Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Getting a Mk I serial console to work on Windows

Getting a Mk I serial console to work on Windows 3 years, 11 months ago #84881

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 3 years, 11 months ago
Some time back there were a series of discussions about getting a Lightworks mark I console to work on late versions of Windows computers without a working serial port. This description is for people who feel comfortable using a soldering iron, or who know someone who can do it for them.

Before you start you'll need to obtain an FTDI USB-RS232-WE-1800-BT_5.0 bare - end cable and a D15 female connector. The D15 connector can be sourced at any electronic components outlet, but I got my FTDI cable from RS Components. You will also need a 12 volt plug pack with a current handling capacity of .5 amps or better.

Solder the D15 connector on to the bare wires from the adaptor, in the following configuration.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

In my case I had previously added a 12 v connector to the back of my mark I console, so I ended up using that instead of the power lead to the D-15 connector.

I then booted up my Windows system, plugged in the brand new USB to D-15 cable and installed the drivers I had previously downloaded from the FTDI website. I booted up LW 11.5.2.D 64 bit, and - nada.

So I then went to the RTCS website and downloaded the Lightworks initialising utility. Booted that up, entered the incredibly long and extremely unforgiving protection string, and it found my console. It couldn't find the RAM image that the console needed though. Not surprising - I hadn't installed it.

The old standalone console installer that I had wouldn't install on Windows!!! Damn! So I manually unpacked lwmoucon.ram, lwmoucon.sys (64 bit version), and vipcons.ram with WinZip and placed them in the Windows\System32\drivers folder. Booted up the RTCS utility again, entered the incredibly long and extremely unforgiving protection string again, and it found my console and downloaded lwmoucon.ram to it. The stop tally didn't come on, which it's supposed to, to indicate success.

OK. Maybe I need to boot up Lightworks. Tried that. Nope. Damn, damn, damn! Time to shut the computer down and think about things. Wait! As the computer shut down the console started up! It's on its own power supply, so maybe it will survive a reboot.

So I booted up again. This time I didn't try the RTCS startup utility, just launched Lightworks. And the console was alive. It has subsequently survived several complete system restarts, and been booted up with everything from 11.5.2.D to 14.5 32 and 64 bit versions.

As long as the console is kept powered up, using the RTCS utility is unnecessary. Breaking the power to the console will always require the utility to be run, though. The only thing that seems to be required for RTCS to make my mark 1 console work is the lwmoucon.ram file inside Windows\Sytem32\drivers.

I subsequently found that it was unnecessary to reboot the computer after running the RTCS startup utility. Simply launching Lightworks will start the console. I don't know why it didn't that very first time - it's never failed to since.
Last Edit: 3 weeks, 2 days ago by jwrl.

Re: Getting a Mk I serial console to work on Windows 3 years, 11 months ago #84883

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 3 years, 11 months ago
Anyone want to buy a series 1 Console (just kidding). Ran into Matthew Tucker the other day - he probably has some.
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: Getting a Mk I serial console to work on Windows 3 years, 11 months ago #84898

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 3 years, 11 months ago
Personally, I'm amazed that after 24 years the console still works at all. There isn't a lot of computer gear out there that you can say that about.

Also, thanks for the suggestion to try the FTDI adapter in the thread I lifted this from. I'd tried other adapters and plug in cards to try and solve the issue and couldn't.

(I'd be surprised if Matthew didn't have some in a box somewhere. I know that David Pulbrook has some too, but he wouldn't sell them when last I asked.)

Re: Getting a Mk I serial console to work on Windows 2 years, 10 months ago #106224

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 years, 10 months ago
Just a little additional info: I originally referred to getting the console going with W8.1 in the post above. Subsequently I've run it reliably on W7 and W10 systems.

I also tried bleeding the 12 volts off my PC's power supply using a back panel 4 pin power connector like those used on older hard drives. That works too, and if you're prepared to void any warranties that may apply to your PC might be worth doing. In my case I had a hefty 12V 2A supply lying around. That's what I currently use.
Last Edit: 3 weeks, 2 days ago by jwrl.

Re: Getting a Mk I serial console to work on Windows 2 years, 3 months ago #119517

• Scroller
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 years, 3 months ago
I am trying to get one of my Mk 1 consoles up and running.I have reached the point where my console is recognised by the rtcs software but cannot find the .ram file. I only have Windows 7 64 installed. Where do I 'unpack' the missing lwmoucon.ram files and how do I install them? As simply as possible please.

Re: Getting a Mk I serial console to work on Windows 2 years, 3 months ago #119530

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 years, 3 months ago
I've zipped what I have and attached it below. The contents of this zip will only work on Windows though, because that's what I have.
This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Getting a Mk I serial console to work on Windows 1 year, 11 months ago #129513

• acmesafe
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 year, 11 months ago
Hi all,

Just as a follow up, I finally gave up dealing with serial/USB adaptors and finally got an mk 1 to work on a Mac system by essentially turning it into a midi controller. I bypassed the electronics of the console and hooked the wires from the switches directly into a small arduino controller (www.pjrc.com/teensy/), which the computer sees as a midi controller.

The code, adapted code I found on arduino sites, basically sends a midi note for each key on the console, and then an awesome bit of software called midistroke translates the midi value into a keystroke. Then it was just a matter of assigning the keys to the correct keyboard shortcuts.

So far it seems to work really well. If anyone is interested I can post more details and the code. The caveat is a 25 year old console needs delicate handling when disassembled. I had to glue together a couple of plastic joins that had cracked.

I'm also looking for a nonworking mk2 or mk3 to try out in a similar manner. If anyone has one around...

Re: Getting a Mk I serial console to work on Windows 1 year, 11 months ago #129515

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 year, 11 months ago
How does the most important part of the controller, the shuttle work?

Re: Getting a Mk I serial console to work on Windows 1 year, 11 months ago #129754

• acmesafe
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 year, 11 months ago
Seems to work well. I haven't finessed the code on it, but with Lightworks its pretty straightforward. The shuttle is a potentiometer. Every point as it turns is a specific value. In midi stroke I matched each pot number with a keyboard shortcut for a playback speed. 100%, 200% etc. In lightworks, the keyboard shortcuts for each speed are specific, ")" is 200% forward for example. (see attached screen grab) As opposed to most other NLE's where 100% is "l", 200% is "l" + "l", etc., which makes it almost impossible to program.

I can post a more detailed description later, but that is the gist. The tricky bit is that as designed, I don't think the speed curve is linear. So its a matter of experimenting to find the right curve for a smooth ramp from slow to fast.
I've been away from my office for a bit, but I'm going to start using it for an actual edit session next week. I'll post again after I really put it through its paces.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Getting a Mk I serial console to work on Windows 1 year, 11 months ago #129755

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 year, 11 months ago
It might be a better idea to start a new thread on this. It's hardly about getting a Mk I controller to work, it's about converting it to a keyboard emulator.

As I understand it, you're discarding the original electronics altogether and replacing it with your own. In that case the controller has then just become a case for your controller. In the same way as the Shuttle pro and X-Keys systems have been configured to work with Lightworks, this is another third-party controller project.
Last Edit: 8 months, 3 weeks ago by jwrl.

Re: Getting a Mk I serial console to work on Windows 1 year, 11 months ago #129803

• acmesafe
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 year, 11 months ago
In essence, your right. The primary difference that I see is that the ergonomics of the lightworks console are second to none. Having picked up a contour shuttle to try out, it is a far cry from the console. In addition to layout, the keys themselves on the lightworks console are very sensitive and very precise. This isn't just a matter of "feel", but directly effects functionality in the sense of just being able to edit without constantly thinking about the interface.

I spent a while trying to get the mk 1 going on a PC and mac, simply couldn't get them to function properly. It's also possible that a portion of the circuitry in the console had failed in someway. This seems unlikely, but possible.

At some point I'll start another thread, after I get the programming of the shuttle dialed in. I wouldn't say that what I did is a perfect substitute for a fully functioning console, but the functionality of the keys is identical. It just seemed like a good way to make use of the mark 1 and mark 2 consoles.

Re: Getting a Mk I serial console to work on Windows 1 year, 11 months ago #129804

• acmesafe
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 year, 11 months ago
Hey jwrl,

realized I meant to post this on a different thread:

MIDI controller as console.

Re: Getting a Mk I serial console to work on Windows 1 year, 11 months ago #129820

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 year, 11 months ago
acmesafe wrote:
I spent a while trying to get the mk 1 going on a PC and mac, simply couldn't get them to function properly.

Well I can't speak for the Mac because I haven't tried it. However the technique that I used above did work on Windows, and still does work. It requires little from the user apart from a comparatively simple cable wiring job and verifying that the RAM image for the controller firmware is in the right place. I'll look forward to your complete explanation of the steps that you took as you add to the new thread.
Last Edit: 1 year, 11 months ago by jwrl.

Re: Getting a Mk I serial console to work on Windows 11 months, 3 weeks ago #162659

• Dpinky52
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 11 months, 3 weeks ago
I have a MkII console and want to use it on a Mac with LW v14. The console has a serial connector and a 12v connector for power. I had heard that I might be able to use a serial to USB cable if pinned out properly. Have you tried this?

Re: Getting a Mk I serial console to work on Windows 11 months, 3 weeks ago #162728

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 11 months, 3 weeks ago
Have you read through the post that started this? It's really about getting an RS-232 based console to work on Lightworks. I haven't done it with a Mac, and I don't know what would be involved with doing that.

I don't know how much help Editshare can be, because they didn't have any serial consoles when I dealt with them at the start of this project. It would still be worth your while talking to them though.
Last Edit: 11 months, 3 weeks ago by jwrl.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.38 seconds
Scroll To Top