Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Expensive!

Re: Expensive! 7 years, 6 months ago #54858

• sicofante
Henry51 wrote:
I use my old VIP console from 1996. It was not easy to let it run on a modern Laptop, but it works quite good now.
I cannot imagine editing with the keyboard. I'm not a typist, I like to concentrate on the picture. Lightworks AND the console is the solution!

OK, just imagine you didn't have that old piece. Can you imagine working with an Avid Transport console or a ShuttlePro 2? That's the point.
Last Edit: 7 years, 6 months ago by .

Re: Expensive! 7 years, 6 months ago #54864

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 7 years, 6 months ago
sicofante wrote:

I don't quite get why you bring video cameras into the discussion.

Because you pay a lot more for a camera and they currently tend to be outdated in 3 years.

If console allows the editor to work faster, that's important to a professional editor. So far any feedback I've heard is that the console is superior to the ShuttlePro 2, that's good, but the console is better.
Last Edit: 7 years, 6 months ago by briandrys.

Re: Expensive! 7 years, 6 months ago #54869

• shaunthesheep
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 years, 6 months ago
@sicofante. The proof of the pudding is in the eating, Judging by comments in this forum, everyone who has purchased a Console seems very happy with it. And they are so well made that they last forever.

I think you need to try one out before making any further comment. Do you live near anyone who already has one? This is where Lightworks User Groups could play a role. Is there one in Spain?
Desktop
Dell Inspiron 560MT. Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 Processor, 6 GB Dual Channel DDR3, Windows 7 64 bit SP1/Ubuntu Studio 14.04.2 duel boot. On-board graphics chip. Samsung SyncMaster S23B35OH LED monitor. EchoAudio Mia 24/96 soundcard.

Laptop
Dell Precision M6700, i7 3740QM CPU @2.70Ghz, NVidia Quadro K3000M, 8GB ram. Windows 7 64 bit SP1.

I am not employed by EditShare. I am a Lightworks user.

Re: Expensive! 7 years, 6 months ago #54872

• brdloush
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 years, 6 months ago
I'd still want to see a video showing some editor actually use the console..

Re: Expensive! 7 years, 6 months ago #54874

• NICK_BUNTING
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 7 years, 6 months ago
Very long time LWKS user using both the original and next generation console and i can only tell you that the LWKS console makes Lightworks what it should be, a CRAFT EDITOR the shuttle pro device cannot be compared.

I am running via bootcamp on the MAC so will not take a chance and buy it in case it does not work on that set up (Q anyone running the console under bootcamp?) but as soon as the MAC version is released i will be buying it, it really is worth it if you earn money editing.

Be nice if the 50% discount deal came back though!

Re: Expensive! 7 years, 6 months ago #54875

• sicofante
Actually I saw one in the early 90's. I was in 3D animation and shared a studio with an editor who chose Lightworks. I even wrote him recently to see if he still had the console, but he's currently in Hollywood and his e-mail address has changed, so I effectively lost contact with him.

So no, I can't get near any of these consoles any time soon, but I think my comments still apply. I understand that people who bought the console is happy, but I'm afraid there's too much emotional attachment to this thing in these forums. I'm sure they'd be equally happy with better featured consoles (like the ones from Tangent, Avid or JCooper) if it wasn't for those emotions. I also definitely can tell you no high end studio will go for the Lightworks Console these days. I know them very well and, given the choice, they would never choose the antique, believe me. That's why I believe Lightworks should:

1) Keep the current console for the nostalgic ones. They surely have enough stock in their warehouses for that demograhics, anyway.
2) Create a cheaper version of it, for the amateur and prosumers.
3) Make a modern console for the pros, in line with features and design from those of their competitors. They're so much more advanced it's not funny.
4) DO NOT design the software around such an old hardware design. Make use of current hardware tecnologies and do design the software for what's currently available, not for a 20 year's old piece.

I don't think Editshare is (re)developing Lightworks for fun. I understand they will try to sell their other hardware products lines to their customers WHEN they choose Lightworks. But they won't choose Lightworks if it's just a reliq when it comes to hardware peripherals. Free-riders, amateurs and prosumers won't make them any money (I don't think they make a dime on the pro version; it seems it's just codec licensing money changing hands), so they better try to make it into the high end studios. A handful of Hollywood editors is not enough to make money of such high end software.

EDIT: No, I don't think there's any users group in Spain.
Last Edit: 7 years, 6 months ago by . Reason: Grammar.

Re: Expensive! 7 years, 6 months ago #54876

• NICK_BUNTING
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 7 years, 6 months ago
brdloush wrote:
I'd still want to see a video showing some editor actually use the console..

But it is tactile the feel of it just will not come across in a video

Re: Expensive! 7 years, 6 months ago #54879

• davidchecker
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 7 years, 6 months ago
There's some video around of Scorsese's editor, Thelma Schoonmaker using the console to edit Hugo. She also cut Shutter Island, etc ... she appears to look at the screen, click buttons, shuttle around, very easily. The usual. It looks like it has a heavy transport but not hard to spin. I'd personally love to have one, and will buy one at the earliest opportunity. Nothing to kvetch about, buy it or don't.

Re: Expensive! 7 years, 6 months ago #54886

• oldbutcher
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 7 years, 6 months ago
When Editshare relaunched Lightworks, they hired a designer to design a new consul.

I was one of the editors he visited to see how we used it.

It was decided that it was pointless re design as it was so simple and comfortable to use.
HP Z820, Windows 10, Nvidia RTX 4000
8 Terabytes Internal Raid Storage
40TB Qnap NAS storage
Mac Book Pro

Re: Expensive! 7 years, 6 months ago #54887

• NICK_BUNTING
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 7 years, 6 months ago
3) Make a modern console for the pros, in line with features and design from those of their competitors. They're so much more advanced it's not funny.
4) DO NOT design the software around such an old hardware design. Make use of current hardware tecnologies and do design the software for what's currently available, not for a 20 year's old piece.

I fail to understand those 2 points

What features are missing on the LWKS console to be able to edit that are available on other consoles?

point 4 The software has had a complete re write and runs great on modern hardware and can be driven by the keyboard should you choose but it would be wrong to destroy the values of LWKS perhaps it is not for you, plenty of choice on the market now, Avid is very affordable and a super strong pro level platform Adobe Premiere is now very powerful and the CC subscription is fantastic value or FCPX if you want really modern.

Re: Expensive! 7 years, 6 months ago #54888

• NICK_BUNTING
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 7 years, 6 months ago
oldbutcher

Not sure how the console could be re-designed to make it better, seems close to perfection to me.
Last Edit: 7 years, 6 months ago by NICK_BUNTING.

Re: Expensive! 7 years, 6 months ago #54889

• sicofante
I'm a Linux user and an open source proponent. I'm not sure I'd be interested in Lightworks otherwise. If a miracle dropped Premiere on Linux (or Windows, or OS X) for free, Lightworks wouldn't stand a chance IMO.

I don't think I can get the message through, so I'll rest the case. I stronly believe they're making a huge marketing mistake by keeping the old console, but I'm not an Editshare shareholder. It's up to them.

I just hope Lightworks will be easy to adapt to modern and reasonably priced peripherals.

Re: Expensive! 7 years, 6 months ago #54890

• sicofante
NICK_BUNTING wrote:

I fail to understand those 2 points

What features are missing on the LWKS console to be able to edit that are available on other consoles?

If you can't figure it out yourself by simply looking at the devices I linked to before, I don't think I can explain.

The software has had a complete re write and runs great on modern hardware and can be driven by the keyboard should you choose but it would be wrong to destroy the values of LWKS

What values? How would they be hurt by modern hardware peripherals?

Doesn't matter. Really. There's no point trying to convince you guys if you're happy paying a little fortune for such an old design, as if it was impossible to improve it after 20 years. As I said, I'll rest my case.

Re: Expensive! 7 years, 6 months ago #54891

• NICK_BUNTING
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 7 years, 6 months ago
sicofante wrote:
I'm a Linux user and an open source proponent. I'm not sure I'd be interested in Lightworks otherwise. If a miracle dropped Premiere on Linux (or Windows, or OS X) for free, Lightworks wouldn't stand a chance IMO.

I don't think I can get the message through, so I'll rest the case. I stronly believe they're making a huge marketing mistake by keeping the old console, but I'm not an Editshare shareholder. It's up to them.

I just hope Lightworks will be easy to adapt to modern and reasonably priced peripherals.

But are you an Editor? i mean some of us need pro tools to earn money

LWKS works without the console (that did not used to be the case) so they have made it accessible to everyone.

Re: Expensive! 7 years, 6 months ago #54893

• sicofante
I employ editors. No one uses Lightworks yet...

I've worked and work with a lot of high end post studios. No one uses Lightworks there...

I know my stuf around marketing and high end studios. I'm not just spouting baseless opinions.
Time to create page: 0.42 seconds
Scroll To Top