Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Absolute Beginners absolute confusion

Absolute Beginners absolute confusion 1 year, 1 month ago #179615

• stanperry
As an absolute beginner to video editing, I must tell you that the tutorials are nearly worthless. After watching several, all the while poised to begin...laptop in lap, fairly worthless video loaded and ready. That's as far as I've gotten. The videos all assume you know SOMETHING. I don't. The videos have icons and other on screen objects that do not exist on mine (I assume there were changes made since the tutorials were made that render the tutorials obsolete). I don't understand the rows of areas labled v1, v2, a1. I can't figure out what the brackets on those areas are for......on and on. If I ever got my video loaded and someone could tell me simply how to put it in an area created to edit it, how to cut junk out of that video, insert something into the gap created by cutting it (or joining those pieces together), save it, review it, add some music to it, I'd be a very happy moron. Right now, I have about 12 hours invested in tutorials that lose me by using terminology that I don't understand, or telling me to click an icon that isn't there. I'd love to find a humanoid that could talk me through my first edit. I've looked, but aside from some personal instruction that costs thousands of dollars, I've found nothing. I'm very discouraged, but determined to learn it nonetheless. Can you help?

Re: Absolute Beginners absolute confusion 1 year, 1 month ago #179620

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 1 month ago
Hello,

Have a close look to this video tutorial and try to follow all steps shown there with your own material. I think it will get you started.

It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Absolute Beginners absolute confusion 1 year, 1 month ago #179624

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 year, 1 month ago
The more advanced tutorials use what is the flexible layout in V14, the principles are the same and work in the default fixed layout if you follow the procedures. However, you can use either layout in V14, the choice is yours:

www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=26&id=142324&Itemid=81

"The rows of areas labeled v1, v2, a1" are tracks - V for video ans A for audio.

You may find that the V14 User Guide found in downloads > documentation works better for. IF you work through from the start together with Lightworks it may make sense.

Don't attempt to do any serious work at first, just play. Undo and redo are your friends, these are the circular arrows found below the right hand viewer. You won't damage your original video if you make a mistake.
Last Edit: 1 year, 1 month ago by briandrys.

Re: Absolute Beginners absolute confusion 1 year, 1 month ago #179662

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 year, 1 month ago
As an absolute beginner, you may find this unofficial video useful.

EDIT Use the mark and park as discussed in following messages together with a link that explains it, instead of "in" and "out" as used in the video for faster editing - mark and park speeds things up.

Note that this is for V14. There are other useful unofficial videos, which have different styles.

Using the subtitles in these YouTube videos may help, because you can freeze frame them and still read the instructions.

Re: Absolute Beginners absolute confusion 1 year, 1 month ago #179663

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 year, 1 month ago
Just one issue in that tutorial - he shows a mark in and mark out when editing. As we all know, you definitely don't need to do that. You can, but it's a little pointless. Mark one end, park at the other, and you're ready to edit.

Re: Absolute Beginners absolute confusion 1 year, 1 month ago #179664

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 year, 1 month ago
Unfortunately, using in and out instead of the much quicker Mark and Park is a common flaw with almost all the unofficial videos.

Mark and park can be found here:

www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=27&id=110089&Itemid=81#110091
Last Edit: 1 year ago by briandrys.

Re: Absolute Beginners absolute confusion 1 year, 1 month ago #179665

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 1 month ago
FWIW

Personally I prefer populating the timeline from left to right (following time), as shown in the official video tutorial, instead of "puzzle editing" clips over empty timeline by dragging back and forth. I believe that isn't only a matter of taste, as soon as 30 or more clips are present in the timeline "puzzle editing" becomes difficult and the timing of already finished parts is messed up very easily.

Three-point insert/replace from source into target seems at a first glance not so intuitive as moving clips with the mouse over timeline, but it forces me to watch frames and timing on each operation and that's what I want to do anyway to create watchable video and, it works even on complex timelines with hundreds of cuts heavily zoomed-in with eye on material and not timeline.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 1 year, 1 month ago by hugly.

Re: Absolute Beginners absolute confusion 1 year, 1 month ago #179667

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 year, 1 month ago
This tutorial does seem to be very much aimed at total beginners, unfortunately, that may not use the best methods for when you start progressing. The official tutorials are better at setting you up for the more efficient methods, if you are willing to give up (in part) on the intuitive (i,e, what you are used to).

Re: Absolute Beginners absolute confusion 1 year, 1 month ago #179670

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 year, 1 month ago
Other unofficial basic videos, which may assist. I suspect these address to some extent the "puzzle editing" style, but use the mark and park as mentioned above, instead of "in" and "out" as used in the video for faster editing.

Re: Absolute Beginners absolute confusion 1 year, 1 month ago #179679

• stanperry
Thanks to each of you! Not to appear ungrateful, or snarky (a term I hear on tv that seems to be a made up word, so if I have the wrong tone, I apologize), but your discussions centered on 3 point, or puzzles, are far into the future. Right now, if I can figure out how to get a clip on the editing window, play the video and move the piece I want to keep onto the timeline (is that the 3 horizontal "lines" under the "viewer" window? I don't know what else to call them, but they are labeled v1, v2, a1). The time lines do not show the area that is on them in a view that is recognizable, but rather symbology, such that looking at the timeline, I have no earthly idea what it is, or how to associate it with the normal movie view in the upper right window. You all talk about "marking" a section that you want to move or (I assume) disconnect from the rest of the clip. I assume you mean that you are marking a section that you want to cut out? When I play the clip in the regular view on the upper right window, I see nothing in terms of "marking" anything.
Well, I would try to tell you more, but the sheer volume of what I don't know would exceed the 16 gb memory on my iPad.

Re: Absolute Beginners absolute confusion 1 year, 1 month ago #179680

• stanperry
BTW, I forgot to thank you all for the links you sent. I appreciate them, and I will watch each of them!

Re: Absolute Beginners absolute confusion 1 year, 1 month ago #179681

• stanperry
One other question......can I edit photos as well? I'm trying the free light room right now, and it's ok. But it seems I can't edit video with it. I don't want to have to pay for 2 separate programs (I would enjoy that situation, were I the developer and busy selling them). I've also found photoscape (at the advice of Tony Northrop on YouTube) which works just as well as adobe) for stills. Any feedback on it? Have any of you tried it?

Re: Absolute Beginners absolute confusion 1 year, 1 month ago #179683

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 1 month ago
stanperry wrote:
... You all talk about "marking" a section that you want to move or (I assume) disconnect from the rest of the clip. I assume you mean that you are marking a section that you want to cut out? When I play the clip in the regular view on the upper right window, I see nothing in terms of "marking" anything...

Your question will be answered in the above video "Lightworks v14 - Quick Start Guide" from 1:20 min.

stanperry wrote:
... can I edit photos as well?

Not really, unless you want to export the photos as a video.

You can put photos in the timeline and add effects (VFX tab above).
However you can export these in the free version only as mp4 video, up to a maximum of 720p.
There are still hidden keyboard shortcuts, with which you can also save individual frames from the timeline as png image, which are automatically scaled to the video format selected in the project settings (maximum UHD).
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz) ; Intel HD Graphics 4600

Re: Absolute Beginners absolute confusion 1 year, 1 month ago #179684

• stanperry
This tutorial is awesome! I'll give it a try tomorrow, but it appears to give me enough info, and a step by step VISUAL example, which will help me hugely. It adds the audio without explains how they put it in, but he says he has another video that explains it. OMG!! Thank you! I'll be watching his other videos, and also the links supplied by the other folks who replied. I doubt I would have found this on my own. Many thanks!

Re: Absolute Beginners absolute confusion 1 year, 1 month ago #179685

• stanperry
What is the link, or the website? I'd like to find it on my own and to look at the others he has done.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.40 seconds
Scroll To Top