Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Is the footage used in the LWKS Quickstart tutorial available to download?

Is the footage used in the LWKS Quickstart tutorial available to download? 3 months, 1 week ago #215003

• DNL
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
It would be great to have for students if so. My students are tired of the coffee shop material and I would like them to edit documentary footage.

Any ideas for other good sources of dailies and footage?
LenovoThinkPad P70, Xeon E3, 64 GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro M3000M, SSD internal HD, Windows 7 Professional 64 bit.

Re: Is the footage used in the LWKS Quickstart tutorial available to download? 3 months, 1 week ago #215031

• arniepix
    Pro User
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
There's a demo project you can download, but is that the coffee shop footage you're referring to?

You can also look at sources like the Prelinger Archive or public domain archives on YouTube.
I work in Manhattan, USA, but at night I cross the waters to sleep in Brooklyn, USA.

Also, post production is not an afterthought!
Last Edit: 3 months, 1 week ago by arniepix.

Re: Is the footage used in the LWKS Quickstart tutorial available to download? 3 months, 1 week ago #215033

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
I suspect that's the coffee shop media that's currently being used.

Re: Is the footage used in the LWKS Quickstart tutorial available to download? 3 months, 1 week ago #215036

• DNL
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
Yeah, the students have used the coffee shop women shots to death. I would love to have the surfing material so they could follow along with the Quick Start tutorial and also do their own versions. It is a simple doc project which would be good too along with the narrative coffee shop scenes with the two women.
LenovoThinkPad P70, Xeon E3, 64 GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro M3000M, SSD internal HD, Windows 7 Professional 64 bit.

Re: Is the footage used in the LWKS Quickstart tutorial available to download? 3 months, 1 week ago #215037

• arniepix
    Pro User
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
When I learned editing, we did the famous "Gunsmoke" exercise. We were given rolls of 16mm picture from a very old Gunsmoke episode, synced that to 16mm mag track for the sound and then cut them together on 16mm flat bed edit tables. My partner and I had the best punch in the class. We also had to record our own sound effects & find music.

Someone has posted the American Cinema Editors instructional film on YouTube. Note that the presenter is sitting in front of a Moviola upright!
I work in Manhattan, USA, but at night I cross the waters to sleep in Brooklyn, USA.

Last Edit: 3 months, 1 week ago by arniepix.

Re: Is the footage used in the LWKS Quickstart tutorial available to download? 3 months, 1 week ago #215064

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
+1 for more demo footage for educational purposes and demos.

Isn't there anybody out there who can provide a set of (contemporary) dailies for some scenes without claiming copyright fees for educational purposes.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Is the footage used in the LWKS Quickstart tutorial available to download? 3 months, 1 week ago #215072

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
arniepix wrote:
When I learned editing, we did the famous "Gunsmoke" exercise.

I think the whole world learnt editing on that "Gunsmoke" fight scene! That's the one with Anthony Quinn of "Zorba the Greek" fame in an early role, isn't it?

Lightworks used to include in its early releases a scene from an English David Jason crime series the name of which escapes me at the moment. I used to use that footage at trade shows. There was also the footage for a German coffee commercial. I don't know what happened to them but if you could track them down they would be useful too.

hugly wrote:
Isn't there anybody out there who can provide a set of (contemporary) dailies for some scenes without claiming copyright fees for educational purposes.

Depending on the contracts, that can be quite problematic. That's why I use the collection of stills and scenic footage that I do when explaining Lightworks issues. If you could guarantee that it could never be used in the public domain you might get somewhere but with Youtube the way that it is...
Last Edit: 3 months, 1 week ago by jwrl.

Re: Is the footage used in the LWKS Quickstart tutorial available to download? 3 months, 1 week ago #215229

• arniepix
    Pro User
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
Not Anthony Quinn, but Jack Klugman (Oscar in the Odd Couple TV show that I grew up with).

Re: Is the footage used in the LWKS Quickstart tutorial available to download? 3 months, 1 week ago #215237

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
Yes, you're right. It was Jack Klugman - I've just checked. Ah, the memory isn't what it once was...

Re: Is the footage used in the LWKS Quickstart tutorial available to download? 3 months ago #215244

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months ago
I gather ACE distributed the mentioned fight scene from Gunsmoke on DVD in the past. It's a bit hidden on their site, but they still distribute a download version for 50 USD, here:

americancinemaeditors.org/editing-cd-interpretation-values/

Long live history!

Re: Is the footage used in the LWKS Quickstart tutorial available to download? 2 months, 3 weeks ago #216056

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 3 weeks ago
While searching for some multicam footage for free, I found Cinestudy.org. They offer video material for free. I've downloaded the multicam material and it looks quite good for educational purposes and demos. There's other material as well, maybe worth a look?

vimeo.com/framelines

Of course, they appreciate (and deserve) donations and don't forget to credit them when going public.
Last Edit: 2 months, 3 weeks ago by hugly.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.36 seconds
Scroll To Top