Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Console Video Demo Request

Console Video Demo Request 8 years, 10 months ago #25825

• peteristewart
Hi,

Like most people on the forum, I'd love to purchase a LW Console one day, I'm still using FCP and Avid for paid work at the moment, so until I start using LW in anger it doesn't make financial sense just yet.

Having only read about it and seen pictures, I was curious to see how the console works in the real world. I wondered if there were any video demos of the console being used, that would give people like me a better idea of what to expect and what a different experience we get as opposed to using a mouse and keyboard.

Peter

Re: Console Video Demo Request 8 years, 10 months ago #25826

• Forum Admin
That's a good idea!

We don't have any but will make one as soon as we get a chance.

Meanwhile, there may be some videos out there but I haven't seen any.

Re: Console Video Demo Request 8 years, 10 months ago #25827

• Greg_E
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 8 years, 10 months ago
Every video I've seen is not done by a skilled user, and most are of the mark 1 so something showing the current version would be helpful for those people looking to buy one.

Consider a picture in picture with screen capture of Lightworks synced to video of the console being used to perform several (all?) functions.

Re: Console Video Demo Request 8 years, 10 months ago #25828

• Forum Admin
Yes. It's certainly worth watching a skilled user.

Re: Console Video Demo Request 8 years, 10 months ago #25829

• peteristewart
There are a couple of promotional style videos on youtube from about 10 years ago, which give an okay'ish overview.

It would just be nice though to have a straight forward video with an editor briefly talking us through some of the functions he's using as he edits. As well as seeing the response of the video in conjunction with the wheel and levers, I think would give us a good feel for the console.

A picture in picture, as Greg suggests, would be perfect.

Re: Console Video Demo Request 8 years, 10 months ago #25845

• OwenP
A Editor friend of mine told me about these clips on You Tube a while back.
It was a real blast from the past seeing how we did it last century!
All those old Lightworks drives - god they were heavy!
In answer to your question about using the console, yes it's a joy and makes
editing on LW's a million miles more enjoyable than the other systems.
All about feel and not number crunching...

Watch the BBC doc in two parts here;

Also spotted this on the lightworks console

Enjoy

Owen

Re: Console Video Demo Request 8 years, 10 months ago #25880

• peteristewart
Hi Owen,

Great doco, thanks for pointing that out, wonder what system they're all working on now!

I remember when I first started, must have been not to long after 95, the Director of the company I started with was in awe of his new NLE, Media 100. I didn't know what all the fuss was about, I just thought "wasn't it always done on computers?!", so young and so naive!

I only caught the tail end of linear editing, managed to get a few sessions in with one of the old school producers there. Three SP machines, a desk the size of a car and a machine room hidden in the kitchen that was constantly overheating.

Peter

Re: Console Video Demo Request 8 years, 10 months ago #25885

• OwenP
Hi Peter,

yes, those were the days. That great lump the guy is lifting out of a flightcase
at the start of pt 2 is one of the old LW's drives, I think.
As I recall they were 9GB drives (yes 9, not a typo) at 30min quality that's
a whole 4.5 hrs of off line pictures.
Only 17 years ago but it looks pre historic!

Just playing around with a Shuttle Pro 2 that I've had for years.
Bought it in the vain hope I could get Media Composer to work like Lightworks. (never did)

I'm just fiddling with the settings to try and get it set up like a MK1 console.
Getting pretty close now...

all the best
Owen
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.33 seconds
Scroll To Top