Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Changing image length in a slideshow

Changing image length in a slideshow 1 year, 10 months ago #152494

• dinogal23
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 year, 10 months ago
I'm trying to make a slideshow with 500+ images for an event and figured using a video editor would be simpler than making a powerpoint with a slide for each image. However, whenever I add an image to my sequence, it has a default length of one minute. Is there a way to mass enter that I only want each image to last five seconds? It would take forever to manually edit each image down. All help is appreciated

Re: Changing image length in a slideshow 1 year, 10 months ago #152499

• timzett
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 10 months ago
You find this setting in the Import dialog when you click on the Cogs icon.
Note that my description refers to the Flexible layout:
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Lwks x64 14.5 (pro license), on Windows 10
HARDWARE PC1:
.Intel Core i7-4710HQ Quad-core 2,50 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM
.GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M with 4 GB RAM
.Sound: Onboard (Realtek)
.Disks: 250 GB SSD internal (OS/programs), 1 TB internal SATA for editing material
HARDWARE PC2:
.Intel Core2Quad, 8 GB RAM, 800 MHz FSB
.GPU: NVIDIA Quadro 600 with 1 GB DDR3 RAM
.Sound: Focusrite Saffire Pro (FW)
.Disks: 1x 250 GB SSD internal (OS/programs), 1x eSATA II (external) 1 TB for editing material (video and audio)
CAMs: Sony PXW-X70, NEX-5n
Last Edit: 1 year, 10 months ago by timzett.

Re: Changing image length in a slideshow 1 year, 10 months ago #152501

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 10 months ago
Hello and welcome!

Stills duration is a pre-ingest setting. It has to be done prior to import of image files. Afterwards you can change duration of each image by trimming one by one.

Press F1 to open import window (Local Files),right-click into the window, select from menu "Import Commands" "Video.Stills duration" "5", make sure that "Video.Detect image-sequences" is de-selected.

Important: Close and re-open the project after you changed the settings and before starting import to get the internal values properly updated. This is necessary due to a bug in recent version.

EDIT: Hi timzett, I missed your post above. The note about the bug related to update of parameters of Import Commands might be important anyway.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 1 year, 10 months ago by hugly.

Re: Changing image length in a slideshow 2 months, 1 week ago #194639

• Calystes
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
Hello Hugly! I have the same problem as dinogal23, except I wish to creat a stills duration of under 1 second for about a hundred pictures. The automatic stills duration tool only goes down to 1. I have been searching everywhere, and there seems to be no other solution than to reduce them one by one. Is there another possibility that would be less time-consuming?

Re: Changing image length in a slideshow 2 months ago #194642

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 2 months ago
Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately, you can only select down to 1 second during import.

If your stills are an image sequence you can use that method, this is used for animation or time lapse using stills.
Last Edit: 2 months ago by briandrys.

Re: Changing image length in a slideshow 2 months ago #194644

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months ago
You can make a sequence (from bin commands) with all images to be shortened, create a print from this sequence, insert the print into a sequence, speed it up as needed (to shorten duration), create a traced sequence and use it as source for your target sequence.

As a matter of interest, are you planning to present 100 stills in a row with a duration below 1 second?

Edit: This sounds pretty complicated and it is to some extend, but the steps are comparably fast.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 2 months ago by hugly.

Re: Changing image length in a slideshow 2 months ago #194660

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 2 months ago
In LW Pro one would make a timeline render of the stills section then slow/speed that to suit.

In LW free it is is possible to emulate that -

- Make the one second sequence of stills
- Export at the best available resolution
- Re-import that use it in an edit at whatever speed is best - in some cases that might be a fit-to-fill speed

There is no significant quality loss on the subsequent final export.

The attached image shows the three stages from top left to bottom right
- Original import
- Re-import import of 'original' Edit
- re-import of 200% speed (half running time) edit

This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation
Last Edit: 2 months ago by RWAV.

Re: Changing image length in a slideshow 2 months ago #194674

• Calystes
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 months ago
Thank you all very much for your speedy answers!
Your answers all helped all lot, and it helps a lot to create the perfect edit.

To answer to your question, Hugly, I'm making a video to celebrate most of my friends'last year at school. We're about a hundred and we spent two years together in a very small school, so we're all very close but there are lots of pictures and lots of people to include. I want to create a mix of pictures and videos to the beat of Billy Joel's "We didn't start the fire" at a beat of around 0.8 second. I'm hoping that the mix between live action and stills at the beat of a catchy tune will make it more dynamic and, hopefully, nostalgic.

Thank you all again!

Re: Changing image length in a slideshow 2 months ago #194679

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months ago
Calystes wrote:
... I want to create a mix of pictures and videos to the beat of Billy Joel's "We didn't start the fire" at a beat of around 0.8 second. I'm hoping that the mix between live action and stills at the beat...

That sounds like a somewhat complex timeline?
Did you work with "Cue"? This will allow you to mark in audio, for example, the frames at which a video sequence should end, and start the 0.8-second image sequence, etc. I usually place the Cue in the source (not in the target sequence timeline), which then into the target sequence can be displayed. This positions the cue relative to the primary T / C, increasing flexibility (for example if the audio is moved, sections of it are copied, etc.). This works better in the flexiblen layout because the source timeline is visible there (for future versions of Lightworks it is announced that this source timeline will also be visible in the fixed layout).

You can also use macros that automatically select the next image tile and add a set number of frames to the target timeline. Or insert a number of images of the desired length (one single keystroke).

More details if interested.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz) ; Intel HD Graphics 4600
Last Edit: 2 months ago by schrauber.

Re: Changing image length in a slideshow 2 months ago #194906

• Calystes
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 months ago
Wow!Thanks a lot for this detailed suggestion. I've experimented a bit with cue as I was trying to get the video sequence at the right time, but I am still a rather novice editor and I didn't quite get all the details of what you wrote. I don't think flexibility will be an issue as I will film a dance sequence with a friend where the song will be played in its entirety. I intend to hide most segments of that video with the rapid image sequence and videos of my friends. The previous solutions seemed sufficient to achieve my intended goal, but these tips with the Cue function will definitely be useful. Thanks a bunch!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.31 seconds
Scroll To Top