Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Lightworks V14 has two interface layouts.

Lightworks V14 has two interface layouts. 1 year, 2 months ago #142324

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 year, 2 months ago
A unique feature of V14 is that it has the option of two layouts.

1. FIXED LAYOUT, which has tabs that create workspaces for different stages of the edit - log, edit vfx and audio. Newcomers should find this an easier introduction to editing and is suitable for those editing short form, fast turnaround productions, For example YouTube and social marketing and corporate video makers.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

2 FLEXIBLE LAYOUT is the classical lightworks UI, which is aimed at the long form productions and those editors who wish to use the full depth of Lightworks features. Users should keep an eye out for changes especially around the timeline (now called sequence, rather than edit). Note there are some differences compared to V12.6.

If a first time user, don't panic, the flexible layout opens on an empty canvas into which you can open the panels and viewers you need using the toolbar on the left; working down, the icons are arranged pretty much in workflow order.

The opened panels and viewers can then be organised in the arrangement that best suits the way you work and pinned into position (if required).

As the project progresses, the flexible layout allows you to access the full power of Lightworks by having access to more than one sequence timeline, so that you can experiment with ideas and quickly compare different edits.

There's a wide range of methods for laying out the content manager (bins etc) depending on if you're a visual or keyword person, plus each clip's timeline can be opened.

How you organise the screen is your choice, e.g. you can have a FCPX style layout of you want.
Note the clip timeline, which isn't available in the fixed layout.

Multi monitors/screens can be used with the flexible layout:

YOU CAN SELECT THESE LAYOUTS IN THE SYSTEMS SETTING MENU on the top right of the project browser page (the one that Lightworks opens on).

NOTE (In response to the next two messages) You have to leave the project and return to the project browser if you want to switch between layouts when working on a project. Use the Arrow icon in the top left corner beside the project menu tab to do this - this applies to both Free and Pro versions, you can't directly switch.

Be aware that the layout will be the same as the last time you used it, so don't always expect the sequence you are currently working on in the other layout to be displayed (e.g if you'd been working on a different sequence). They're not interactive, so use the content manager to select the required sequence.

You can also switch between these layouts depending on your operation. For example log using the fixed layout and then switch to the flexible layout for the editing.

Some of the changes to the flexible timeline are outlined here:

www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=24&id=141955&Itemid=81#141962
Last Edit: 22 hours, 43 minutes ago by briandrys.

Re: Lightworks V14 has two interface layouts. 2 days, 12 hours ago #179161

• youbigtalker
  • Fresh Boarder
  • #Comments
  • 2 days, 12 hours ago
Is this layout choice just for the pro version? I can't seem to find this menu anywhere on my version - tried all the settings/grinding wheels.
youbigtalker.com/comments

Re: Lightworks V14 has two interface layouts. 2 days, 11 hours ago #179164

• Thinkalso
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thought of New Era
  • 2 days, 11 hours ago
I'm sorry but this Layout is only for Pro version. Others can't find in their settings. I've checked a lot but unable to see in my setting

Re: Lightworks V14 has two interface layouts. 2 days, 10 hours ago #179165

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 days, 10 hours ago
With the free version, both layouts are available:
(also works with the right mouse button)

Layout switching is not available within a project (so leave the project open if one is open)
Sorry, bad google translation.
I meant:
In case of an open project: close it to get to the project browser shown above.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz) ; Intel HD Graphics 4600
Last Edit: 1 day, 15 hours ago by schrauber.

Re: Lightworks V14 has two interface layouts. 1 day, 10 hours ago #179215

• youbigtalker
  • Fresh Boarder
  • #Comments
  • 1 day, 10 hours ago
Aha, that is where those wheels are, in the screen prior to opening a specific project -- thank you so much Schrauber! (Appreciate the screen shot, which says it all.)
youbigtalker.com/comments

Re: Lightworks V14 has two interface layouts. 1 day, 9 hours ago #179216

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 day, 9 hours ago
You can select these two layouts in the system settings on the top right of the project browser page (the one that Lightworks opens on).

The opening message does say where the menu is located. I've now added info about switching layouts if you're working on a project and want to change to the other layout.

Instructions on using the flexible layout are on P249 to P273 in the V14 User Guide found in downloads > documentation
Last Edit: 1 day, 9 hours ago by briandrys.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.36 seconds
Scroll To Top