Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Lightworks crashes when double clicking to open project

Re: Lightworks crashes when double clicking to open project 3 weeks, 4 days ago #217678

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 weeks, 4 days ago
Thanks.

It appears as if metadata in the Rooms folder got damaged somehow, I would have thought that shouldn't happen with V14.5 anymore.

With Lightworks shut down, delete the folder "..\Lightworks\P00300TX\Rooms", enter your project and see what happens.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Lightworks crashes when double clicking to open project 3 weeks, 4 days ago #217679

• stellan1
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 weeks, 4 days ago
I am able to open the "project" (I selected create new room)after chaning project to "flexible". But I have no idea how to use a room and don't have the time to ramp up on learning how to use a room..

Wonder if there's an update after seeing my attachment?

Re: Lightworks crashes when double clicking to open project 3 weeks, 4 days ago #217680

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 weeks, 4 days ago
Have you missed my latest post above?
Last Edit: 3 weeks, 4 days ago by hugly.

Re: Lightworks crashes when double clicking to open project 3 weeks, 4 days ago #217681

• stellan1
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 weeks, 4 days ago
Sorry hugly, i didn't see your reply until I replied to an earlier reply!

I followed what you suggested - deleted the folder "..\Lightworks\P00300TX\Rooms", relaunched Lights. I was able to open my project now. Thanks a bunch!!

Now - how can I avoid a crash again? Or what can I do to protect my project?

How do I clone a project? Or back it up?

Re: Lightworks crashes when double clicking to open project 3 weeks, 4 days ago #217682

• stellan1
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 weeks, 4 days ago
I remember the last thing I did before Lightworks crashed was I renamed either my sequence or the copy of my sequence (I thought I was renaming the copy, but now with the project opened, the original sequence wasn't renamed).

What's the right way to rename a sequence? Maybe I didn't rename using the right way..

Re: Lightworks crashes when double clicking to open project 3 weeks, 3 days ago #217683

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 weeks, 3 days ago
Metadata don't show what caused the crash, so I cannot say how to avoid. Crashes which damage projects happen quite rarely. However if you can find out what procedure exactly caused your crash, please tell.

The Lightworks data structure is very robust, it autosaves continuously the last few editing steps and a series of milestones. However, recovering a project, which can't be opened due to damaged metadata, using those files needs some knowledge of the internal data structures.

To save a projects at a certain state of progress, create a manual project backup of metadata only. Backups can be restored from 'Restore an archived project..' on the project browser. A very valuable feature, not only for disaster recovery.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Lightworks crashes when double clicking to open project 3 weeks, 3 days ago #217685

• stellan1
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 weeks, 3 days ago
Hugly, thanks a bunch for showing me how to do backup! Yeah, I can't recall the exact set of steps that led to the crash though I am almost certain I was renaming my sequences..

Thanks again, your prompt responses and help were much appreciated!
Last Edit: 3 weeks, 3 days ago by stellan1.

Re: Lightworks crashes when double clicking to open project 3 weeks, 3 days ago #217686

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 weeks, 3 days ago
My pleasure!

Even a reproducible crash will not necessarily damage metadata. The phenomenon has a highly random character.

As a matter of interest, after making your first backup, can you reproduce a crash on your system with the procedure you describe?
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.30 seconds
Scroll To Top