Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Lightworks Console Initialisation Utility Now Available

Lightworks Console Initialisation Utility Now Available 9 years, 3 months ago #18217

• RTCS
The Lightworks Console Initialisation Utility is designed to enable the use of the Lightworks MkI and MkII serial (RS232) based consoles with the latest Lightworks software running on Windows XP, Vista and 7 (32- and 64-bit versions), using any serial port type (USB, card or motherboard).

For further information on the Lightworks Console Initialisation Utility please read the utility's Readme file.

A free demo version of the Lightworks Console Initialisation Utility is available for download from our website's Downloads page .
We highly recommend downloading the demo version of the utility and trying it out for yourself.

The full version of the Lightworks Console Initialisation Utility is now available for purchase at US$10.99 per licence. Please contact us for more information.

Happy editing,

RTCS
www.rtcs.co.za

Re: Lightworks Console Initialisation Utility Now Available 9 years, 3 months ago #18230

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 9 years, 3 months ago
You're extremely generous for offering this utility at such a low price. Not having to secure a new computer with a dedicated serial port that may or may not work with the console is a great boon for all those with a console. Even though I don't have one, I'm sure, for those with a console, you've just "made their day".
Work Comp: Retired!
Home Comp: Newer! Bigger! Faster!
Send me a tip: paypal.me/4khaver

Re: Lightworks Console Initialisation Utility Now Available 9 years, 3 months ago #18243

• Greg_E
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 9 years, 3 months ago
Can I transfer the license with a console? I'm still thinking it might be best to solder in a USB to TTL serial adapter and get rid of the RS232 connection. The price is good and it would be easiest to transfer the license along with the cost of doing this type of upgrade. I'll give it a try once I have some time back and see if I can use your tool to make this modification work. I still think this mod is best because not all USB/RS232 adapters will supply enough current to get clean data to the older circuits.

Re: Lightworks Console Initialisation Utility Now Available 9 years, 3 months ago #18254

• LW_for_Feature
Honestly, at that price it doesn't really matter if you can transfer the license or not. It's very cheap. Besides, how often will you need to transfer a console to another system?

On a second note, it would be a great thing if Editshare would buy the software and make it part of the full version. The console is a needed addition and let's face it, there are a lot of the old ones still floating around and a few old users who would be happy with the easy set up that this piece of software offers when moving to a new station.

Re: Lightworks Console Initialisation Utility Now Available 8 years, 6 months ago #31918

• spirocarras
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 8 years, 6 months ago
Can we get somebody to make the COMPLETE cable with the DB-15 to RS 232 with the power adaptor ( 12v 900 mA ) and the RS 232 to USB connections. it would be rather easy for somebody who does this kind of cable wiring

Re: Lightworks Console Initialisation Utility Now Available 8 years, 6 months ago #31922

• Greg_E
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 8 years, 6 months ago
How much demand is there going to be? And what kind of prices are people willing to pay?

Looking at somewhere in the $20 to $30 in parts and probably around half an hour to an hour in labor which would put the cable up to $40 to $60 each (rough estimate). Might be more since the price of copper is kind of high and depending on the quality of the connectors used, I'd have to actually price connectors to give a more accurate estimate.

And it may not work with a USB adapter as many people have found so you would need to source a known working adapter. The USB may not work because they do not have the power needed to drive some of these older RS232 chips. USB is +5 volt, RS232 is +12 to -12 so these adapters have to make the voltages through some circuits, and these circuits are very low power and easily depleted by some of the older chips. Can you add a real RS232 card to your computer? That might work better than USB but is still a possible unknown since I haven't tried getting my MK1 working in such a long time and don't really have the time right now to mess with it again.

Re: Lightworks Console Initialisation Utility Now Available 8 years, 6 months ago #31929

• spirocarras
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 8 years, 6 months ago
the voltage is provided by an external power adapter 12V

Re: Lightworks Console Initialisation Utility Now Available 8 years, 6 months ago #31932

• Greg_E
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 8 years, 6 months ago
But not for the RS232 communications, this is the part that will have the problems.

Re: Lightworks Console Initialisation Utility Now Available 8 years, 6 months ago #31943

• spirocarras
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 8 years, 6 months ago
what other voltage does it need and where is that specified. the console gets 12v 900mA the rest is a USB to 9 Pin RS-232 some of the people here made it work Can we get a definite answer of what works and what does not before we embark into making a cable??? thanks

Re: Lightworks Console Initialisation Utility Now Available 8 years, 6 months ago #31944

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 8 years, 6 months ago
The definitive answer is that there is no universal definitive answer.

For some years now we here have standardised on HPXW/HPZ workstations, all with RS232 ports on the system board. We can make all console versions work on those systems with the appropriate cables. Other users, particularly those with USB to serial adapters, have had variable success; so it becomes an individual effort to get it right.

As far as I know LW no longer provides any support for any RS232 consoles.

Cable pin-out details have been posted on the forum previously – they attached again to this post. The configurations work perfectly here. (The document is an edit of information available online from others, based on our uncertainty whether the source would welcome additional traffic, it is acknowledged anonymously)
Attachments:
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: Lightworks Console Initialisation Utility Now Available 8 years, 6 months ago #31950

• Greg_E
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 8 years, 6 months ago
RWAV wrote:

For some years now we here have standardised on HPXW/HPZ workstations, all with RS232 ports on the system board. We can make all console versions work on those systems with the appropriate cables.

This is as close as we can get to a definitive answer, the only computers that work reliably are those with a real RS232 serial port on the main board that shows up as comm1 or possibly comm2. Some have tried PCI/PCIe cards with success, some have failed. Some have been able to get USB to work, most have not. Some have been able to get it working under windows 7 64 bit, some have not. This is why I stopped working on my console and started to just suggest people get a keyboard and Shuttle Xpress.

The only other definitive answer is to buy the newest version from Editshare.

Re: Lightworks Console Initialisation Utility Now Available 8 years, 6 months ago #31961

• ArteD
    Pro User
  • 8 years, 6 months ago
Greg_E wrote:
RWAV wrote:

For some years now we here have standardised on HPXW/HPZ workstations, all with RS232 ports on the system board. We can make all console versions work on those systems with the appropriate cables.

This is as close as we can get to a definitive answer, the only computers that work reliably are those with a real RS232 serial port on the main board that shows up as comm1 or possibly comm2.

Yes, I can confirm this to be the case here too. Using a MKII console under Windows 7 64bit with a RS232 serial port on the motherboard.
I'm not employed by or officially represent LWKS Software Ltd or Lightworks. I'm just a Lightworks user.

Re: Lightworks Console Initialisation Utility Now Available 8 years, 6 months ago #31971

• suitepost
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 8 years, 6 months ago
I would appeal to anyone who has been successful
in win 7 32 or 64 bit
getting the MK 1 or MK 2
console to work,
to list the brand and model of RS232 PCI card.
Or RS 232 to USB cable. (motherboard)

Any tricks or suggestions much appreciated

thank you in advance.
It seems to be one of life's mysteries.
ASUS G53SW Laptop
i7-2630QM, 2.0GHZ
8GB ram
Genforce GTX460M CUDA 1.5GB
Win 7 64bit Lightworks Pro
Lightworks Keyboard + Contour shuttle Pro

Re: Lightworks Console Initialisation Utility Now Available 8 years, 6 months ago #31977

• ArteD
    Pro User
  • 8 years, 6 months ago
I have a hunch that any high specification motherboard with a built in RS232 port will probably work. My motherboard is a gigabyte and it was pretty straight forward. The hardest part was to get the driver to work with Windows 7 64bit and to sort the power supply and cables.
I'm not employed by or officially represent LWKS Software Ltd or Lightworks. I'm just a Lightworks user.
Last Edit: 8 years, 1 month ago by ArteD.

Re: Lightworks Console Initialisation Utility Now Available 8 years, 6 months ago #31983

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 8 years, 6 months ago
If you're using a 64 bit system you need to request the 64 bit console drivers and set-up instructions from LW (via this forum)
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.42 seconds
Scroll To Top