Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Suggestions for New Lightworks Console and Keyboard Replacements

Re: Suggestions for New Lightworks Console and Keyboard Replacements 5 months, 2 weeks ago #225181

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 months, 2 weeks ago
Is there anybody who can help this poor fellow any further than I could:

www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=25&id=225107&Itemid=81#225107
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Suggestions for New Lightworks Console and Keyboard Replacements 3 months ago #229984

Why not Xkeys with Software Mode with Custom Application?

It loses many of the ergonomic advantages, but if well implemented it can deliver a good JOG

It would be a good intermediate option, between the contour shuttle and Console MKII

Re: Suggestions for New Lightworks Console and Keyboard Replacements 3 weeks ago #234699

• skywalrus
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 weeks ago
Is LWKS Limited have any plans replacing the console with a new model in the future?

Re: Suggestions for New Lightworks Console and Keyboard Replacements 3 weeks ago #234701

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 weeks ago
Hello,

I'm not with LWKS, just a user of the software, but I believe that isn't very likely. The Contour Shuttle Pro V2, however, is good replacement with dedicated presets, available at a very reasonable price. Not a Lightworks Console, of course, but a nice device.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 3 weeks ago by hugly.

Re: Suggestions for New Lightworks Console and Keyboard Replacements 3 weeks ago #234705

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 3 weeks ago
X keys is owned by users as is the ShuttlePro. Any future plans for the console are unknown, so if interested in using it, currently, the best bet is someone selling their console. They have a long life, so an older one is still worth considering.

Re: Suggestions for New Lightworks Console and Keyboard Replacements 17 hours, 40 minutes ago #236239

• digitallysane
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 17 hours, 40 minutes ago
After spending a bit of time in DAW world, I just realized that probably the best option would be for LWKS to just add the Mackie MCU/HUI protocol, to allow the usage of any MIDI/USB controller that uses it.

And also use that as the communication protocol with an eventual future Console, instead of the current proprietary protocol.

The Mackie MCU and HUI are an industry standard in the DAW world and any software understands one of those. There are tons of devices/controllers available, in various price ranges.

The quality of the control offered should be way above keyboard emulation devices like the Contour.

What would this do:
  1. Immediately open LW to be used with a ton of devices that are available, now (some examples further below), in various price ranges, from as low as 150EUR;
  2. If a future Console would also use that protocol, it would be usable with any DAW on the market, being immediately more useful to any LW user that is also involved in music or mixing

Yes, I know there will be people arguing that those are not even close to a device that an editor would use for an 8 hour editing session. Completely agree.

That's not the point, though.

Some of those are perfectly fine devices for people using LW in less demanding ways.
They are also much better devices than current options (Contour), and offer more control options.

The main point is the usage of an industry standard protocol, which offers choice and makes any future Console more useful to its owners.

Below just some examples of available devices.

iCON Platform Nano (approx 170EUR) iconproaudio.com/product/platform-nano/
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Transport controls and Jog/Scrub, configurable buttons, motorized fader, screen to show timecode.

Behringer X-TOUCH ONE (approx 140EUR) www.behringer.com/product.html?modelCode=P0CAP

Same as above, a bit cheaper.

PreSonus FaderPort (approx 170EUR) www.presonus.com/products/FaderPort
Same as above, sans screen for timecode and somehow less ergonomic for LW usage.

Asparion D400T (transport) and 400F (faders). (from 400EUR) www.asparion.de/en/electronics/d400.html

Looks very well built, it's modular.
Transport controls have an outer jog wheel that seems to work like the Console levers and a shuttle control.

There are also high end devices that no one would probably buy for LW usage, but would be great for those who already own them for music production to know that they could also be used with LW:
Mackie, Solid State Logic.

This just scratches the surface. Go to any web store and search the MIDI Controllers / DAW controllers section.
I like Lightworks.
Last Edit: 17 hours, 39 minutes ago by digitallysane.
Time to create page: 0.41 seconds
Scroll To Top