Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Expensive!

Re: Expensive! 9 years, 1 month ago #20281

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 9 years, 1 month ago
[quote="arniepix" post=20279]khaver wrote:
I suppose that might work, so long as it doesn't interfere with with the actual working of the screen.

Something like this may be a possibility : www.cirque.com/solutions/oemtouchpads/touchpadoverlays.aspx

Re: Expensive! 9 years, 1 month ago #20293

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 9 years, 1 month ago
There are iPad apps that allow you to make control surfaces that connects by WiFi to a server running on your PC that sends keyboard and mouse commands to your applications. You could create a virtual LW controller on the iPad and then have a textured overlay you put over the screen to give the controls some "feel".

I'm going to try this with WiFiPad first since it's free.
Work Comp: Retired!
Home Comp: Newer! Bigger! Faster!
Send me a tip: paypal.me/4khaver

Re: Expensive! 9 years, 1 month ago #20297

• Greg_E
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 9 years, 1 month ago
Lowest cost - Shuttle Express
Next lower cost - Shuttle Pro

Re: Expensive! 9 years, 1 month ago #20299

• namyrb
  • Pro User
  • Senior Boarder
  • 9 years, 1 month ago
One thing that I've learned while working in the TV industry is that $3000 is not expenive... When you look at the cost of everything else (cameras, storage, editing bays, tapes, decks!!!!, etc.) as well as the fact that a console will last you for many years, $3K is not bad at all... It's all relative.

Re: Expensive! 9 years, 1 month ago #20301

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 9 years, 1 month ago
The TV industry is only a small part of the NLE market. Many productions are never broadcast and people are shooting them on cameras in the $3k to $15k range, also many broadcast TV productions are currently being shot on these cameras.

I wouldn't use the old TV industry to compare where things seem to be going in a world of increasingly tight budgets. On high end productions the $3k console's cost hardly matters, on an independent production, edited in house by a small one or two person company, it does. I suspect most of these will just go for the keyboard because the cost of the console could cost more than a NLE software package - Adobe Première Master package costs $2.6k for a meduim sized company.

Also, having a compact, lightweight console would also be good for those productions that edit on location using a laptop.

There seems to be a number of options for the console, however, I wouldn't shut off considering having a console lite option and the full, more tactile version for different markets. It's something that's happening in the camera dept, where DPs are shooting on high end cameras on one production and a DSLR for another. It's not something that DPs always like, but it's the nature of the current market place.
Last Edit: 9 years, 1 month ago by briandrys.

Re: Expensive! 9 years, 1 month ago #20302

• Forum Admin
All of these comments are true, which is why we've given a range of options - all the way from completely free software that you can use with a mouse and keyboard (with new drag-and drop features in the soon-to-be-released Windows version), though the keyboard option to, ultimately, the Console.

Obviously no-one's going to buy a Console unless it's absolutely key to the way they work, and the income from their work justifies it, but if your main work is as an editor, then it is roughly analogous being a photographer/camera operator and spending a few grand on one of the main tools of your trade.

Re: Expensive! 9 years, 1 month ago #20305

• namyrb
  • Pro User
  • Senior Boarder
  • 9 years, 1 month ago
This is why I say it's all relative. If you're on a tight budget, you wouldn't buy an ISIS 7000 or Linux Resolve seat (now those are expensive). From what I gather about this particular console, its target is the high end (big budget) user. And relative to the high end user, 3K is not so expensive. If I've misinterpreted the intended demographic of the console, then I appologize for making an incorrect assumption about its relative worth.
Last Edit: 9 years, 1 month ago by namyrb.

Re: Expensive! 9 years, 1 month ago #20306

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 9 years, 1 month ago
I think it's great that there is this range of options that allows a film maker from a poorer background (using a generic PC)to an editor on a Hollywood feature film to be able to use more or less the same NLE.

Just to add, given the RED experience, 3rd party manufacturers will produce accessories if the market exists for them.
Last Edit: 9 years, 1 month ago by briandrys.

Re: Expensive! 9 years, 1 month ago #20330

• mattrock1988
Forum Admin wrote:
All of these comments are true, which is why we've given a range of options - all the way from completely free software that you can use with a mouse and keyboard (with new drag-and drop features in the soon-to-be-released Windows version), though the keyboard option to, ultimately, the Console.

Obviously no-one's going to buy a Console unless it's absolutely key to the way they work, and the income from their work justifies it, but if your main work is as an editor, then it is roughly analogous being a photographer/camera operator and spending a few grand on one of the main tools of your trade.

This sounds perfect to me honestly. I do like how EditShare caters to everyone across the spectrum in this regard. My initial concern on price hopefully wasn't a bad one, as I do believe the Console is a piece of hardware only for pros anyhow.

Re: Expensive! 9 years ago #22453

• phovid
I think this can be a cheap alternative for Mac-users for the expensive LW console: the Magic Trackpad in combination with the BetterTouchTool-software (boastr.de). Magic Trackpad costs $ 69 (€ 69 here in Belgium or € 63 for teachers/students) and the software is free (but it will be fair to donate a little)!

See it in action:

or
www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/news/819-using-gestures-to-edit-with-final-cut-pro-x

Re: Expensive! 9 years ago #22454

• mattrock1988
Oh wow... this could very well be the ticket to a pleasurable editing experience aside from the newly created Lightworks Keyboard. Nice find! =)

Matt

Re: Expensive! 9 years ago #22472

• Greg_E
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 9 years ago
Kind of neat. Cirque had something close to this for their devices, but not developed to this level.

Re: Expensive! 9 years ago #22549

Uh ... Windows? Sigh.

Re: Expensive! 9 years ago #22551

• phovid
Editshare tweeted me this (partial) solution concerning the Trackpad on Windows-computers:

www.labnol.org/software/apple-magic-trackpad-with-windows/14158/

Remark: no rotate, pinch, 3- or 4- finger gestures though; Windows functionality is limited to single-touch and click functions only.

Re: Expensive! 9 years ago #22552

Maybe a contour shuttlepro, then. Have the small one, would like more buttons (must have more buttons...buttons good...using keyboard bad ... ).
Time to create page: 0.50 seconds
Scroll To Top