Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Expensive!

Re: Expensive! 9 years, 8 months ago #15015

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 9 years, 8 months ago
Greg_E wrote:
There are 3 processor in the series 1 console, I would need to look at my notes to remember exactly which ones are there.

I may be wrong, (increasingly rusty memory) but I think that you'll find it's actually a processor, a UART, and a PLA. Plus, of course, the inevitable "glue" logic.

Whatever the case, your other comment says it all, really.

Greg_E wrote:
Today all that can be done with a $4.00 processor and provide a USB connection to the host computer.
Last Edit: 9 years, 8 months ago by jwrl.

Re: Expensive! 9 years, 8 months ago #15023

• Greg_E
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 9 years, 8 months ago
I may need to look them up so I could be wrong.

Re: Expensive! 9 years, 2 months ago #19552

• DoodMcMan
Deleted for negativity, inaccuracy and inappropriate language
Last Edit: 9 years, 2 months ago by . Reason: Deleted for negativity, inaccuracy and inappropriate language

Re: Expensive! 9 years, 2 months ago #19554

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 9 years, 2 months ago
All functions the console can do you can do with the keyboard and mouse. It's just that the console allows you to focus on editing without looking away from your video. Could you drive a car safely (steering, brakes, accelerator, clutch, shifter, horn) using just a keyboard and mouse with drop-down menus?
Work Comp: Retired!
Home Comp: Newer! Bigger! Faster!
Send me a tip: paypal.me/4khaver
Last Edit: 9 years, 2 months ago by khaver. Reason: added "safely"

Re: Expensive! 9 years, 2 months ago #19558

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 9 years, 2 months ago
khaver wrote:
Could you drive a car safely (steering, brakes, accelerator, clutch, shifter, horn) using just a keyboard and mouse with drop-down menus?

It would be interesting to try!

While I didn't get a chance to read DoodMcMan's post, if it was like the other one I can understand the deletion. I can therefore only guess at the contents. There are a few points that might help dampen down your rage, DoodMcMan.

Editshare did not design any version of the console, and are therefore not really responsible for the costs incurred in the limited-run manufacturing of the device. As khaver says, Lightworks is completely usable as a software-only system.

Further, Editshare have given considerable free direct help to users wishing to incorporate vintage mark 1 and mark 2 controllers into their workflow. I can vouch for this from my own direct knowledge.

Other users here have posted in these forums instructions for connecting alternative work surfaces to Lightworks in an attempt to provide the same functionality as the custom console. Editshare have done nothing to remove those posts, and have even contributed to the threads.

Finally, Greg_E has a thread discussing his building of his own controller. It goes into considerable detail. Again, Editshare have not inhibited his posting in any way.

In summary, if your concerns were for the cost of the console, just don't buy it. You don't need to. Alternatively, if you really want one, implement your own. There are enough alternatives out there.

And I'll put money on the fact that Editshare don't censor this post in any way, even though I've given several leads on how to avoid buying their equipment.
Last Edit: 9 years, 2 months ago by jwrl.

Re: Expensive! 9 years, 2 months ago #19574

• LW_for_Feature
The console is worth every penny in my opinion. If you're a professional it will pay for itself in no time, just by speeding up your work, taking stress off your day and simplifying your overall interaction with the software. Lightworks + console = fastest editor out there.
If you're a hobbyist, you don't need the console and so why should you care how much it cost? There's always iMovie, Windows moviemaker and many other free editors out there.

Re: Expensive! 9 years, 2 months ago #19594

• Greg_E
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 9 years, 2 months ago
I think people just want to complain, there's been so little interest in what I made that I have a second unit sitting in an almost finished state. Just need to buy the key caps and print legends and it would be ready to assemble. One of these days maybe I'll get to it.

If a person wanted to do it a little cheaper, they could just use a matrix style keyboard controller, but the expense is still going to be in the switches and getting the box cut out.

Re: Expensive! 9 years, 1 month ago #20266

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 9 years, 1 month ago
I suppose a lower cost option might be a separate touch screen with the console controls or (assuming they can speak to each other) an iPad app.

Re: Expensive! 9 years, 1 month ago #20269

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 9 years, 1 month ago
briandrys wrote:
I suppose a lower cost option might be a separate touch screen with the console controls

That's actually a good idea. A large touch pad with a picture of the console over it that's programmed to do what the console does when you touch the buttons and "move" the virtual levers and jog wheel. Not the same tactile feel of the console but maybe a functional facsimile.

Editshare, do you have any objections to people using a picture of the console over a touch pad? If yes, then maybe it's something you could sell in the web store. If no, then would you object to someone selling a package that included the picture overlay and programming templates for various touch pads? If yes, then what about if someone provided them for free?
Last Edit: 9 years, 1 month ago by khaver.

Re: Expensive! 9 years, 1 month ago #20270

• LW_for_Feature
Honestly, I don't see how a virtual console on a touch pad would be any better than just using the mouse. I guess the only thing that would accomplish is to people to say, "Hey, I edit using a dedicated "controller.""
The whole point of the console is the physical interaction. Without it, all you have is what is already under the stripview, just with a picture of the console over it to "fool" you that you're using a console and it gives you an excuse to buy a touch pad if you already not have one.

I'm surprised you actually think this is any useful Khaver, specially after nailing down the essence of the console so well here:

khaver wrote:
It's just that the console allows you to focus on editing without looking away from your video. Could you drive a car safely (steering, brakes, accelerator, clutch, shifter, horn) using just a keyboard and mouse with drop-down menus?
Last Edit: 9 years, 1 month ago by .

Re: Expensive! 9 years, 1 month ago #20272

• Outworld
A touch pad is flat, don´t know if it is ergonomic for the hand work with this for long time.

Re: Expensive! 9 years, 1 month ago #20274

• arniepix
    Pro User
  • 9 years, 1 month ago
Outworld wrote:
A touch pad is flat, don´t know if it is ergonomic for the hand work with this for long time.

I doesn't give tactile feedback, either. The point of most control surfaces is that you read them & work them by feel & by touch so that your eyes can stay focused on your work.
I work in Manhattan, USA, but at night I cross the waters to sleep in Brooklyn, USA.

Also, post production is not an afterthought!

Re: Expensive! 9 years, 1 month ago #20275

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 9 years, 1 month ago
Not everyone can afford the $$ for the console.

What if areas of the overlaid console picture where slightly raised or had some sort of texture to them so you could feel where your fingers were without looking? This would give you that tactile feel so you could keep your eyes focused on the screen. Not a true replacement for the console, but a poor mans facsimile.

I'm not trying to suggest something to replace the console, but give users options.
Last Edit: 9 years, 1 month ago by khaver.

Re: Expensive! 9 years, 1 month ago #20276

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 9 years, 1 month ago
It's merely a suggestion for a lower cost option for some people, not a replacement. Although, that's not to say that raised surrounds couldn't be put around the "button" points on the pad for tactile input. A composite design.

EDIT: I think was just caught behind the flow.
Last Edit: 9 years, 1 month ago by briandrys.

Re: Expensive! 9 years, 1 month ago #20279

• arniepix
    Pro User
  • 9 years, 1 month ago
khaver wrote:
What if areas of the overlaid console picture where slightly raised or had some sort of texture to them so you could feel where your fingers were without looking? This would give you that tactile feel so you could keep your eyes focused on the screen. Not a true replacement for the console, but a poor mans facsimile.

I suppose that might work, so long as it doesn't interfere with with the actual working of the screen.
I work in Manhattan, USA, but at night I cross the waters to sleep in Brooklyn, USA.

Also, post production is not an afterthought!
Time to create page: 0.50 seconds
Scroll To Top