Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: The Console

The Console 6 years, 8 months ago #67729

• ArteD
    Pro User
  • 6 years, 8 months ago
Lightworks MKII Console:
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Lightworks MKI Console:This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Hi everybody!

The Console is such a huge part of Lightworks. It's basically the heart of the system and yet there seems to be so little real info about it floating around.

So I thought I would start a thread where Console users could share what model Console they use, their experiences, workflows, tips and other details concerning how they use the Console, while trying to give a deeper insight about the Console itself for users who never used one.

I have a MKII Console which I use in combination with a game pad. The game pad basically replaces my keyboard during editing, which is only used when I need to do normal OS operations or to enter text. This combination allows me to work even faster than with the Console and keyboard. I rarely need the mouse.

Besides your normal J,K,L playback functions, with the Console you can also step frame and nudge through your footage, navigate between clips in your bin, add clips from the bin to viewers, switch between viewer and timeline, insert, replace, "backtime" replace, mark and park your footage, "unmark", add and remove cue points, access the cue panel, navigate your timeline and jump from cut points to cut points, move clips in the timeline and execute every trim operation available within Lightworks. All without ever taking your hands off the Console or your eyes off the screen.

Apart from the built-in functions, you also have 8 customizable user keys which you can assign any function to, including macros.

My custom keys are set in the the following manner:

1. Replace from playhead
  2. Trim head
  3. Insert from clipboard
  4. Preview cut point
  5. Replace from clipboard
  6. Trim tail
  7. Fit to fill
  8. Copy marked section

On top of all that you have the most important and fun part of the Console and the one feature which sets it apart from every other editing controller currently in production or attempted in the past*. The Jog and Shuttle system.

With the jog wheel you can easily and smoothly step frame by frame, scrub for audio to get real analog scrub and minutely go through your footage.

The shuttle pads or levers are a precise way to grab and pull your footage. This is literally how it feels. Like you were grabbing a film strip and pulling through your viewer. It's that precise and responsive. It has presets for play forward, play backward and allows fast-forward and fast-rewind in sensitively increased speeds keeping sound sync up to 6x the normal playback speed. The levers are set up to allow both right and left hand operation so the Console can be used with either hand.

And although I have never had the need in this mainly tapeless world, you can control a VTR with the Console as well. I know it's easy to think tape is fully gone but there are a lot of TV stations and other business still using tape in some form.

Because you never need to take your eyes off the screen when using the Console and have all the functions you need within finger reach, editing with the Console is not only fast, efficient and productive, but also fun. The ergonomics of it, the way it's laid out, the round fitting shape and the sizes of the keys feel just right and makes for a very relaxed and comfortable experience.

All together the Console totally changes the Lightworks experience.

How many of you are using one of the Lightworks Consoles? Which version? How do you have your custom keys set up? Share your experiences.

Cheers!

P.S. Let's please keep this thread focused on the Lightworks Console. Do not post about other controllers.

*I have obviously not used every other controller ever made. I have used a few of the current ones and a couple of past models. But I wrote what I wrote also based on reports by well known editors who have used other controllers in the past and mentioned that they just weren't as good as the Lightworks Console.
I'm not employed by or officially represent LWKS Software Ltd or Lightworks. I'm just a Lightworks user.
Last Edit: 2 years, 7 months ago by ArteD.

Re: The Console 6 years, 8 months ago #67730

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 6 years, 8 months ago
UPDATE - Here is the lightworks video tutorial on the console:

This unofficial video about the MK1 might also help:

Last Edit: 2 months ago by briandrys.

Re: The Console 6 years, 7 months ago #68081

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 6 years, 7 months ago
A video of the console from 2002.

Re: The Console 6 years, 7 months ago #69128

• walter51
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 6 years, 7 months ago
Hi ArteD,

yes I work with the Lightworks Console (USB), for Me Lightworks is the Console and the ease way to handle the software.
I tried to get My old Serial Console to work on a second computer, without success.

Love working with LWS!

Cheers

Walter

Re: The Console 6 years, 7 months ago #69132

• ArteD
    Pro User
  • 6 years, 7 months ago
briandrys wrote:
This unofficial video about the MK1 might help people visualize:

briandrys wrote:
A video of the console from 2002.

Thanks for posting the videos Brian. Easier to find them that way.
I'm not employed by or officially represent LWKS Software Ltd or Lightworks. I'm just a Lightworks user.

Re: The Console 6 years, 7 months ago #69133

• ArteD
    Pro User
  • 6 years, 7 months ago
walter51 wrote:
Hi ArteD,

yes I work with the Lightworks Console (USB), for Me Lightworks is the Console and the ease way to handle the software.
I tried to get My old Serial Console to work on a second computer, without success.

Love working with LWS!

Cheers

Walter

Hi Walter,

Yes the Console is indispensable in my view too. Without it it's like driving a car without a steering wheel isn't it?

What do you have mapped to your custom user keys by the way?

Re: The Console 6 years, 7 months ago #69136

• walter51
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 6 years, 7 months ago
Hi ArteD,

the assigments on My Console are:

User 1 Video analysis
User 2 Audio crossfade
User 3 Emty cut
User 4 Add video transition

Re: The Console 6 years, 7 months ago #69168

• ArteD
    Pro User
  • 6 years, 7 months ago
Thanks Walter.

It's always interesting to know how others use the Console. No use for the other four keys?

By the way, you need not to map Empty Cut to an user key. This function is already executed by the Delete key on the Console. Park on a clip (without marking it) and hit Delete and it will split the clip at the playhead position, which is what Empty Cut does.
Last Edit: 6 years, 7 months ago by ArteD.

Re: The Console 6 years, 7 months ago #69216

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 6 years, 7 months ago
To add a little practical user perspective, here's an example from the real world. I was quite coincidentally involved in the implementation of NLE editing on two popular five-nights-a-week soap operas in the early '90s.

One was a Lightworks install, the other was an Avid Media Composer install. Both were optimal systems. Both series were shot the same way - single camera location, multi-camera direct switched studio. Both had roughly the same amount of location footage, and both drew on the same pool of freelance directors.

From end of shoot to finished episodes of the Avid-based series took four days, excluding digitise times. From end of shoot to finished episodes took one and a half days with the the Lightworks-based series, again, excluding digitise times.

Let me repeat that: the Lightworks cut took three-eighths of the time that the Avid process did. There were two reasons. One was the comparative simplicity of the LW interface compared to the Avid UI, especially as regards trimming. But the major aid was the Lightworks console.

The speed that the console gives Lightworks cannot be overstated. The bulk of the edit takes place between the dedicated console and the mouse/trackball. You don't take your eyes off the screen. While third-party console implementations may come close, none give the smooth shuttle/jog capabilities that the LW console does.

At the moment I'm without my console. That state of affairs will soon change, and it can't be soon enough for me.

Re: The Console 6 years, 7 months ago #69247

• conleec
  • Expert Boarder
  • 6 years, 7 months ago
Well, I'm an Avid editor who's now dabbling with LW on the side. I bought a console a year ago during one of their 50% off sales. I haven't had a chance to use it as much as I'd like as my primary workstation is a Mac Pro and I'm basically waiting for the Mac version to go public. I'll update when I get a chance to use it more.

Chris Conlee
www.ChrisConlee.com
www.imdb.com/name/nm0174749
MacPro (Early 2009 Nehalem, Dual 2.66 Quad Core)
OS X 10.8.3 (Win 7 Pro 64 bit under Bootcamp)
24Gb Ram
GTX 285 GPU

Re: The Console 6 years, 5 months ago #71840

• David Rasberry
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 years, 5 months ago
My early career was mostly shooting 16mm film for video production. Loved cutting film on a Moviola or Steenbeck. Hated linear video tape editing.

You guys have me craving a console really bad now!

Unfortunately it is definitely not in the budget.
Razz

Digital Bolex 2k Cinema DNG raw camera
Canon GL2 DV camcorder
iPAD Mini 3 Iographer rig

Workstation: Intel i7-4770k, Asrock Z87 Thunderbolt 2 MB, 16GB 1866 DDR3 ram,
2TB Seagate Hybrid system drive, 2TB Seagate NAS media drive, E-sata III hot swap drive bay, Nvidia GTX760 2GB GPU
Lightworks kybrd. Shuttlepro v2
Win10 Pro 64bit, Lightworks 14.0 64bit

Mobile Workstation: MSI GTX72 Dominator
Intel i7-6700HQ 2.7GHz Win10 64bit
16GB DDR4 ram, 500GB M.2 SSD
Nvidia GTX970 3GB GPU
USB3, USB3.1-C, Thunderbolt 3 ports
Shuttlepro2 Win10 64bit LW 14.0 64 bit

Re: The Console 6 years, 5 months ago #71850

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 6 years, 5 months ago
the assigments on My Console are: User 1 Video analysis User 2 Audio crossfade User 3 Empty cut User 4 Add video transition

Only using 4 of the 8?
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: The Console 6 years, 5 months ago #71921

• ArteD
    Pro User
  • 6 years, 5 months ago
Hi Everybody!

This thread was straying off topic. I had specifically asked to keep it clean and on point. The thread was meant for users to post their experiences with the Console. Not to discuss the Console in general. For that we already have the Console sub-forum. Doing it here is unproductive and just clutter things. So I have done some cleaning up. I moved posts that strayed off topic into their own threads. Topics that have been discussed to death such as the cost of the Console have been deleted.

Do not take it personally or be offended if your post has been moved or deleted. But I did specifically ask to keep it on topic :

ArteD wrote:

So I thought I would start a thread where Console users could share what model Console they use, their experiences, workflows, tips and other details concerning how they use the Console, while trying to give a deeper insight about the Console itself for users who never used one.
Last Edit: 6 years, 5 months ago by ArteD.

Re: The Console 5 years, 9 months ago #87972

• hernanzoi
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 5 years, 9 months ago
I used to work many years ago with the old Mk I console. Today I'm working with the new one.

For me, the best improvements are the jog wheel, the double lever, to use it with the left hand, and the User keys, although I haven't decided how to configure them all.

The worse are the trimming keys too close to the "jump ahead". Many times I press the trimming key accidentally.

Anyway, editing with the LWKS console is a unique experience.

By the way. Does anybody know what is the function of the rounded key over the "play"?
Attachments:
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: The Console 5 years, 9 months ago #87978

• walter51
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 5 years, 9 months ago
The key switches the Jog wheel on and off.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.48 seconds
Scroll To Top