Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Got Console Need Help

Got Console Need Help 9 years, 4 months ago #17308

• DJFJEKETE
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 9 years, 4 months ago
I got a used Lightworks Console MK-1 on ebay in early october. I've had it for nearly 2 months and been fiddling around with it since november and have not go it to work to my dismay. I have everything that i need to get it hooked up. I have the cable that doomsday supplied, the ac adapter and a RS-232 serial card also for cheap i picked up a serial port to usb cable just out of curiosity to see if it would work. I dont know what to do. Im probably doing something wrong. I've tried hooking it up to 3 different systems: Xp, Vista and Windows 7.

Re: Got Console Need Help 9 years, 4 months ago #17309

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 9 years, 4 months ago
You need to make sure you have the console driver loaded. Only the very first beta had the driver included with the install. If you never installed the first beta then you need to ask one of the moderators to send it to you. Specify if you're on a 32 or 64 bit OS.
Work Comp: Retired!
Home Comp: Newer! Bigger! Faster!
Send me a tip: paypal.me/4khaver

Re: Got Console Need Help 9 years, 4 months ago #17324

• DJFJEKETE
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 9 years, 4 months ago
So i need to install the 32bit console driver included in the downloads page? Cause i downloaded that already but doesn't work.

Re: Got Console Need Help 9 years, 4 months ago #17325

• Greg_E
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 9 years, 4 months ago
I'm willing to bet you are running into the same issue I had. That issue appears to be that LW only looks at certain comm ports and address ranges, namely comm1.

Re: Got Console Need Help 9 years, 4 months ago #17326

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 9 years, 4 months ago
[quote="DJFJEKETE" post=17308I have everything that i need ... RS-232 serial card also for cheap i picked up a serial port to usb cable[/quote]Unless your motherboard has a comms (RS232) port built in it's unlikely that you'll have any success. Lightworks' console driver I believe looks for a particular range of addresses and/or interrupts which PCI cards can't reach. Windows will see your RS-232 port, the console software can't.

A similar problem applies to USB/RS232 ports. Assuming that the driver software is included when LW goes open source it should be able to be fixed. Even so, it may not be a simple fix. I suspect that the driver software is written in machine code which to most modern programmers is a black art.

Re: Got Console Need Help 9 years, 4 months ago #17332

• DJFJEKETE
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 9 years, 4 months ago
My Laptop has a serial port, so are you saying that i would have to connect the console directly to that serial port instead of a RS232 card?

Re: Got Console Need Help 9 years, 4 months ago #17334

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 9 years, 4 months ago
I'm saying that you may stand a better chance of it working. Give it a try.

There are two phases to the console driver's operation. The first just runs at startup, and downloads the firmware into the console. You can tell whether this works or not, because the console lights up.

It is this part of the operation that doesn't seem to work with a PCI card or USB adapter.

Once you get past that stage the console should work. Install 10.0.4.1 on your laptop, install the console driver, start Lightworks and see if the console starts. If it does you should be able to use it.
Last Edit: 9 years, 4 months ago by jwrl.

Re: Got Console Need Help 9 years, 4 months ago #17342

• DJFJEKETE
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 9 years, 4 months ago
Alright i shall try and see if it works. Im gonna have to get a new cable cause the one i have doesn't have the pins that hook into the serial port cause the one in my laptop is one that doesn't have pins. I shall if this works im staying positive. Thanks

Re: Got Console Need Help 9 years, 4 months ago #17382

• DJFJEKETE
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 9 years, 4 months ago
Does the end of the cable have to be a DB9 serial?

Re: Got Console Need Help 9 years, 4 months ago #17385

• Greg_E
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 9 years, 4 months ago
Well it needs to be an RS232 port but the connector doesn't really matter as long as it is correct. It could be a 25 pin connector but most of those went away a long time ago, and yes this is different from the printer port that has a similar large connector so make sure you know what you really have.

Re: Got Console Need Help 9 years, 4 months ago #17393

• DJFJEKETE
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 9 years, 4 months ago
Alright i m gonna try and see if i can get a cable that has pins for the serial port on my laptop

Re: Got Console Need Help 9 years, 4 months ago #17399

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 9 years, 4 months ago
If still it doesn't work, take my advice. Don't junk the controller just yet. It may faulty, it may not. I have great hopes for what will happen when the source code is available.

Re: Got Console Need Help 9 years, 4 months ago #17439

• DJFJEKETE
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 9 years, 4 months ago
Im thinking of buying a computer to have as my own little editing setup so i was wondering if Lightworks would run good on this computer.

WIndows Ultimate 32bit
Intel Pentium 2.8GHz HyperThread processor
1 GB RAM expandable to 4GB
140 GB hard drive
1 DB9 serial port
6 usb ports
400 watt dual fan power supply
With room for expansion

Just wondering cause i like Lightworks and want to know if it sounds like a good buy or not. Will Lightworks run good on that? Will the console work?

Re: Got Console Need Help 9 years, 4 months ago #17441

• Greg_E
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 9 years, 4 months ago
I would not buy anything that won't run a 64bit operating system, while Lightworks is still 32bit it will be moving to 64bit as soon as they can get it ready. Premiere and Avid are now 64bit only and I know Vegas has a 64bit version. So far I have not had any problems running properly built 32bit applications on the 64bit OS so I don't see much of a downside. The upside is lots of memory and the ability to do some of these video tasks at about twice the 32bit speed.

If you want to build a specialized computer I would suggest taking a look at this article:
www.videoguys.com/Guide/E/Videoguys+DIY9+Sneak+Peek+Its+Time+for+Sandy+Bridge+E/0xe9b142f408a2b03ab88144a434e88de7.aspx
This processor is a lower cost version i7 and might come in an i5 variant, for HD I wouldn't go with less than a dual core i5 with hyperthreading. The graphics card will be one of the more important items and worth spending extra money. I would not spend the extra on an SSD right now, I just don't think it is worth the time saved in boot or application start, if you can afford a small SSD to use for the page file (swap file) you will get better performance this way than a single "large" SSD system drive.

Re: Got Console Need Help 9 years, 4 months ago #17453

• DJFJEKETE
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 9 years, 4 months ago
I thought that mk1 consoles don't work with 64bit version operating systems. And could I change the computer around buy a new graphics card, new processor to make it faster and better for hd editing? Also could I upgrade the operating system as well? Just wondering cause I've never gotten this technical
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.49 seconds
Scroll To Top