Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: The Console

Re: The Console 5 years, 5 months ago #88008

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 5 years, 5 months ago
No it doesn't. it used to be to activate the jog function in early VIP systems - not required to deactivate - now it's pretty well redundant the jog function is enabled by LW sensing movement of the wheel.
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: The Console 5 years, 5 months ago #88050

• hernanzoi
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 5 years, 5 months ago
You're right. I think that this key is pretty useless nowadays.

Perhaps it could be reconfigured to "Toggle select all tracks" for instance. Or convert it to "User 9/10" key

Re: The Console 5 years, 5 months ago #88228

• ArteD
    Pro User
  • 5 years, 5 months ago
hernanzoi wrote:

Perhaps it could be reconfigured to "Toggle select all tracks" for instance. Or convert it to "User 9/10" key

This is a great suggestion! Making it a "User 9/10" key.

Can you make it happen Matt?
I'm not employed by or officially represent Editshare or Lightworks. I'm just a Lightworks user.

Re: The Console 4 years, 10 months ago #101329

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 4 years, 10 months ago

Re: The Console 4 years, 10 months ago #101361

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 4 years, 10 months ago
They are very good, but in my view more an atlas of what each button does than a how to use tutorial.
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: The Console 2 years, 4 months ago #173210

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 2 years, 4 months ago
This is a review of Lightworks, but it becomes more an introductory overview that includes the use of the console.

www.streamingmedia.com/Producer/Articles/ReadArticle.aspx?ArticleID=119022&PageNum=1

Re: The Console 2 years, 4 months ago #173268

• THEpostWORKS
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 2 years, 4 months ago
As a former film editor I purchased Lightworks because of the console. Way back then I had limited computer experience and I used the Mk1 version on my Lightworks and Heavyworks systems for years. From 1993 -2003 from memory when I purchased Lwks Touch which came with a Mk2. I have been using a Mk2 console ever since. And yes I controlled many a VTR when digitising thousands of hours of tape footage, both manually and from a logging database. I use the console with the fingers of the left hand controlling the play/edit functions on the console with my right hand on the mouse. I have the User Keys set up as: 1 for display fx 2 for dissolves 3 for toggle all tracks and 4 swap tracks. The only other key I use is User 7 for removing redundant cuts (simplify in the old Lwks language.) I have tried using a keyboard but there is no comparison between the functionality of the keyboard compared to the console. The keyboard comes a long way second. To my mind Lightworks without the console is just not Lightworks. I recommend all who can afford one to get on board and use Lightworks with a console the way the NLE was devised to be used when back in the early 90s 3 former English film editors, luminaries really, banded together to get the system hardware and software set up and out into the market place.

Re: The Console 2 years, 4 months ago #173269

• THEpostWORKS
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 2 years, 4 months ago
I'm still using a serial console with a different pin configuration on the cable to make it work.
User 1 FX panel
User 2 Dissolve
User 3 Toggle All Tracks
User 4 Swap Tracks
User 7 Remove redundant cuts
Don't use any others too far for my little fingers to stretch.
Last Edit: 2 years, 4 months ago by THEpostWORKS. Reason: spelling

Re: The Console 2 years, 4 months ago #173274

• Craig Marshall
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years, 4 months ago
THEpostWORKS wrote:
... To my mind Lightworks without the console is just not Lightworks...

I'm sure you are 100% correct here and many who have never used a Console simply don't 'get' Lightworks. Fortunately, the recent review referred to in this thread actually used one. To be fair, I've never used one but I do have a X-Keys 68 Jog/Shuttle configured to run both Lightworks and Resolve with the.exact same transport control mapping. For the money, it is a good solution. Not as ergonomic as the Console I'm sure but somewhat more powerful in certain areas, given it can map 'mouse clicks' to specific back-lit buttons.
Custom Haswell z87 i7 3.9Ghz 4770
System SSD, 16TB Internal RAID 0, Cache SSD
16GB DDR3, Thunderbolt, Nvidia GTX 970 G1 Maxwell GPU
Lightworks Pro with DNxHD license
Resolve 15 with OxygenTec ProPanel
X-Keys Pro 68 key USB Jog/Shuttle controller
2 x 24" HD GUI, 24" 10bit Rec.709 IPS Monitor
12G Decklink 4K SDI Pro>HD-Link Pro>Display Port
Sony 55" X9005B 4K Client Monitor
Sony Super 35 HD camera with Atomos ProRes Recorder
4x4" matte box/follow focus. Zeiss 'Contax' FF primes with Metabones 'Speed Booster'
Rode NTG-3/I-Rig XLR Phantom preamp
HDvideo4K.com

Re: The Console 2 years, 3 months ago #174888

• ArteD
    Pro User
  • 2 years, 3 months ago
THEpostWORKS wrote:
To my mind Lightworks without the console is just not Lightworks.

Absolutely! In many ways the Console is Lightworks.

Nice write up by the way. Thanks for reporting. Cheers!
I'm not employed by or officially represent Editshare or Lightworks. I'm just a Lightworks user.
Last Edit: 2 years, 3 months ago by ArteD.

Re: The Console 2 years, 3 months ago #175255

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 2 years, 3 months ago
Since the video tutorial on the Console seems to have gone AWOL from the website, this may be a good location.

Re: The Console 2 years, 3 months ago #175335

• ArteD
    Pro User
  • 2 years, 3 months ago
briandrys wrote:
Since the video tutorial on the Console seems to have gone AWOL from the website, this may be a good location.

Yes. Great place to put it for sure. Thanks.

I didn't realize it had been removed from the website. Strange. I hope this is not some type of writing on the wall.

Lightworks without the Console will lose pretty much every single Hollywood editor who's been holding on since the 80's and any new ones. The Shuttle Pro just doesn't cut it in my view. It's a nice step up from keyboard and mouse. But the Console is light-years above.

The Hollywood editors hanging on to it is what gives Lightworks the most "legitimacy" in the eyes of outsiders and newcomers, as does the Console with its legendary best in the business reputation. Lightworks doesn't want to lose that. It actually can't afford to lose that.

Really strange, especially that the video is still hosted at the Editshare channel. Can anybody from Lightworks comment why the video has been removed from the website?

Hopefully is just because they have decided to update it to be a more in depth look at the use of the Console.

Re: The Console 2 years, 3 months ago #175484

• ArteD
    Pro User
  • 2 years, 3 months ago
I have cleaned up this thread as it steered off track. The off topics discussions have been broken off into their own topics.

The intention of this topic is to have a thread where Console users can share their experiences, layouts and other things related to the Console (MKI and MKII) as well as information about the Console and its use.

But the thread had steered off track a few times now. As it was, people had to go through pages of off topic banter to distill any real information about the Console.

So I would like to ask to please keep it on topic. We have a whole forum for the Console. This thread is not it.

Re: The Console 2 years, 3 months ago #175758

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 2 years, 3 months ago
Having a look around, I've discovered that the Console videos are now in the shop, so you have to be considering purchasing it and then click on the (easy missed) further information link at the bottom of the Console page in the shop.

www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_shop&view=static&task=interactiveConsole&clip=overview-console
Last Edit: 2 years, 3 months ago by briandrys.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.42 seconds
Scroll To Top