout Stripview - playing at normal speed. go to the point you want it to change speed. Make an 'empty cut' ('Mark&Park' at the same spot select 'remove') LW has now created at cut point and when on the cut point it is on the first frame of the incoming shot in edit terms. Change the speed at this point. Play to the point you want another speed chnage - repeat the process, in your case change back to normal speed.

The clever thing that LW does is, whether or not you are at the beginning of a shot in your edit, when you change speed in LW the frame you are parked on will be in the same position after your speed change.
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: Tutorial - How to make a section of video SLOW MOTION without using any FX effect or program 8 years, 8 months ago #22692

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 8 years, 8 months ago
I'll have to try that tomorrow (I'm in bed reading the forum on my iPod).
Work Comp: Retired!
Home Comp: Newer! Bigger! Faster!
Send me a tip: paypal.me/4khaver

Re: Tutorial - How to make a section of video SLOW MOTION without using any FX effect or program 7 years, 5 months ago #51362

• KatPetrelli
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 7 years, 5 months ago
I am watching this tutorial over and over and for some reason I just cant get to grips with understanding it >.< Is there a really really simple way to explain this? I am such a slow learner, it frustrates me to not understand something that looks so straight forward

Re: Tutorial - How to make a section of video SLOW MOTION without using any FX effect or program 7 years, 5 months ago #51374

• brdloush
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 years, 5 months ago
It's easy. In order to change speed of some of your clip in your edit, do following steps:

1. make sure your edit is in record mode
  2. open your edit's timeline
  3. move the playhead to the frame which you want to "appear at that specific place". (eg. you might want to place the playhead to the very first frame of the clip whose speed you want to change)
  4. click "Advanced" button in bottom-right end timeline window
  5. change speed value from default "100%" to something else (50% = 2x slow down; 200% = 2x speed up, -100% = play backwards at normal speed; -50% = 2x slow down backwards, -200% = 2x speed up backwards)

That's it. You should know that this "speed of current clip" feature is very basic form of speed alteration. Basically it's either skipping frames (eg. in case you specify 200%, every 2nd frame will be skipped) or "duplicating" frames (25% means that each frame will actually be shown for period of 4 frames).

No interpolation is performed by this functionality - there are other 3rd party apps out there that can do interpolation. (Twixtor, Slowmovideo,..).

It's really simple and basic functionality, but it's often enough in many scenarios.

Re: Tutorial - How to make a section of video SLOW MOTION without using any FX effect or program 7 years, 5 months ago #51378

• KatPetrelli
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 7 years, 5 months ago
Thanks so much Its starting to make more sense to me now. I am so greatful for this forum

Re: Tutorial - How to make a section of video SLOW MOTION without using any FX effect or program 7 years, 5 months ago #51538

• Robmonster
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 7 years, 5 months ago
What a great forum, this is exactly what I want to do on a video I've recorded. Speed a bit of the video up, and add a music track over the top to coincide with the sped up section.

Re: Tutorial - How to make a section of video SLOW MOTION without using any FX effect or program 7 years, 1 month ago #58345

• hansemmanuel
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 7 years, 1 month ago
I am not seeing any video under this topic . Could you please help me to find the video tutorial ?

Re: Tutorial - How to make a section of video SLOW MOTION without using any FX effect or program 7 years ago #60665

• maeday
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 7 years ago
Okay this might be a dumb question but how do you get the black clip and add it with the clip that you want to edit?

Re: Tutorial - How to make a section of video SLOW MOTION without using any FX effect or program 7 years ago #60671

• brdloush
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 years ago
Right click the "Create new edit" icon and select "Create video black (5 mins)" option. Then just mark a part of it and insert it into your edit's timeline.

Re: Tutorial - How to make a section of video SLOW MOTION without using any FX effect or program 7 years ago #60674

• maeday
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 7 years ago
Oh, I'm pretty new with this program so thanks so much for your help !!

Re: Tutorial - How to make a section of video SLOW MOTION without using any FX effect or program 6 years ago #85524

is it just me or is making slow motion edits within clips way harder than it should be? i only downloaded lightworks a few days ago and am struggling to follow the 12 minute long tutorial video. why isnt there a simpler way of doing it like select in and out point and then choose speed for that section.

Re: Tutorial - How to make a section of video SLOW MOTION without using any FX effect or program 6 years ago #85528

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 6 years ago
It can't get much easier than type in the speed then trim if necessary to adjust the length. If you want to just varispeed a section, hit "c" key to force a cut at the point at which you want to change speed before making any adjustments. How hard is that?

(Rant warning!!)

It sounds to me as if you're trying to force Lightworks to work the way that another NLE you may be used to does. It isn't that NLE and it won't work that way. Sure, you can probably force it to and achieve maybe 90% functionality, but the experience is seldom enjoyable.

Get your head around the way that Lightworks operates - it will repay the effort. Come to grips with the mark and park editing paradigm. Explore the extremely powerful trim functions. Familiarise yourself with effects routing.

Lightworks is one of the fastest editors available when you drive it like Lightworks. If you try to drive it like something else you risk making it one of the slowest and most frustrating.

(end of rant)
Last Edit: 6 years ago by jwrl.
Time to create page: 0.48 seconds
Scroll To Top