• Page:

TOPIC: MK1 BUTTON FUNCTIONS

Re: MK1 BUTTON FUNCTIONS 9 years, 3 months ago #17982

• DJFJEKETE
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 9 years, 3 months ago
[quote="jwrl" post=17981]DJFJEKETE wrote:
so after i use the console for a little while i'll be able to doing things faster? faster than i was using final cut?

I don't like to equate speed with editing, and in any case your experience and mine may vary. What I have found is that there seems to be less getting between me and my cut working with the console.

What do you mean by that?

Re: MK1 BUTTON FUNCTIONS 9 years, 3 months ago #17983

• LW_for_Feature
Great addition JWRL.

jwrl wrote:

5. MOVE - often called "lift" on other systems. Removes media from the timeline.

In the MKII this key is called REMOVE actually.

Since we got to talk about the MKII;

jwrl wrote:
Hold down the stop button and click REPLACE. You will "back replace", ie., the replace will end where your cursor currently sits in the timeline.

Called BACKTIME in the MKII.

jwrl wrote:
Stop-CUE deletes the cue you are parked on.

UNCUE in the MKII

jwrl wrote:
Stop-Insert inserts a shot and leaves the play head at the end.

FILL in the MKII.

jwrl wrote:
Stop-Unmark joins or unjoins cuts for trimming. This is a toggle.

Named JOIN in the MKII.

jwrl wrote:
Stop-Swap swaps the active viewer between record and current source.

Called SWITCH in the MKII.

jwrl wrote:

Stop-Mark marks the end of the current shot. Never found much use for this, because having no mark achieves the same result as far as I can see.

This is called MARK ALL in the MKII.

About the use for it, well, if you for example wanted to remove the remaining of your clip after the playhead, you would need to hit mark, then jump to the end of the clip and then hit DELETE or REMOVE.

With MARK ALL, you can instead just hit MARK ALL and then hit DELETE or REMOVE. Two operations instead of three.

The interesting thing about the MKII is because the buttons are bigger, they are tagged with both operations, so you don't need to guess what that button does when you press STOP. Quite useful.

Also the MKII has two TRIMMING buttons in addition to the buttons above. Speeds things up quite a bit.

The other excellent feature in the MKII is the user keys. There are eight of them and at this point I can't see myself without them, as all of them are mapped to custom functions which I use all the time. With the addition of the user keys I really only need the keyboard if I need to write something and I can completely put it aside while cutting.

By the way, I just wanted to say that you and Greg are two of the most valuable and serious posters in these boards. You guys are everywhere and always with great info and insights. Guys like you make this community a great place.
Last Edit: 9 years, 3 months ago by .

Re: MK1 BUTTON FUNCTIONS 9 years, 3 months ago #17984

• LW_for_Feature
jwrl wrote:
Two more occur to me: the arrow buttons under MARK and UNMARK jump from event to event. Unlike Avid they jump to events on any selected tracks. If you're controlling a deck for digitising, the jump buttons fast forward or rewind the tape.

In the MKII they jump to the next cut in your timeline. If you press STOP+JUMP it jumps to the start or end of your timeline or clip.

Re: MK1 BUTTON FUNCTIONS 9 years, 3 months ago #17985

• LW_for_Feature
Greg_E wrote:
Surprised to read that you use it with left hand, the controls are laid out for right handed operation.

Another interesting feature with the MKII is that is has dual levers so right-handed and left-handed people may operate it comfortably.

I use the console with my right hand as well, but I'm right-handed. Although I agree it's just a matter of getting used to using it the way you want and it doesn't matter much.

Re: MK1 BUTTON FUNCTIONS 9 years, 3 months ago #17986

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 9 years, 3 months ago
DJFJEKETE wrote:
so after i use the console for a little while i'll be able to doing things faster? faster than i was using final cut?

jwrl wrote:
I don't like to equate speed with editing, and in any case your experience and mine may vary. What I have found is that there seems to be less getting between me and my cut working with the console.

DJFJEKETE wrote:
What do you mean by that?

I mean that with the console I find that I think of a cut and it just happens.

Re: MK1 BUTTON FUNCTIONS 9 years, 3 months ago #18004

• Greg_E
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 9 years, 3 months ago
I guess it is in the way that you train yourself to use the tools that you have, just surprised that there isn't a little strain involved with shuttle and the extra reach for the keys. I've moved a few keys around on the device I made and I think it is almost right, the addition of the cntrl and alt keys should open up even more things for other applications like Premiere and Avid which both use a lot of cntrl+ for functions. Getting pretty far off the topic but I was looking at Sony A/B controllers on ebay and thinking I may need to pick one up to modify for a test

Re: MK1 BUTTON FUNCTIONS 9 years, 3 months ago #18016

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 9 years, 3 months ago
Greg_E wrote:
surprised that there isn't a little strain involved with shuttle and the extra reach for the keys.

Large hands and ambidextrous, I guess. I'm naturally left-handed, but was taught to read and write at a time when using your left hand got you a rap across the knuckles with a ruler.

When I was using Lightworks to earn my living I could put in a ten to twelve hour day cutting drama with no obvious ill effects. I was at that time able to cut a commercial hour of TV drama in two working days, with a further four hour fine cut - a total of two and a half days from start to finished cut. I've never been able to achieve that on any other NLE.

Greg_E wrote:
I've moved a few keys around on the device I made and I think it is almost right, the addition of the cntrl and alt keys should open up even more things for other applications like Premiere and Avid which both use a lot of cntrl+ for functions.

The beauty of the Mark I was its simplicity. With simplicity comes ease of use. I'm perfectly happy with less frequently used functions being handled by keyboard or drop down menus.

I can see the reason for the functions added with the Mark II and later controllers. I just prefer the simplicity of the Mark I.
Last Edit: 9 years, 3 months ago by jwrl.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.34 seconds
Scroll To Top