Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: What can the Jog command be used for?

Re: What can the Jog command be used for? 3 months, 1 week ago #182067

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
I would say that the lag on V14.5 seems worse than V12.6. There has been reports regarding the lag with the mouse scrubbing on the timeline in the past, which was improved.

I don't think you have to gather evidence regarding the source, it's the developers who know their software and the Shuttle Pro is sold as an Lightworks accessory.

They may or may not be able to address an improvement in V14.5, but an early report makes a solution in that version more likely.

Re: What can the Jog command be used for? 3 months, 1 week ago #182069

• David Rasberry
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
Some lag may be related to decoding of long GOP video formats. I am working with i-frame only professional DI codecs and PCM audio in Lightworks. I find no noticeable difference between keyboard jog and shuttle jog on my laptop. Performance in 14.5 RC9 seems to be the same as it was with V12.5
Razz

Digital Bolex 2k Cinema DNG raw camera
Canon GL2 DV camcorder
iPAD Mini 3 Iographer rig

Workstation: Intel i7-4770k, Asrock Z87 Thunderbolt 2 MB, 16GB 1866 DDR3 ram,
2TB Seagate Hybrid system drive, 2TB Seagate NAS media drive, E-sata III hot swap drive bay, Nvidia GTX760 2GB GPU
Lightworks kybrd. Shuttlepro v2
Win10 Pro 64bit, Lightworks 14.0 64bit

Mobile Workstation: MSI GTX72 Dominator
Intel i7-6700HQ 2.7GHz Win10 64bit
16GB DDR4 ram, 500GB M.2 SSD
Nvidia GTX970 3GB GPU
USB3, USB3.1-C, Thunderbolt 3 ports
Shuttlepro2 Win10 64bit LW 14.0 64 bit

Re: What can the Jog command be used for? 3 months, 1 week ago #182070

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
Some are almost happy with the behaviour others entirely not, that's the stuff useless feature requests are made of.

There are so many people complaining about jog-wheel behaviour over the years that devs should be pretty aware of. My conclusion, no will, no time, or no money are the cause.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: What can the Jog command be used for? 3 months, 1 week ago #182071

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
By the way Razz, did you get yours for free?

Re: What can the Jog command be used for? 3 months, 1 week ago #182072

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
I was using 32 bit V12,6, it seemed to have less lag than V14.5, although a number of factors could enter into this.

Re: What can the Jog command be used for? 3 months, 1 week ago #182073

• David Rasberry
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
No I bought mine from Contour direct before Editshare sponsored their version. Been using it since V11.
Razz

Canon GL2 DV camcorder

2TB Seagate Hybrid system drive, 2TB Seagate NAS media drive, E-sata III hot swap drive bay, Nvidia GTX760 2GB GPU

Nvidia GTX970 3GB GPU

Re: What can the Jog command be used for? 3 months, 1 week ago #182103

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
briandrys wrote:
I would say that the lag on V14.5 seems worse than V12.6. There has been reports regarding the lag with the mouse scrubbing on the timeline in the past, which was improved.

I don't think you have to gather evidence regarding the source, it's the developers who know their software and the Shuttle Pro is sold as an Lightworks accessory.

They may or may not be able to address an improvement in V14.5, but an early report makes a solution in that version more likely.

I followed your advice and posted in beta forums.

From my understanding of the issues they shouldn't be so hard to optimize with a second set of nudge and jog commands (to preserve the existing), but I doubt that there's enough time to implement with V14.5. Let's see what happens.

I have it on the list, anyway.The list is long and doesn't forget.
Last Edit: 3 months, 1 week ago by hugly.

Re: What can the Jog command be used for? 3 months, 1 week ago #182106

• geomcd1949
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
At the risk of a head-thump from the moderators, I share with you my translation of an epigram from the French to your mother tongue, and hope it gives you heart:

Je mehr Dinge gleich bleiben, desto mehr verändern sie sich.
North Carolina, USA
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
2x2.7 GHz E5-2680
500GB SSD and1TB HDD
64 GB DDR3 10600
Quadro K4200
~X-Keys Pro 68 key USB Jog/Shuttle controller
*Galaxy E5 with Filmic Plus*
*JVC GY-HM150*

Re: What can the Jog command be used for? 3 months, 1 week ago #182109

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
In case anyone is concerned about all this, the jog wheel is extremely effective for slowly scrubbing though your video and audio frame by frame.

Re: What can the Jog command be used for? 3 months, 1 week ago #182110

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
geomcd1949 wrote:
At the risk of a head-thump from the moderators, I share with you my translation of an epigram from the French to your mother tongue...

Why should we thump you, George? If I'm correct, that's "plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose", which could be rendered colloquially as "the more things change, the more they stay the same" or perhaps "whatever the change, it's more of the same" (lit: "the more it changes, the more it’s the same thing").

In any case, why should that in any way contravene forum guidelines?

[EDIT] Interestingly, I thought that I'd better check my literal version on Google translate since my French is very rusty. That came up with "what goes around comes around". I can't for the life of me see how that was arrived at - I don't think that conveys the same sense at all. The French original is far more cynical than that.
Last Edit: 3 months, 1 week ago by jwrl.

Re: What can the Jog command be used for? 3 months, 1 week ago #182120

• David Rasberry
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
I did a thorough check of jog behavior under RC9 on my system last night. On the keyboard jog left is assigned to up arrow and jog right to down.
Three quick key presses moves one frame right. Two quick key presses moves one frame left. This is still consistent with past behavior.
Jogging either way with repeated key presses at about 4 fps, stop is frame accurate. Much faster than that and it might overshoot stop by one frame, but that could be my reaction time too. If I hold the key down it ramps speed up to key repeat rate. When released it ramps down and overshoots by several frames.
With the shuttle jog wheel the movement does not quite match up with the notching of the jog wheel. But the behavior is pretty much the same though not quite as precise as the keyboard. I think this may come down to the quality of the Hall encoder in the shuttle more than a problem with a Lightworks command programmed for their much higher quality console.
Be interesting to hear from Craig or someone else using an X-keys console to see how that compares.
Nudge using the shift + play buttons on the shuttle is exactly like the keyboard. I would expect some slop assigning this to the jog encoder.
That nice sub frame audio crawl initiated with a single notch left of the jog wheel or keyboard jog in past versions is gone. That may have been a bug, but I liked it.
The mouse wheel function in preview windows is nudge. It doesn't scrub audio. With my Logitech mouse it is frame for frame accurate. If we could assign jog to a mouse wheel I expect behavior would be the same as the keyboard behavior.
With keyboard jog as described above, one can precisely adjust one frame at a time with audible audio scrub.
Observing the behavior of the on screen control panel with key jog, the first key press takes it out of pause, the second or next two move one frame and return to pause. I imagine this is a necessary chain of events for the Lightworks console functions.
The test was done on a Cineform 10 bit 4:2:2 i-frame clip.
Razz

Canon GL2 DV camcorder

Nvidia GTX970 3GB GPU
Last Edit: 3 months, 1 week ago by David Rasberry.

Re: What can the Jog command be used for? 3 months, 1 week ago #182121

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
A quite long double post, David. Takes a while reading it.

Re: What can the Jog command be used for? 3 months, 1 week ago #182130

• geomcd1949
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
@John – The fear was of reprimand for posting in a non-English language. Our friend Hugly seemed a little out of sorts over the length of his list of requested features, and I thought a fractured rendition of the French epigram might raise his spirits. The German reads [or SHOULD read], “The more things stay the same, the more they change.”
North Carolina, USA
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
2x2.7 GHz E5-2680
500GB SSD and1TB HDD
64 GB DDR3 10600
Quadro K4200
~X-Keys Pro 68 key USB Jog/Shuttle controller
*Galaxy E5 with Filmic Plus*
*JVC GY-HM150*

Re: What can the Jog command be used for? 3 months, 1 week ago #182131

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
I'll keep it with "Stillstand ist Rückschritt" (Konfuzius, I think).

Google translates that to "Stagnation means regression".
Last Edit: 3 months, 1 week ago by hugly.
Time to create page: 0.36 seconds
Scroll To Top