Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: How can I re-wrap an AVCHD MTS file to MP4?

Re: How can I re-wrap an AVCHD MTS file to MP4? 7 years, 7 months ago #12367

• Gummi
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 7 years, 7 months ago
Erm, I was actually trying to reply to the discussion a bit earlier. And that smiley shouldn't be there...
The topic has been locked.

Re: How can I re-wrap an AVCHD MTS file to MP4? 7 years, 7 months ago #12376

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 7 years, 7 months ago
Then edit the post and remove the smiley.

[done ;) -SA]
Last Edit: 7 years, 7 months ago by Site Admin.

Re: How can I re-wrap an AVCHD MTS file to MP4? 7 years, 7 months ago #12396

• Gummi
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 7 years, 7 months ago
Thanks (Can you tell I'm new to this...?)

Re: How can I re-wrap an AVCHD MTS file to MP4? 7 years, 6 months ago #13676

HI!
I'm realy lacking sleep now and am new at video editing so the information Iv'e picked up is still not clear to me.

I finally figured out that I needed to change the bitrate to 256k - as another poster had discovered- and can play the resulting mp4 just fine, but lightworks won't see the file at all. I'm pretty sure I had installedd the matrox plugin-but its been a while since I ventured to try lightworks again, and I can't find the matrox plugin in the lightworks folder...Could anyone confirm where should it be?

Shaunthesheep, thnks for the ffmbc instructions; I see from your description that you also use Ubuntu Studio ( I am using 10.04 LTS). I haven't succeeded in finding the appropriate container to play in Cinelerra; either I get no sound or the playback is in SLOW MOTION, but tommorow I will go on the Cinelerra forum for that, I guess. Note: I also had converted to .mov files with ffmpeg in Ubuntu but Lightworks won't import the file giving "format unlicensed" error in video encoding column.

I have a Panasonic HDC-TM700 camera shooting in 1080p60p mode and am hoping to find the best conversion/container to edit with both these 2 NLE while still keeping my original material at this higher fps. I have an AMD system built with Phenom II x4 965 and 4G DDR3 memory- and using internal HDD drives only... I see my cores working hard just to play the files.

If I understand it correctly, I am converting to a proxy file, and once editing is done, I can reconvert back to something close to the original quality? Is a bitrate of 256k ok for the 60fps? Lastly does it matter how I get the files on my computer; either via the camera software thus m2ts or straight via USB as MTS?

Re: How can I re-wrap an AVCHD MTS file to MP4? 7 years, 6 months ago #13678

• shaunthesheep
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 years, 6 months ago
Ubuntu is on my old PC which is not capable of running Cinelerra. I have never used it.

To test Matrox, got to start > all programs > Matrox VFW and see if the Matrox codec configuration launches OK. If it does you are good to go.

Regarding Lightworks not seeing your mp4, sorry to ask such an obvious question but have you installed QuickTime player 7.6.6 or later which comes with the codecs required by Lightworks? If you have try re-installing both QuickTime, Matrox and then Lightworks.

I don't think it matters whether you get your MTS files via USB or via your camera.

Not sure what you mean when you say convert to a proxy file. If you mean transcoding to MPEG2 I-frame HD on import into Lightworks then, no, it is not a proxy it is a permanent transcode to a more playable format with little quality loss. See second tutorial in the first post in this thread.
Desktop
Dell Inspiron 560MT. Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 Processor, 6 GB Dual Channel DDR3, Windows 7 64 bit SP1/Ubuntu Studio 14.04.2 duel boot. On-board graphics chip. Samsung SyncMaster S23B35OH LED monitor. EchoAudio Mia 24/96 soundcard.

Laptop
Dell Precision M6700, i7 3740QM CPU @2.70Ghz, NVidia Quadro K3000M, 8GB ram. Windows 7 64 bit SP1.

I am not employed by EditShare. I am a Lightworks user.
Last Edit: 7 years, 6 months ago by shaunthesheep.

Re: How can I re-wrap an AVCHD MTS file to MP4? 7 years, 5 months ago #14147

• shaunthesheep
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 years, 5 months ago
FFMBC 0.6 final version has been released. But it needs compiling.

EDIT

I see from the FFMBC forum that someone has already compiled it for Windows 32 bit and Windows 64 bit.

Just tested the 32 bit and 64 bi versions re-wrapping MTS to mp4 and they both work OK.
Desktop
Dell Inspiron 560MT. Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 Processor, 6 GB Dual Channel DDR3, Windows 7 64 bit SP1/Ubuntu Studio 14.04.2 duel boot. On-board graphics chip. Samsung SyncMaster S23B35OH LED monitor. EchoAudio Mia 24/96 soundcard.

Laptop
Dell Precision M6700, i7 3740QM CPU @2.70Ghz, NVidia Quadro K3000M, 8GB ram. Windows 7 64 bit SP1.

I am not employed by EditShare. I am a Lightworks user.
Last Edit: 7 years, 5 months ago by shaunthesheep.
Time to create page: 0.29 seconds
Scroll To Top