Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Just getting started

Just getting started 1 month, 1 week ago #224775

I have written a little poem. It has about 8-10 "pages". Each page has about 3-8 verses.

I'd like to make a video like an ebook that shows the pages one at a time while I read them aloud. Then I want to upload that to YouTube.

Lightworks was recommended to me by a friend. Having read a little about what it can do, I assume this would be fairly easy. Right?

Is there a tutorial that specifically addresses this type of video?

Thanks

Re: Just getting started 1 month, 1 week ago #224778

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 month, 1 week ago
Welcome to the forum.

Watching the quick start video is a good way to get going. You do need to spend some time working out how to use Lightworks. There is a title/text effect in VFX.

Re: Just getting started 1 month, 1 week ago #224781

OK. I'm going through it now. When I clicked on Create a new project, it asked me for a frame rate. The tutorial doesn't explain what this is. My video will have very little "motion", just turning a page after I read it. What frame rate should I choose?

Re: Just getting started 1 month, 1 week ago #224782

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 month, 1 week ago
This video explains frame rates:

The usual method is to use the frame rate used by your country - Europe 25 fps North America 30 fps. Although, you can use the latter if you're intending to only upload to YouTube.

Re: Just getting started 1 month, 1 week ago #224785

• schrauber
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 1 week ago
If you want to import clips into your project, note that the project frame rate also influences which clips you can import.
If you need to record your clips that are yet to be imported, you may be able to adjust the framerate in the camera (or screen recording software).
But if you've already created your clips to import, or are getting them from other sources, you may have to make compromises?
If all the clips you want to import now and in the future for this project have the same framerate, then you can create a project with this project framerate.

But if you have clips with different framerates, there are several options:
- Project setting "Mixed rates" creates a 24 fps project. 24 fps - projects can handle all standard frame rates (be careful with exotic frame rates that are not listed). If your imported clips have higher frame rates, frames will be lost, which can look jerky when panning.

- If your clips have different frame rates, it is often recommended to convert them to a uniform frame rate before importing.

I would avoid "Auto" project framerate. This will automatically set the project to the framerate of the first imported clip, but if you have clips with different framerates, this may prevent you from importing the other clips. Depending on the workflow, some other oddities were noticed in this project setting.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Software: Lightworks 2020.1.1; || Windows 10 Home 1909, 64 Bit
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)
Last Edit: 1 month, 1 week ago by schrauber.

Re: Just getting started 1 month, 1 week ago #224787

• David Rasberry
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 1 week ago
Standard video frame rates for Lightworks are in the menu. 23.98 to 60 frames per second. For what you are doing the slower rate is better, 24fps is common.
You will have to create the graphics and artwork for your book animation. Or get a blank book like a moleskin and write your poems in it, then film the page flips. Probably the easiest way to start.
Razz

Digital Bolex 2k Cinema DNG raw camera
Canon GL2 DV camcorder
iPAD Mini 3 Iographer rig

Workstation: Intel i7-4770k, Asrock Z87 Thunderbolt 2 MB, 16GB 1866 DDR3 ram,
2TB Seagate Hybrid system drive, 2TB Seagate NAS media drive, E-sata III hot swap drive bay, Nvidia GTX760 2GB GPU
Lightworks kybrd. Shuttlepro v2
Win10 Pro 64bit, Lightworks 14.0 64bit

Mobile Workstation: MSI GTX72 Dominator
Intel i7-6700HQ 2.7GHz Win10 64bit
16GB DDR4 ram, 500GB M.2 SSD
Nvidia GTX970 3GB GPU
USB3, USB3.1-C, Thunderbolt 3 ports
Shuttlepro2 Win10 64bit LW 14.0 64 bit

Re: Just getting started 1 month, 1 week ago #224790

[This video explains frame rates:]

Ok, thanks. But my "video" will not have any motion other than pages turning. It's just a series of images with a voice over. It's like reading a book with the pages turning when the reading is complete.

Re: Just getting started 1 month, 1 week ago #224791

[ Or get a blank book like a moleskin and write your poems in it, then film the page flips. Probably the easiest way to start.]

That sounds like a good way to start. Is a moleskin something that I can load and then fill in? If so, how do I do that?

Re: Just getting started 1 month, 1 week ago #224792

OK, I have the first 4 "pages" of my poem ready in separate jpg files. How do I make them into a video and then record my reading the text and the video go to the next page when I am done reading that one?

Re: Just getting started 1 month, 1 week ago #224799

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 month, 1 week ago
The moleskin is a type of high quality notebook, that you write in. The idea is that you physically turn the pages, as on the old Hollywood films.

Alternately, there are a number of ways you could create your artwork. If you've got a program that does graphic design, you can import each page as a jpeg using the same method as importing a piece of video. This is explained in the quick start video.

You can either import your voice as a recording, or use the voice over function in Lightworks. For the latter you need to be able to have a microphone for your computer.

There is a page roll effect in custom effects: www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=7&id=188603&limit=15&limitstart=225&Itemid=81#189845

Re: Just getting started 1 month, 1 week ago #224829

• edWD7
  • Expert Boarder
  • 1 month, 1 week ago
_ if you have "pages" of your poem ready in separate jpg files
_can't you just use theses ??
= Dell Precision T3500
Processor: 1x Xeon Quad Core @ 2.66 GHz
Memory: 4 GB
HDD: 160 GB - WD Velociraptor 10K RPM
Optical: DVDRW
Video: Nvidia Quadro FX 1800 _ 768 MB
_Lightworks 14.5
Last Edit: 1 month, 1 week ago by edWD7.

Re: Just getting started 1 month, 1 week ago #224833

edWD7 wrote:
_ if you have "pages" of you're poem ready in separate jpg files
_can't you just use theses ??

I created those jpgs just for LightWorks. Now that I am using PowerPoint, I can have text boxes that I can move around the slide along with any graphics, rather than having to exit to use a separate graphics program and the import the result.

Re: Just getting started 1 month, 1 week ago #224837

• arniepix
    Pro User
  • 1 month, 1 week ago
If all you really want is a slide show of each page, then maybe something like Powerpoint is a faster, better solution for you.

In Lightworks, you could add music, play you text over moving images, add funky effects like blur dissolves, etc. It may be overkill if all you really want is a slide show.

BTW, in the silent film era, roughly from 1890 to 1930, ALL dialog and narration was on title cards. In many films, these cards were just text, maybe with some simple border treatment. In the bigger budget films, the text was painted into a card that had some graphic treatment. If you had the money, each individual title card (there would be dozens) had a unique design.

THIS WAS ALL PAINTED BY HAND.

There was no copy/paste, but you could paint the common recurring background elements onto one transparent piece of acetate or cellophane or mylar, and then paint the unique elements onto another. This is how a lot of graphics were done up until the 1980s or 1990s, when computers finally became the norm.
I work in Manhattan, USA, but at night I cross the waters to sleep in Brooklyn, USA.

Also, post production is not an afterthought!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.60 seconds
Scroll To Top