Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: What does "mark and park" mean?

What does "mark and park" mean? 7 years ago #11631

An explanation of what is meant by the Lightworks terminology "mark and park".

Don't forget to select highest quality playback (720p) of the above YouTube video to get the sharpest image.

Know a different or simpler way of explaining this? Post a video tutorial of your own in this thread.
Desktop
Dell Inspiron 560MT. Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 Processor, 6 GB Dual Channel DDR3, Windows 7 64 bit SP1/Ubuntu Studio 14.04.2 duel boot. On-board graphics chip. Samsung SyncMaster S23B35OH LED monitor. EchoAudio Mia 24/96 soundcard.

Laptop
Dell Precision M6700, i7 3740QM CPU @2.70Ghz, NVidia Quadro K3000M, 8GB ram. Windows 7 64 bit SP1.

I am not employed by EditShare. I am a Lightworks user.
Last Edit: 6 years, 11 months ago by shaunthesheep.

Re: What does "mark and park" mean? 7 years ago #11635

• frandesouza
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 years ago
Hi Shaun, very well done!
Windows 7 Professional 64 bit - Service Pack 1
Intel Core i7 3770 3.4GHz - 16GB RAM DDR3
MoBo: Asus P8H77-M - Graphics: Geforce GT630 2GB DDR3
HDD: WD 500GB SATA II (system drive) + WD 1TB SATA II Black Edition (work drive)
LG M-Disc ready CD/DVD burner.
Audio: Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 & Behringer MS16 monitor speakers
Contour Design Shuttle Pro v2

Re: What does "mark and park" mean? 6 years, 11 months ago #12440

• grandkadolz
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 6 years, 11 months ago
Hi Shaunthesheep and everyoneat LWB!
This isjustwhatI was hoping for, well done!

Re: What does "mark and park" mean? 6 years, 10 months ago #13976

• shaunthesheep
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 years, 10 months ago

Video tutorial by ValentinFrankBeyer. Mar 19, 2011.

"Lightworks is very confusing the first time you open it, if you are used to FCP, Premiere or Avid. You should apprehend that Lightworks doesn't work like the others. Almost no drag n drop, no need for out points. Rather the methods it employs to a large extent are: mark and park and trimming."
Desktop
Dell Inspiron 560MT. Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 Processor, 6 GB Dual Channel DDR3, Windows 7 64 bit SP1/Ubuntu Studio 14.04.2 duel boot. On-board graphics chip. Samsung SyncMaster S23B35OH LED monitor. EchoAudio Mia 24/96 soundcard.

Laptop
Dell Precision M6700, i7 3740QM CPU @2.70Ghz, NVidia Quadro K3000M, 8GB ram. Windows 7 64 bit SP1.

I am not employed by EditShare. I am a Lightworks user.
Last Edit: 6 years, 10 months ago by shaunthesheep.

Re: What does "mark and park" mean? 6 years, 8 months ago #16153

• John Sprung
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 6 years, 8 months ago
Interesting, but why does it need both "In" and "Out" buttons? Could this be done with just one button called "Mark"? Move to a point, click "Mark", move to another point and do nothing. Whichever point is first on the time line becomes the "In", the other the "Out"?

-- J.S.

Re: What does "mark and park" mean? 6 years, 8 months ago #16154

• fangaz
  • Senior Boarder
  • 6 years, 8 months ago
as far as I know John, it does work exactly that way. someone correct me if I am wrong (don't want to give out misinformation) but if you are for instance at the end point of where you want to be positioned, if you click on the out button then move to where you want to begin you will notice that the in point is marked and you should see the white area on the timeline marking your selected area. I am a new user but this is what I have found on the forum and youtube when I was going through tutorials

this also works in the opposite order also
Last Edit: 6 years, 8 months ago by fangaz. Reason: added opposite annotation

Re: What does "mark and park" mean? 6 years, 8 months ago #16156

• rhinox202
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 years, 8 months ago
John
fangaz is exactly right. You can even set up a keyboard shortcut that allows you to jump back and forth between the two marks for fine tuning. It is in the key assignments panel under Swap.
Intel Core 2 Quad (Q6600) :: 4GB :: 256GB SSD :: 1TB HD :: EVGA Geforce GTX 1050 Ti :: Win 10 Pro (1709) :: Lwks 14.1 Beta
Last Edit: 5 years, 1 month ago by rhinox202.

Re: What does "mark and park" mean? 6 years, 8 months ago #16167

• John Sprung
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 6 years, 8 months ago
Well, no, actually. It has two buttons called "In" and "Out". Why couldn't it be done with just one button called "Mark"?

-- J.S.

Re: What does "mark and park" mean? 6 years, 8 months ago #16169

• rhinox202
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 years, 8 months ago
Because there are potentially times when you want to set an "Out" point. You could make an "L" or a "J" cut by adding an "In" and then setting an "Out" for only a couple of tracks and then moving the marker to be another "Out." You could set "In" and "Out" marks and then continue scrubbing through the clip. In the source viewer you can set different "In" and "Out" markers for the audio and video at the same time. Without the "Out" marker that would be impossible.

No doubt there are other ways and maybe some more "seasoned" Lightworks users can chime in on them. However, the fact remains that Lightworks is highly efficient and designed for the editor, and if there wasn't a reason for having an "Out" button, there wouldn't be one. Period!

What does it matter anyway? It's not taking up valuable space.
Intel Core 2 Quad (Q6600) :: 4GB :: 256GB SSD :: 1TB HD :: EVGA Geforce GTX 1050 Ti :: Win 10 Pro (1709) :: Lwks 14.1 Beta
Last Edit: 5 years, 1 month ago by rhinox202.

Re: What does "mark and park" mean? 6 years, 8 months ago #16171

• John Sprung
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 6 years, 8 months ago
Hmmm.... I'm still not seeing it. No matter how many tracks I have, wouldn't it be that the first mark on each track is an In, and the second an Out? L-cuts are generally done by grabbing the cut point on a track and rolling it, maintaining sync on both sides. What I'm looking for is a reason that the machine needs a human operator to tell it the difference between In and Out. Could it be that we've been doing it like this since CMX and Ediflex, and never gave it a thought?

-- J.S.

Re: What does "mark and park" mean? 6 years, 8 months ago #16174

• Jacob Miller
  • Junior Boarder
  • 6 years, 8 months ago
John Sprung wrote:
No matter how many tracks I have, wouldn't it be that the first mark on each track is an In, and the second an Out?

Yes, but the second mark (the out point) is the playhead. So if you wanted to mark a section and continue editing or scrubbing, your playhead would obviously move, changing the out point. By setting an out point, you can keep scrubbing or do other things with other clips and still save the marked section.

The In and Out buttons are basically both the same. It does not matter what order you click them in. For example, you could click Out, move to the right on the timeline, and click In, and LW will select the area between them. But you cannot click In, move the playhead, and click In again. It will move the previous mark to the playhead's position.

Jacob
Last Edit: 6 years, 8 months ago by Jacob Miller.

Re: What does "mark and park" mean? 6 years, 8 months ago #16183

• John Sprung
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 6 years, 8 months ago
OK, now that makes sense. When you have both marks in place, and you want to change your mind, you have to tell it which one you're changing.

Thanks --

-- J.S.

Re: What does "mark and park" mean? 6 years, 8 months ago #16194

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 6 years, 8 months ago
For what it's worth, Avid use in and out marks, but will also allow edits between the current position and an in or an out point. It's not that unusual.

Re: What does "mark and park" mean? 6 years, 8 months ago #16203

• LW_for_Feature
  • Gold Boarder
  • 6 years, 8 months ago
John Sprung wrote:
Well, no, actually. It has two buttons called "In" and "Out". Why couldn't it be done with just one button called "Mark"?
-- J.S.

It could and, it is!

See, the thing that the new people who have just come into Lightworks after it has gone "free" seem to miss, is that Lightworks was designed to work as a system. It was just till recently only sold as a high-end turnkey system, composed of software and hardware and for "mucho dinero".
The software side was designed to work in tight integration with the hardware side. Part of the hardware side is the famous Lightworks console. The program is designed to work with the hardware console because it came with the turnkey system, and if you have the console you wouldn't use the mouse for edititng. The console is much faster and more efficient. As far as I remember, older versions of the program didn't even have the set of control buttons under the timeline that the current version has, known as the GUI console. You didn't need it. The system came with a hardware console.

In the hardware console you only have one button. A Mark button, which marks either the IN or OUT points, depending on what you want, pretty much as you described. It has a Mark and an Unmark button. No IN and OUT buttons. That's how it's done with the console, which was designed to work with the Lightworks program and designed to work the way the Lightworks program works, hence just one mark button.

But since Lightworks has gone "free", Editshare is clearly trying to get the program to work more efficiently without the hardware console, and it seems like they are also trying to make Lightworks more familiar to people coming from other NLEs. This is probably why the GUI version of the console has IN and OUT buttons.
But I have to say that not having the hardware console, even with the addition of the GUI controls and other things, is like only having 70% of the program . Because you don't need to sit 5 minutes in front of Lightworks using a hardware console to see it was designed from the ground up to work with the console. And I highly recommend getting one to anybody doing professional work. It's still available from Editshare and the time it will save you and the efficiency it will buy you will pay for the console in no time.
But still, Editshare seems to be trying to get the best of both worlds and so far is doing a good job. People just have to be patient and understand that changes, specially that deep, are not just a matter of snapping fingers. It takes time, effort, resources and money.

Not saying is your particular case, but there are so many people who came to Lightworks attracted by the "free" aspect who seems to never have bothered in doing their homework about the application first. So they just come in here and complain and whine about the way Lightworks works, and that Lightworks is missing this and that, and why Lightworks is not like Premiere or FCP, and why can't they use Lightworks to edit, do FX, color grade and finish their youtube videos. If they had done their homework first they would know Lightworks is great at what it was designed to do, and if you use it as it was designed to be used.

P.S. Although I've known of Lightworks for years, I could never afford it. So I'm also one of the people who just recently moved into Lightworks.
But I've done my homework.
Last Edit: 6 years, 8 months ago by LW_for_Feature.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.41 seconds
Scroll To Top