Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: [SOLVED] USB Serial Adapter doesnt communicate with console

[SOLVED] USB Serial Adapter doesnt communicate with console 4 years, 10 months ago #44373

• Henry51
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 4 years, 10 months ago
AFter almost 2 weeks and about 20 emails with helpful Gregg Gibb, we found out that probably my USB Serial adapter is the problem. The console is recognized (see pic) but date transfer is not working.
Now I try to get I new adapter.
I know there are various available for little money.
But it seems: Serial adapter is not equal Serial adapter!
...and I'm in the Philippines...but thats another problem!
Anyone can recommand a USB serial adapter with driver for Windows 7 64 bit that is
w o r k i n g

with an old VIP Console?

Thanks so much....
Henry
Attachments:
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Lightworks 12; 64 Bit; Windows7; Lenovo Y 500, 16 GB; Nvidia GT 650 M; Intel Core i7 2,4 Ghz
Serial MK II Console from 1996 with serial to USB adapter
Last Edit: 3 years, 4 months ago by jwrl.

Re: USB Serial Adapter doesnt communicate with console 4 years, 10 months ago #44405

• ArteD
    Pro User
  • 4 years, 10 months ago
I think the solution is already posted all over the forums. Use a motherboard with a serial port. I tried six different USB adapters and could only get it to work by using a motherboard with the proper port. Wish I had just done that from the beginning instead of wasting time with the "easy" way first.

Good luck.
I'm not employed by or officially represent Editshare or Lightworks. I'm just a Lightworks user.

Re: USB Serial Adapter doesnt communicate with console 4 years, 10 months ago #44433

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 4 years, 10 months ago
I have tried and tried to get a fellow user's console working via a USB to RS-232 adapter. I also tried it with a PCI RS-232 card. Neither worked. But on my system the same console did work.

There was a tool written by someone else which was supposed to overcome the issue. I can't find it at the moment, but we tried that too. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. We ended up scrapping it.

In the end I came to the same conclusion as ArteD. The only way to use a serial console is to use a motherboard with in-built RS-232 support. That's exactly what I do, because I first installed LW on a 'retired' PC that I had, based on an Asus P5W DH Deluxe motherboard.

Finding an appropriate mobo nowadays is hard but I'm told that a good place to start is server motherboards. Unfortunately these tend to be expensive.

Just why LW serial consoles won't work with anything other than native RS-232 is unknown. I suggested to Editshare that it may be the IRQ used, but this apparently is believed not to be the case. I do know that both the PCI and USB solutions use extended IRQs.

For what it's worth, I use a 21 year old console on my system. When they work, they work well, I can't think of too much computer hardware that runs after 21 years!

Re: USB Serial Adapter doesnt communicate with console 4 years, 10 months ago #44434

• Greg_E
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 years, 10 months ago
Just about all of the SuperMicro brand of boards still have one or two real RS232 ports on them, but you will probably need to buy a header cable. Prices are pretty much the same as everyone else's boards. I use this brand for all my servers at work, and all the computers in our radio station.

Re: USB Serial Adapter doesnt communicate with console 4 years, 10 months ago #44435

• ArteD
    Pro User
  • 4 years, 10 months ago
jwrl wrote:
I also tried it with a PCI RS-232 card.

Yeah, I tried that as well. Didn't help.
I'm not employed by or officially represent Editshare or Lightworks. I'm just a Lightworks user.

Re: USB Serial Adapter doesnt communicate with console 4 years, 10 months ago #44437

• Henry51
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 4 years, 10 months ago
Sorry forgot: I have an ACER Travelmate = Laptop. Beleave me, I was searching for ours in the Forum....

ArteD wrote:
I think the solution is already posted all over the forums. Use a motherboard with a serial port. I tried six different USB adapters and could only get it to work by using a motherboard with the proper port. Wish I had just done that from the beginning instead of wasting time with the "easy" way first.

Good luck.
Lightworks 12; 64 Bit; Windows7; Lenovo Y 500, 16 GB; Nvidia GT 650 M; Intel Core i7 2,4 Ghz

Re: USB Serial Adapter doesnt communicate with console 4 years, 10 months ago #44438

• Henry51
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 4 years, 10 months ago
The guy you cant remember the name is called Greg Gibbs, from South Africa and he is the greates helping person I ever known!

www.rtcs.co.za/

Re: USB Serial Adapter doesnt communicate with console 4 years, 10 months ago #44443

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 4 years, 10 months ago
This is probably just another blind alley - I posted the follwing a while back - don't know if anyone tried it.

"If there are still people out there struggling with USB to Serial conversion. Since the LW console is based on an FTDI chip - perhaps this FTDI chip based converter, with a bit of input from a tech with soldering iron, might help

australia.rs-online.com/web/p/interface-development-kits/6877821/"
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: USB Serial Adapter doesnt communicate with console 4 years, 10 months ago #44450

• Henry51
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 4 years, 10 months ago
Very interesting, only the link ist not right...could you check?

RWAV wrote:
This is probably just another blind alley - I posted the follwing a while back - don't know if anyone tried it.

"If there are still people out there struggling with USB to Serial conversion. Since the LW console is based on an FTDI chip - perhaps this FTDI chip based converter, with a bit of input from a tech with soldering iron, might help

australia.rs-online.com/web/p/interface-development-kits/6877821/"

Re: USB Serial Adapter doesnt communicate with console 4 years, 10 months ago #44465

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 years, 10 months ago
The link is fine. Just don't include the quote character at the end.
Work Comp: Retired!

Home Comp: Newer! Bigger! Faster!

Send me a tip: paypal.me/4khaver

Re: USB Serial Adapter doesnt communicate with console 4 years, 10 months ago #44474

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 4 years, 10 months ago
--- and RS Components have outlets woldwide.
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: USB Serial Adapter doesnt communicate with console 4 years, 10 months ago #44497

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 4 years, 10 months ago
FTDI Chip is the manufacturer of the USB to RS-232 converter. It uses their FT232RQ IC. That isn't the same as the UART used in the console that I have, but I don't think that's relevant anyway.

What it does provide is full RS-232 voltage swings which a lot of cheap converters don't. For that reason it's certainly worth a try. It only supports TxD, RxD, CTS and RTS, but this shouldn't be an issue because from memory the console only uses TxD, RxD and RTS.

When I get a little free time I'll see what it does, although since I have a working RS-232 port on the same PC it may confuse the issue. We'll see. It would be good to have a definitive solution. I know someone who'd really appreciate it.
Last Edit: 4 years, 10 months ago by jwrl.

Re: USB Serial Adapter doesnt communicate with console 4 years, 9 months ago #44649

• Henry51
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 4 years, 9 months ago
Yes, me! I really would aprpreciate it.
Do I understand this right:
If you use the FTDI chip (which is a Converter with an open cable at the end...you do not need external power anymore?

jwrl wrote:
FTDI Chip is the manufacturer of the USB to RS-232 converter. It uses their FT232RQ IC. That isn't the same as the UART used in the console that I have, but I don't think that's relevant anyway.

What it does provide is full RS-232 voltage swings which a lot of cheap converters don't. For that reason it's certainly worth a try. It only supports TxD, RxD, CTS and RTS, but this shouldn't be an issue because from memory the console only uses TxD, RxD and RTS.

When I get a little free time I'll see what it does, although since I have a working RS-232 port on the same PC it may confuse the issue. We'll see. It would be good to have a definitive solution. I know someone who'd really appreciate it.

Re: USB Serial Adapter doesnt communicate with console 4 years, 9 months ago #44705

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 4 years, 9 months ago
No, you will still need power for the console electronics and lamps. The voltage swings quoted only relate to the levels on the RS-232 lines.

It's going to be a while before I can do that test, too. My home PC with Lightworks installed has just died. I've just fixed one fault with it and had it working for all of two weeks and it's now gone into no-boot mode. Sometimes I hate computers.

Fortunately I had just done an AAF export of the project that I was working on. I've brought it into Media Composer and I'll still be able to deliver. The AAF export was done to test a possible LW-Avid workflow. Good test!

So if anyone else wants to try the FTDI USB-RS232 conversion, please do. I'm not sure when I'll get to it now.

(Aside, for what it's worth: subjectively, cutting on LW with a series I console felt much faster than cutting on Avid. And I'm by no means slow on Avid. I was cutting a four and a half minute montage from original media used in a feature film project. I had done a little over two thirds when I exported the AAF, which had taken around six hours. The import and finish in Avid took most of a working day.)

Re: USB Serial Adapter doesnt communicate with console [solved] 4 years, 9 months ago #45928

• Henry51
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 4 years, 9 months ago
Finally my old VIP console is working. The Lightworks installation procedure did not work but this nice little initializing tool from Greg Gibb (www. www.rtcs.co.za/) solved the problem.
Thanks so much Greg for your time and patience!
Henry

Henry51 wrote:
AFter almost 2 weeks and about 20 emails with helpful Gregg Gibb, we found out that probably my USB Serial adapter is the problem. The console is recognized (see pic) but date transfer is not working.
Now I try to get I new adapter.
I know there are various available for little money.
But it seems: Serial adapter is not equal Serial adapter!
...and I'm in the Philippines...but thats another problem!
Anyone can recommand a USB serial adapter with driver for Windows 7 64 bit that is
w o r k i n g

with an old VIP Console?

Thanks so much....
Henry
  • Page:
Time to create page: 1.15 seconds
Scroll To Top