Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Alternative to Console, a different approach

Re: Alternative to Console, a different approach 9 years, 3 months ago #9520

• Greg_E
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 9 years, 3 months ago
Circuit boards arrived, I need to order a couple more components, and need to finish machining the main panel. Should have one working by the end of next week (unless my mill breaks).
The topic has been locked.

Re: Alternative to Console, a different approach 9 years, 3 months ago #9620

• daylife
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 9 years, 3 months ago
This project is looking very interesting. I'm curious to see how it works out.

From what I see in the picture on the previous page, I miss the 'next cut' and 'previous cut' buttons. Is the switch/swap button meant to switch source/record monitors? The play button should be huge
Last Edit: 9 years, 3 months ago by daylife.

Re: Alternative to Console, a different approach 9 years, 3 months ago #9626

• Greg_E
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 9 years, 3 months ago
Yes switch changes source to record and back, swap moves tracks. They are both kind of orphaned functions that don't really have an inverse so they got stuck together in my layout. The next and previous cut/cue/etc. buttons are just above the play forward and play reverse. I tried to group similar functions together, moving the playhead all on the left, basic edits on the right, trim upper center, etc. All that stuff may get changed around as I use it and decide that certain things will want to be moved.

And all the buttons are programmable so it can be customized by each user, the hard part will be generating the labels and sticking them into the keycaps. I recently found out that there is a Mac programming interface and Linux programming interface too, not sure if the ShuttleXpress has a Linux utility/driver but it definitely has a Mac driver

I have big plans for version 2, but that will be way down the road (probably more than a year). I'm finding a need for a good CNC control panel and should be able to work up a design to fit CNC machining and change to a different control panel for NLE/DAW, the biggest change would be programming the functions on the control panel so that there is no software requirement, it would just be a keyboard or other standard HID device

Re: Alternative to Console, a different approach 9 years, 3 months ago #9633

• zikade
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 9 years, 3 months ago
And I thought the ShuttlePro was a Mac-only product until I found your post, so I grabbed a ShuttlePro and will try it next month...
There are three kinds of people - those who can count and those who can't...

Re: Alternative to Console, a different approach 9 years, 3 months ago #10118

• DVCINLV2005
  • Senior Boarder
  • 9 years, 3 months ago
where can i find a pix of the LW console?

Why hasn't somebody simply made plug-in that opens a small window with a pix of the original console with mouse hot-spots on the "buttons."

FCP has already shown us that clicking on an object enables a mouse to be dragged left and right to jog through video. Vegas has a shuttle slider that even lets audio ramp up and down.
Last Edit: 9 years, 3 months ago by DVCINLV2005.

Re: Alternative to Console, a different approach 9 years, 3 months ago #10129

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 9 years, 3 months ago
While that would be geekishly cool, it wouldn't be practical. You would still have to take your eyes off the main screen and point your mouse at the plugin's screen. The thing about the console is having the tactile feel of real objects (shuttle and buttons). It's like trying to play a piano keyboard on an iPad or a real keyboard. You need to feel the keys.
Work Comp: Retired!
Home Comp: Newer! Bigger! Faster!
Send me a tip: paypal.me/4khaver

Re: Alternative to Console, a different approach 9 years, 3 months ago #10134

• Greg_E
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 9 years, 3 months ago
Finished the machining last night so here is probably the last sneak peek that will be available. Please note that the mill work is all done by hand and I never claim to be a machinist, not the prettiest of work but 100% functional and proves the CAD work so that I can either take more time on the mill or send it out to be cut by CNC or waterjet. This may also be the last device with the panel mount trackball, they are ridiculously expensive until you get into buying 100+ and I doubt I will ever need that many at once.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Last Edit: 9 years, 3 months ago by Greg_E.

Re: Alternative to Console, a different approach 9 years, 3 months ago #10162

• DVCINLV2005
  • Senior Boarder
  • 9 years, 3 months ago
The virtual console would be on the main screen. Just like any other window.

Re: Alternative to Console, a different approach 9 years, 3 months ago #10506

• Greg_E
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 9 years, 3 months ago
Finished the construction but didn't get a chance to fire it up and program it for testing.

Re: Alternative to Console, a different approach 9 years, 2 months ago #11346

• Greg_E
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 9 years, 2 months ago
Not real happy with the keyboard encoder, it seemed to be pretty universal when I bought it but it seems to want to be very specific to the design goals that it was originally designed to perform. This means more compromise. I'm also having problems getting the stupid thing to program, think I need to start from the beginning and install the programmer on XP and try again.

Re: Alternative to Console, a different approach 9 years, 2 months ago #11539

• Greg_E
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 9 years, 2 months ago
OK, I have the programming issues worked around, have Lightworks keyboard assignments all set, key caps labeled and I'm working on some final things before I reveal a functional device. Top among the things to check is to make sure the programming operates the way I expect for each chosen function. The keyboard encoder required that I modify from a standard Avid keyboard to make everything work, it was not able to program multiple keystrokes (things like alt+ or cntrl+) so I had to do it the old school way and used the shift key as a real lower to upper case key. In order to get it back to working with Avid I will probably need to add two more buttons for the alt and control keys. The flexibility in the Lightworks keyboard mapping should allow it to work the way I have it programmed, so I guess it is a good thing I went after Lightworks compatibility first.

And the second chassis finally shipped, that means I can make a second device soon.

Re: Alternative to Console, a different approach 9 years, 1 month ago #12684

• Greg_E
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 9 years, 1 month ago
Things are getting dragged down so I haven't had the time I wanted to deal with this, but here is what it looks like. I want to swap the "remove / delete" key with the "replace next / replace" key and change the programing but everything should otherwise be the same.
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

This trackball is from a salvaged industrial machine and a bit worn out so I really need to spend the money for a new trackball for the next one.

Re: Alternative to Console, a different approach 8 years, 11 months ago #14879

Hi Greg,

Interesting project!

I was just investigating the options for this the other night, but i have a bigger project in mind: a complete hardware editing solution for audio and video.

I would build it into an Argosy console, and include a metal industrial keyboard (with a trackball in it), and a 19 inch housing at the end of it to build in some 19 inch video monitors (Blackmagic Design), also feature a 19 inch mounted computer inside (preferably linux). This is gonna take me a few years though, i'm a rather busy filmmaker with an insane schedule, but it's something fun to do for the next few years to come.

Eventually, when finished it'll look like something that came from Nassa Ground Control, or a nuclear reactor ...

Re: Alternative to Console, a different approach 8 years, 11 months ago #14881

Also: instead of thinking Jog/Shuttle/Trackball, think 3D Mouse:
www.3dconnexion.com/buy/shop.html

A 3D mouse is like a joystick, but also with rotation etc. You can navigate while pushing it left, right, up and jog/shuttle when you rotate it left/right

Looks kinda modern too ...

Re: Alternative to Console, a different approach 8 years, 11 months ago #14915

• Greg_E
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 8 years, 11 months ago
I thought about that 3D mouse but I don't think it will work very well as a replacement for jog/shuttle. I think it does work with the DaVinci color grading software but I'm not certain.
Last Edit: 8 years, 11 months ago by Greg_E.
Time to create page: 0.40 seconds
Scroll To Top