Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: A/V Out of Sync

A/V Out of Sync 2 months, 2 weeks ago #194261

• Stanwii
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 months, 2 weeks ago
Hi All, I'm new to Lightworks and to this forum (obviously), so I am another one of those people looking for dumbed down explanations. I recently started a YouTube channel just using a Microsoft Lifecam-HD 3000 and a wired headset I had sitting around. After doing some research, I decided to pick up OBS Studio to do my recordings and Lightworks for my editing. After messing around with them a bit, I felt like I had the rudiments down. But of course, that camera is not the greatest for quality video.

I decided to try to step up a little bit and ordered A Marantz AVS. It seems to offer a decent setup for a newbie like me, and when I got it yesterday it definitely improved the picture quality. Unfortunately, it introduced a number of new problems that I do not know how to fix. Hopefully someone here can tell me either how to fix them, or if I should just send it back.

First off, my PC specs. They're low, and I cannot afford to replace it right now. I have a Lenovo C260, Intel Celeron J1800 @2.41 GHz, 4GB RAM, and I think my video card is an Intel HD Graphics. I don't know what all of that means, I just know I bought this thing years ago and it wasn't on the cutting edge then. I get that it might not be able to process the videos, so I can go back to what I was doing if that is the case. Just did not want to give up too early if things can be fixed.

So here is what happened. I used the AVS to do some recording with OBS Studio, but it resulted in a big delay. The recording was at least a second behind me, and behind the audio when I replayed it. Interestingly enough, I decided to test out the Camera app that comes with Windows 10, and it did not have any of that latency. That does not seem to be the biggest issue.

When I went to edit it in Lightworks, though, the trouble started up again. For whatever reason, the audio was at chipmunk speeds. I figured out how to slow it down to 50%, which made it sound right. But after I finished my edits and saved to my hard drive, the latency returned. It is not quite as bad as with OBS, but still off-putting. Also, the video cuts off about ten seconds before the audio does (even though the video is actually behind for most of the rest of the recording).

Any idea of what I have done wrong? Or is the camera just too much for my system? Whatever you can suggest will be greatly appreciated.

Re: A/V Out of Sync 2 months, 2 weeks ago #194262

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 2 weeks ago
Hello,

Thank you for the information. That sounds like a bunch of problems.

Could you post mediainfo reports of all involved recordings (the original files), please. Here you'll find details: www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=23&id=66072&Itemid=81
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: A/V Out of Sync 2 months, 2 weeks ago #194268

• Stanwii
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 months, 2 weeks ago
Thanks for helping! I downloaded MediaInfo and it shows a lot of information that is basically Greek to me. I only have a few, which I attempted to attach below. Let me know if that worked or not.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: A/V Out of Sync 2 months, 2 weeks ago #194288

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 2 weeks ago
It worked, thank you.

Parts from the mediainfos:

F:\Quest\2019-03-06 17-30-50.mp4
Width : 1 280 pixels
Height : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 30.000 FPS
F:\Quest\2019_03_12 Raw part 1.mp4
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Frame rate mode : Variable
Frame rate : 17.116 FPS
F:\Quest\2019_03_12 Raw part 2.mp4
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Frame rate mode : Variable
Frame rate : 17.085 FPS

Two of the three recordings show variable frame rate with non-standard nominal frame rates (17.116 fps and 17.085 fps). Although Lightworks V14.5 supports variable frame rates, it does not support non-standard frame rates.

As a fist step to optimize your workflow, you should convert those files prior to import to a standard frame rate. Since you run a comparably low powered system and, with the free version export resolution is limited to 720p anyway, I'd suggest converting all files to 720p24 fps with third party software. For the 30 fps file to reduce frame rate, for the others to correct frame rate and to reduce resolution.

You can use e.g. free software Handbrake for that. This refers to an older version of Handbrake, but it shows some suitable settings: www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=23&id=166802&Itemid=81#167830
With current V1.2.1 of Handbrake, the easiest way is starting with the 'Production.Standard' preset and modifying the values as shown in the post linked to above. Then, set frame rate to 24 and size to 1280x720.
Last Edit: 2 months, 2 weeks ago by hugly.

Re: A/V Out of Sync 2 months, 2 weeks ago #194293

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 2 weeks ago
I summarized the description of the setup in a loadable preset created with Handbrake V1.2.1, named 'High 720p24.json'. I've attached it as zipped archive to unpack and import.

Download, install and start Handbrake, import some video, use 'Options.Import from file', lower left hand side, to load the unpacked file. It'll show up as 'High 720p24' under 'Custom Presets'. Select the preset and start encoding.
Attachments:
Last Edit: 2 months, 2 weeks ago by hugly.

Re: A/V Out of Sync 2 months, 1 week ago #194394

• Stanwii
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
I had a chance to follow up on your advice, and things are working better for me now. I’m still going to return the camera because it doesn’t provide enough of an upgrade now. That will have to wait until I get a new computer. Something else did go wrong. For whatever reason, going back to my Lifecam did not fix the syncing issue in Lightworks. But thanks to the settings for Handbrake you shared, things seem to be working atm. Thanks so much for your help!

Re: A/V Out of Sync 2 months, 1 week ago #194409

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
Bringing together simultaneous recordings from different not synchronized devices on a low powered computers is a difficult task, indeed. With webcams and similar low cost devices it might be almost impossible.

Conforming all recordings to some standard format and frame rate is just one step.

Which Mediainfo report shows your Lifecam? Could you explain what kind of sync issues do you encounter with it? Is sound to late or too early, by what amount? Is sync drifting maybe?
Last Edit: 2 months, 1 week ago by hugly.

Re: A/V Out of Sync 2 months, 1 week ago #194450

• Stanwii
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
The Lifecam recordings were the ones with the variable framerate. What's weird is, it was working perfectly fine with OBS and Lightworks before I tried using my new camera. After that did not work out, I went back to the Lifecam but the syncing problem stayed the same.

The problem, encountered with all my cameras, was that the audio was ahead of the video. It was by about 1 second, so fairly severe. And if I understand drifting correctly, that was not happening. The problem was the same throughout.

Also, since there may be more to figure out, I should tell you that I have introduced another factor. I decided to try using my phone to take the recordings. That allows me to skip OBS, and the video quality (even with the front-facing camera) has been higher than the Lifecam. Once I take them, I send them to my PC and feed them through Handbrake, then edit in Lightworks. So far, I have not experienced the issue that brought me here.

Re: A/V Out of Sync 2 months, 1 week ago #194470

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
Thank you for the feedback.

Sound ahead of picture after export might indicate that you've shifted/trimmed audio in the timeline for syncing sound to picture by listening. That won't work on low powered computers due to audio delay in preview caused most likely by buffering issues.

As I understand from your post, you're comfortable for the moment with what you have, after dropping the Lifecam footage and using phone recordings?

Re: A/V Out of Sync 2 months, 1 week ago #194493

• Stanwii
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
Does that mean I should avoid doing any trimming and removing sections from a recording? I have been making cuts like that, but to both the video and audio at the same time. I would not know how to do anything to the audio on its own, but perhaps I was doing it accidentally. Though fwiw, the syncing issues were present in a lot of my recordings before I even opened them in Lightworks. It was particularly a problem with OBS recordings made with the new camera I was trying out.

That said, I would say I am comfortable with my current situation. It isn't perfect, but I am just starting out and the most important thing right now is just to be able to get content out on a consistent basis. Hopefully things stay stable for a bit. Again, thank you so much for your help. I'm pretty sure I would have given up on it if not for what you have provided.

Re: A/V Out of Sync 2 months, 1 week ago #194497

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
Glad to be able to help.

Stanwii wrote:
Does that mean I should avoid doing any trimming and removing sections from a recording?

No, you can do all that. Just bear in mind that there could be audio delay in preview which you shouldn't compensate. If not sure, export a section which appear to be out of sync and watch with a media player. If you should use separately recorded audio, don't try syncing by listening, use the wave forms on the timeline.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.33 seconds
Scroll To Top