Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Expensive!

Re: Expensive! 9 years ago #22558

• Greg_E
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 9 years ago
davidchecker wrote:
Maybe a contour shuttlepro, then. Have the small one, would like more buttons (must have more buttons...buttons good...using keyboard bad ... ).

I would suggest the Bella keyboard with shuttle knob instead... I don't like how cramped the buttons are on the Shuttle Pro.

Re: Expensive! 9 years ago #22559

I like to jog left handed, and I'd like to keep a standard keyboard, but thanks for the suggestion. I seem to always forget about the dedicated keyboards! And I've got pretty short fingers anyway.

Re: Expensive! 9 years ago #22570

• balanceandpeace
I like to jog left handed too. Console left, mouse right.

The console is too expensive for me too, so I started working on an alternate option for those who have a smartphone or tablet. Currently I'm using my iPad with a Lightworks console-like interface. It has a jog wheel instead of shuttle, but my prototype is working. Pretty snappy over WiFi.

I agree with khaver and others. khaver wrote:
It's just that the console allows you to focus on editing without looking away from your video.

Having an interface that allows you to remain eyes on your material (and not your controller) is an important element. Not impossible with a touch interface.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Last Edit: 9 years ago by .

Re: Expensive! 9 years ago #22577

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 9 years ago
I've been working on something similar using WiFiPad. Any chance you can share which app you use and upload your layout for it?
Work Comp: Retired!
Home Comp: Newer! Bigger! Faster!
Send me a tip: paypal.me/4khaver

Re: Expensive! 9 years ago #22579

• Greg_E
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 9 years ago
balanceandpeace wrote:

Having an interface that allows you to remain eyes on your material (and not your controller) is an important element. Not impossible with a touch interface.

Actually touch needs a qualifier... If a controller was made that used cap. sense "buttons" and knobs, but had physically defined areas that you could feel as your hand moved across the surface, then a non-mechanical button, job, shuttle could be used and be very much like any other control panel. The touch interface in a smooth "virtual" control panel is the one that would be difficult to use since you would need to look at the buttons to see what you were doing. The gesture based stuff may remove this since gestures do not rely on physical location.

Re: Expensive! 9 years ago #22581

I would have to take issue with "not able to keep eye on work while using the touchpad" idea. I think repetition would bring accuracy. I touch type and play several instruments. You would definitely develop a sense of where you were on the pad after using it for a while. Simply touching the edge of it could be used as a reference point.

Re: Expensive! 9 years ago #22582

I was messing with this months ago, it looks like they've updated the program a bit. I was able to use it with Sony Vegas, but the keyboard was quicker. Still might be cool if you could program a giant jogger wheel.

Here's a somewhat sad little guy:

www.digitalrebellion.com/editmote/gallery.html

This seems awfully nice, but I can't find an application for other than audio.
hexler.net/docs/touchosc

Maybe sticking a small piece of duct tape on the ipad screen over the jog wheel would make it easier to locate and allow you to 'center' your hand. My son has smeared a lot of food over my ipad screen and it still seems to function properly.
Last Edit: 9 years ago by davidchecker.

Re: Expensive! 9 years ago #22604

• balanceandpeace
davidchecker wrote:
This seems awfully nice, but I can't find an application for other than audio.
hexler.net/docs/touchosc

That's actually the app I'm using for my prototype. I'm putting together a development team as we speak to take it the next step and hope to have my own app out in a few months.

I'll share my layout (and how to make it work with LW), but in private. Would love the feedback.

Greg_E wrote:
If a controller was made that used cap. sense "buttons" and knobs, but had physically defined areas that you could feel as your hand moved across the surface, then a non-mechanical button, job, shuttle could be used and be very much like any other control panel.

The gesture based stuff may remove this since gestures do not rely on physical location.

^ Already brewing.
Last Edit: 9 years ago by .

Re: Expensive! 9 years ago #22618

Shuttle button rambling:

I was up late with my ShuttleXpress (we had a heart to heart), and realized there are some neat key-combos possible with the keyboard that help me not spend $90 on the Pro version.

I set up the top 3 shuttle buttons as (J) (K) (L) (reverse, stop, forward). So if you add a "modifier" from the keyboard, you get a lot of additional possibilities like u +(J) = nudge left | o + (L) = nudge right | , + (J) = trim in | . + (L) = trim out | x + (K) = empty cut | etc ...

I set up the side buttons as previous (cut, cue, marker) and next (cut, cue marker), etc ...

There's always the argument that this could be done with the keyboard alone, but I like being able to plant my left hand on the shuttle and just hit modifiers and clack on the shuttle keys.

I have the jog wheel to one jog left, one right. Of course the scrubber is still a mystery.

Re: Expensive! 9 years ago #22631

• Greg_E
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 9 years ago
davidchecker wrote:
Shuttle button rambling:

I was up late with my ShuttleXpress (we had a heart to heart), and realized there are some neat key-combos possible with the keyboard that help me not spend $90 on the Pro version.

I set up the top 3 shuttle buttons as (J) (K) (L) (reverse, stop, forward). So if you add a "modifier" from the keyboard, you get a lot of additional possibilities like u +(J) = nudge left | o + (L) = nudge right | , + (J) = trim in | . + (L) = trim out | x + (K) = empty cut | etc ...

I set up the side buttons as previous (cut, cue, marker) and next (cut, cue marker), etc ...

There's always the argument that this could be done with the keyboard alone, but I like being able to plant my left hand on the shuttle and just hit modifiers and clack on the shuttle keys.

I have the jog wheel to one jog left, one right. Of course the scrubber is still a mystery.

Yes it can be argued that you can just use the keyboard for all this, but I agree with your philosophy of doing this all on the Shuttle device. This keeps all the transport functions grouped together and easy to remember with very little movement.

Re: Expensive! 9 years ago #22632

I may experiment with taping across the buttons to muffle them, leaving enough slack for operation (kind of like a membrane switch). The cheap plastic "click" gets annoying after a while.

Re: Expensive! 8 years, 11 months ago #22856

• muroshi
I suggest that someone starts a kickstarterproject for building a console. It can be done a lot cheaper than that and that's quite obvious..

Re: Expensive! 8 years, 11 months ago #22861

• davidchecker
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 8 years, 11 months ago
muroshi wrote:
I suggest that someone starts a kickstarterproject for building a console. It can be done a lot cheaper than that and that's quite obvious..

Of course, according to the terms of the kickstarter program (if they "agreed" to sponsor the project), we'd have to provide some sort of reward to the investors on completion of the project - presumably t-shirts with sharks on them.

Re: Expensive! 8 years, 11 months ago #22868

• Greg_E
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 8 years, 11 months ago
First you would need to know the API used to talk to the application, then probably license that API.

Or you could go the keyboard emulation route, no one seems interested in anything like that, and even then you'll need to design and program the interface. If you can do all that, then more power to you. If it's better than what I made and as cheap as you think it will be, I'll definitely buy one for myself.

Re: Expensive! 8 years, 11 months ago #22879

• balanceandpeace
muroshi wrote:

@muroshi: Forthcoming. Will be looking for alpha testers. PM me if interested.
Time to create page: 0.47 seconds
Scroll To Top