Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 4 Questions I can't find the answer too. (New to program)

4 Questions I can't find the answer too. (New to program) 4 years, 3 months ago #114234

• Surtech5
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 4 years, 3 months ago
BACKGROUND:

Hello, my name is Joseph and I am new to Lightworks Pro... Very new. In high school I used Final Cut, and excelled at the program. Then after school was over I was downgraded to iMovie... and there is no excelling at iMovie; just surviving. And finally I had enough to purchase an editing software... As long as it was one of the cheaper ones. In the end it was down to Adobe Premiere Pro, and Lightworks Pro, and Lightworks won out due to Adobe's horrible customer service track record with me.

I watched the tutorials and followed along easily enough. However... Having spent only an hour and a half attempting to work on my first project, I've encountered several issues. And the worst part is that I'm sure these are fairly common problems for new comers, I just can't find the answers!

The problem with these questions, is that if I try to google any of them, or search for them on the forums, all I find are poorly related questions that have nothing to do with what I need help with. For Example:

QUESTIONS:

Q1: How do I make a previewer full screen?
Not how do I make the program full screen, or how do I send a full screen to a second monitor, or anything like that... But instead, just how can I view my edits, or any clip for that matter, as if it was ready to go straight to the internet...
Final Cut, Adobe Premiere, and even iMovie (for crying out loud), had this right next to the clip in question. Just a little icon of a smaller screen inside of a bigger screen. You click it. Then poof! The clip is full screen, allowing you to see what your future audience will be watching.
The best I have found here is just to drag the corner of the previewer to make it larger, which presents two problems. 1, I have all the distractions of the program and my task bar in plain view. And 2:

Q2: How do I send 'panels' backward and forward?
When dragging around, enlarging, shrinking, whatever, the different types of panels (clip viewer, edit viewer, bins, that sort of stuff), how do I tell the program which ones I want on the back, and which ones I want in the front. Because so far I have not found a way to do this, which has, and continues to cause numerous problems. Such as with the above question, when I want to drag a previewer to semi-full screen, and it want's to go behind all the other panels.

Q3: Can I move the 'Tools Panel' and the shark?
Cause those alone take up about a 13th of my screen, vertical wise. It's not a huge issue, but it sure is annoying that those two are always at the front, and block me from seeing and interacting with things behind them. Especially since one doesn't seem to serve a function, and the other could easily work like an OS Dock bar, and just pop out when the mouse pushes to the edge of the screen.
I even got excited when I saw the pin in it... Only to have my hopes crushed when the pin does nothing... Pinned, un Pinned, doesn't matter. It can't be re sized or moved either way.

Q4: Is there a (bin) Column for 'bins the clip is inside of'?
First thing I would want to do in a project is sort out my clips into bins. Ideally some would go into multiple bins. But do to the disorienting nature of being forced to enter the bin you put a clip in (If there's a way to stop that, please let me know), and then click back to the clips tab, I'm always afraid I missed one. And being able to check in what bins (if any), a clip is in just by a column (not having to scour each individual bin) would be a huge help.
Plus there's a column for everything else in the world, not sure why something like this wouldn't be included.

CLOSING:
I am very new to this program, and have been out of practice editing for a while. Any help you could give would be much appreciated.

Re: 4 Questions I can't find the answer too. (New to program) 4 years, 3 months ago #114237

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 4 years, 3 months ago
Surtech5 wrote:
Q1: How do I make a previewer full screen?

On a single screen setup the F12 key should still work. I don't have one available currently to test that, though, so you'll have to try that yourself.

Surtech5 wrote:
Q2: How do I send 'panels' backward and forward?

That can vary. Things like bins you can usually bring to the front by just clicking on them. Where that doesn't work select the item you want to bring to the top by clicking and holding down the right mouse button and tapping the left.

Surtech5 wrote:
Q3: Can I move the 'Tools Panel' and the shark?

Unpin the tools panel (the small icon beside the name "Tools") drag it to where you want it to be, then pin it again. To change Lucy's position open the preferences menu by clicking on the icon at the bottom of the tools panel. Right click and drag Lucy to where you want her to be then click on the "Set default position" button. You'll have to be fast, because she'll start to swim home quite quickly.

Surtech5 wrote:
Q4: Is there a (bin) Column for 'bins the clip is inside of'?
No.

[EDIT] - but see rhinox202's post below. That will get you the information that you need.
Last Edit: 4 years, 3 months ago by jwrl.

Re: 4 Questions I can't find the answer too. (New to program) 4 years, 3 months ago #114238

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 4 years, 3 months ago
Follow on from the above: It sounds to me as if you want to make Lightworks as similar as possible to your last editor. Don't. When handled the way that it was designed to be used Lightworks is one of the fastest NLEs out there. But if you try and force it to be something else you risk making it one of the slowest and most frustrating.

Even though you are a very competent editor, any first-time user needs to go to the Lightworks Video Tutorials and check them out. There are very good user tutorials in the Video Tutorials & FAQ forum. In the Lightworks unofficial wiki you'll also find a lot of useful information. Don't worry that some of the tutorial information relates to earlier versions - not a lot has changed.

Approach Lightworks with an open mind. Spend the small amount of time necessary to really learn it and you will see why most Lightworks users wouldn't trade it for any other editor.

The old-timers (like me) usually have one major advantage that new users often don't - the Lightworks console. I'm not suggesting that you should immediately rush out and buy one - they're definitely not cheap! However the ShuttlePRO can be customised to provide about 90% of the functionality of the console. If you have one check out the Console (LWMouCon) forum for ideas. In fact even if you have another type of controller altogether you may still get ideas in that forum.

Finally, research the concept of mark and park editing as opposed to drag and drop. It's the way that Lightworks was originally designed to work.

Re: 4 Questions I can't find the answer too. (New to program) 4 years, 3 months ago #114239

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 years, 3 months ago
RT*M.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 10 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2
Last Edit: 4 years, 3 months ago by donkpow.

Re: 4 Questions I can't find the answer too. (New to program) 4 years, 3 months ago #114240

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 4 years, 3 months ago
And one final thing, Joseph, which I should have put before everything else: welcome to the forums.

Re: 4 Questions I can't find the answer too. (New to program) 4 years, 3 months ago #114241

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 years, 3 months ago

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 10 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: 4 Questions I can't find the answer too. (New to program) 4 years, 3 months ago #114242

• rhinox202
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 years, 3 months ago
Surtech5 wrote:
Q3: moving the shark

You can also easily hide the shark by renaming "shark.png" in the Icons folder of the Lightworks install directory to "shark_BK.png". However, others would say, it does have a purpose.

Q4: being able to check in what bins (if any), a clip is in ... would be a huge help.

Though it's not exactly what you want, if you open a clip in a Source (blue) viewer and then right-click on it, you'll see a "Find bins" menu item. Clicking this menu item will highlight (in the Content Manager) all of the Bins that this clip is in. "Find bins" is also available if you right-click on a clip in the timeline of a Record (red) viewer.
Intel Core 2 Quad (Q6600) :: 4GB :: 256GB SSD :: 1TB HD :: EVGA Geforce GTX 1050 Ti :: Win 10 Pro (1709) :: Lwks 14.1 Beta

Re: 4 Questions I can't find the answer too. (New to program) 4 years, 3 months ago #114243

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 4 years, 3 months ago
In addition to rhinox202's advice the bin(s) in witch the clips is to be found are highlighted -placing the cursor over a oe of those and right clicking bring up a drop-down which includes Make/Group that makes a new object called A Group - that object can be dragged onto the interface screen.

You haven't asked - but when wishing to place clips into bins - that can be done even if the bin is on-screen but closed/minimised - Just drag the clip, or any other tile, to overlap the minimised bin and while still holding the left mouse button - tap the right.The same method can be used to put an on-screen minimised bin into a minimised group - quite useful if you are pressed for screen space.
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: 4 Questions I can't find the answer too. (New to program) 4 years, 3 months ago #114244

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 4 years, 3 months ago
RWAV wrote:
in witch the clips

Damn that autocorrect!!!

As well as dragging a clip over a closed bin and dropping it, you can also drag it to the bin name at the left side of the content manager and drop it. That works too.

Re: 4 Questions I can't find the answer too. (New to program) 4 years, 3 months ago #114253

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 4 years, 3 months ago
Damn my increasingly overconfident therefore inaccurate hunt-and-peck keyboard style - if 'style' is the right word??
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: 4 Questions I can't find the answer too. (New to program) 4 years, 3 months ago #114301

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 years, 3 months ago
rhinox202 wrote:
You can also easily hide the shark by renaming "shark.png" in the Icons folder of the Lightworks install directory to "shark_BK.png". However, others would say, it does have a purpose.

Thanks for the tip...
... Or replace the file? ...
Experimented:
shark transparent:

Baby shark:

rhinox202 wrote:
However, others would say, it does have a purpose.

12.6 User Guide on page 21
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Software: Lightworks 2020.1; || Windows 10, 64 Bit
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || shared RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)
Last Edit: 4 years, 3 months ago by schrauber.

Re: 4 Questions I can't find the answer too. (New to program) 4 years, 3 months ago #114310

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 years, 3 months ago
schrauber wrote:
Baby shark:

(My shark is gray, because I have only LWKS Free)

Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || shared RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)
Last Edit: 4 years, 3 months ago by schrauber.

Re: 4 Questions I can't find the answer too. (New to program) 4 years, 3 months ago #114316

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 years, 3 months ago
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 10 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: 4 Questions I can't find the answer too. (New to program) 4 years, 3 months ago #114326

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 4 years, 3 months ago
Personally, I don't understand why people feel the need to get rid of Lucy. I've never seen any one asking how to remove the playout icon because they don't need to play an edit out to tape, for example.

Re: 4 Questions I can't find the answer too. (New to program) 4 years, 2 months ago #114344

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 years, 2 months ago
jwrl wrote:
... I've never seen any one asking how to remove the playout icon because they don't need to play an edit out to tape, for example.

The toolbar I will hide / minimize automatically when I do not need them.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.50 seconds
Scroll To Top