• Page:

TOPIC: My Lightworks Journey

My Lightworks Journey 2 weeks ago #241490

• DaveFekete
  • Pro User
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 weeks ago
My name is Dave, I was once active on the forum under the username DJFJEKETE but have long since forgotten the password and the email associated with the account probably doesn't exist.

Lightworks is the first system I ever edited on having heard of the software from a Youtube channel when Editshare first acquired it and "relaunched" it and updated it. The thing that sold me on it at the time was that it was free and I was able to edit my short films I made with my friends and it just looked comfortable. The Console looked fun and just totally different from any of the other NLEs I could use.

I loved Lightworks so much that I went out and bought a used MK1 console from Ebay.
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

When I got my console I decided to make a video showcasing it to my friends and just anyone who was curious about it on the internet. If you were ever curious who made this video it was me. Sorry I said Tektronix Lightworks console, the Internet did not have a ton of information on the system.

Fast forward a few years and I went to film school where Lightworks was not taught at all and I was forced to learn Premiere Pro and Avid. I don't mind either but I just never felt 100% comfortable like I did with my old MK1. I edited my groups Senior Thesis using Premiere and I've been attached to that system for over 5 years now.

I got a job at a local production/videography house and I recently moved into the cutting room and have been tasked with editing local commercials and weddings. The last couple of months with Premiere have been sort of a mixed bag. There was a huge bug where Premiere just refused to recognize my keyboard, The software threw a fit when I imported images and my project just disappeared all together a couple days ago. That was the final straw for me with it and I decided I was going to switch to something else that won't give me a headache like Premiere does. The obvious choices would be either Avid or Resolve but I decided to go back to my roots so to speak.

I broke out my old console, downloaded Lightworks and my consoles cable is just completely dead. Like it's all sorts of messed up. I had to have the cable custom made but I have lost the schematic. If the Console goes back onto the Shop I definitely will be a buyer.

Thanks for listening.
Last Edit: 2 weeks ago by briandrys.

Re: My Lightworks Journey 2 weeks ago #241491

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 2 weeks ago
Welcome back to the forum.

Since this seems to be centred around the console, I'm going to move it into that section. You should get a bigger response regarding wiring solutions etc there.

EDIT I've corrected your link to the YouTube video, since it wasn't working.
Last Edit: 2 weeks ago by briandrys.

Re: My Lightworks Journey 2 weeks ago #241493

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 weeks ago
DaveFekete wrote:
I broke out my old console, downloaded Lightworks and my consoles cable is just completely dead. Like it's all sorts of messed up. I had to have the cable custom made but I have lost the schematic.

Check out Getting a Mk I serial console to work on Windows. That may help you.

Re: My Lightworks Journey 1 week, 6 days ago #241544

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 1 week, 6 days ago
LW respects users contributions. JFJEKETE posts between 24Jul11 and 15Mar13 remain on the forum.

Not sure exactly how - but most likely it would be possible for you to revive your old account with a bit of help from LW.
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: My Lightworks Journey 1 week, 6 days ago #241553

• David Rasberry
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 6 days ago
Welcome back Dave.

I dumped Premiere when the first Lightworks V10 beta was released and never looked back.

Console or not, the program is much improved since then. Some of us are using the Contour Shuttlepro V2 or X-Keys controller.
Definitely not a replacement for a Lightworks console, but a useful low cost alternative.
Razz

Digital Bolex 2k Cinema DNG raw camera
Canon GL2 DV camcorder
iPAD Mini 3 Iographer rig
iPhone 12 Pro

Mobile Workstation: MSI GTX72 Dominator
Intel i7-6700HQ 2.7GHz Win10 64bit
16GB DDR4 ram, 500GB M.2 SSD
Nvidia GTX970 3GB GPU
USB3, USB3.1-C, Thunderbolt 3 ports
Up to 12TB of external media drives attached.
Shuttlepro2 Win10Pro 64bit LW 2020.1 release 64 bit
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.40 seconds
Scroll To Top