Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Expensive!

Re: Expensive! 8 years, 11 months ago #25172

• Forum Admin
Greg_E wrote:
Henry51 wrote:

By the way: I have 3 old consoles from Lightworks/Heavyworks left. if anyone is interested let me know (but its NOT for free...)

They were referring to the above.

Now that I have woken up, I realise that!

Re: Expensive! 8 years, 5 months ago #35557

• shaunthesheep
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 8 years, 5 months ago
Has anyone made any progress recently using a tablet computer app as a Lightworks controller?
Desktop
Dell Inspiron 560MT. Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 Processor, 6 GB Dual Channel DDR3, Windows 7 64 bit SP1/Ubuntu Studio 14.04.2 duel boot. On-board graphics chip. Samsung SyncMaster S23B35OH LED monitor. EchoAudio Mia 24/96 soundcard.

Laptop
Dell Precision M6700, i7 3740QM CPU @2.70Ghz, NVidia Quadro K3000M, 8GB ram. Windows 7 64 bit SP1.

I am not employed by EditShare. I am a Lightworks user.

Re: Expensive! 8 years, 5 months ago #35560

• balanceandpeace
Yup. Just finished a Kickstarter to fully build one. The prototype was first made to work with Lwks. Will be adding Lightworks compatibility to CTRL+Console soon.

kck.st/RIWgN4

Re: Expensive! 8 years, 5 months ago #35568

• Craig Marshall
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 8 years, 5 months ago
A tablet app? Really? Complete with touch, feel, feedback & inertia? Sorry, I'll stick with my $100 Contour Jog/Shuttle Pro... (for the moment)
Custom Haswell z87 i7 3.9Ghz 4770
System SSD, 16TB Internal RAID 0, Cache SSD
16GB DDR3, Thunderbolt, Nvidia GTX 970 G1 Maxwell GPU
Lightworks Pro with DNxHD license
Resolve 15 with OxygenTec ProPanel
X-Keys Pro 68 key USB Jog/Shuttle controller
2 x 24" HD GUI, 24" 10bit Rec.709 IPS Monitor
12G Decklink 4K SDI Pro>HD-Link Pro>Display Port
Sony 55" X9005B 4K Client Monitor
Sony Super 35 HD camera with Atomos ProRes Recorder
4x4" matte box/follow focus. Zeiss 'Contax' FF primes with Metabones 'Speed Booster'
Rode NTG-3/I-Rig XLR Phantom preamp
HDvideo4K.com

Re: Expensive! 8 years, 5 months ago #35593

• VFB
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 8 years, 5 months ago
balanceandpeace wrote:
Yup. Just finished a Kickstarter to fully build one. The prototype was first made to work with Lwks. Will be adding Lightworks compatibility to CTRL+Console soon.

kck.st/RIWgN4

Are you Jeff Chow? Or did you pledge more than 300$ to get the MIX & MATCH bonus to chose any software you want this to work with?

Take a look here. This is almost what it comes down to: www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=24&id=17122&Itemid=81

I am happy that finally something like this will hit the market, although I don't like the limited approach of the multi touch gestures. Just theoretically, would it be possible to design your own multi touch gestures in an app like this and connect that to a shortkey which then is send to LWKS?

Re: Expensive! 8 years, 5 months ago #35598

• lghtwrks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 8 years, 5 months ago
afaik you can draw an interface as you like (mostly for android/ipad) and then just map the keys to lwks

greets
simon

Re: Expensive! 8 years, 5 months ago #35603

• balanceandpeace
It'll be different, for sure. But you will have touch, feel and feedback - just different than the mechanical ways of the Contour. Unlike Kinect or Leap Motion with free-air gestures that don't have ANY tactile feedback, with a touchscreen you will have the touch of the surface and can feel the friction and movement. Feedback will be visual, from the video moving and GUI on the iPad, as well as audio cues from the iPad itself.

And a touchscreen can become a multichannel audio fader, color correction wheels and more with the touch of a button or in-app purchase. And can do it for less than a Contour.

It'll be different. But will it be better? I think so, but we will have to see..

Jeff Chow
creator of CTRL+Console

Re: Expensive! 8 years, 5 months ago #35605

• balanceandpeace
@VFB Hi Valentin. Got your message on KS. Yes I am Jeff Chow. The gestures I listed was only a jumping off point and we plan to explore many other options. The $100 build your own prototype would have given you the ability to create a touchscreen interface for lwks. But the downside is there are no location agnostic 'gestures' in that method. But I have made an interface that looks exactly like the Lightworks Console. If that's something you'd be interested in, let me know.

Custom gestures is an interesting idea. I think the challenge would be in the details of execution and distinguishing gestures. What we think of a simple swipe left or right must be coded in a way so that it works reliably in various scenarios. For example, it would be silly for it to only work if you swipe in an exact horizontal straight line. No one would be able to reliably execute an exact horizontal straight line. So maybe allow the line to not be straight, but by how much? Or at what length is a swipe versus a tap that drifts a little? Or how much off-axis is ok? 15 degrees? 30?

All of these things contribute to a gesture working as you would expect it would. But then you also run into the challenge of gesture collisions, where one gesture is similar to another and programmatically can't be distinguished when applying the above variances. Say a circle jog gesture. For the initial part of the circle, it can appear awfully similar to a swipe. And if you have it set so that 15 degrees of a single finger circle is a jog forward of 1 frame, what happens if you are intending a swipe that unintentionally has a bit of an arc to it. How will it know which one you meant to do?

The short of it is that the idea of being able to just 'show' an app what gesture you want by doing it, and having it reliably detect and distinguish it from other gestures is not a simple task. We are planning on adding the ability to select a gesture from a list and defining the shortcut to execute in lwks (or any other program for that matter). It will be a feature that gets implemented after launch.

If you want to get a bit of a glimpse of what gestures for editing would be like check this out:

It uses BetterTouchTool (for OSX only) to execute the shortcuts in a similar way to what your video shows.

Jeff Chow
creator of CTRL+Console
Last Edit: 8 years, 5 months ago by .

Re: Expensive! 8 years, 5 months ago #35618

• VFB
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 8 years, 5 months ago
Ok. Great. Thanks for enlightening me. and choosing your gestures from a list, sounds like a fair approach to me.

Whether I would be interested in an interface like the console?
Frankly, no. I just see no sense in it.

The multi touch gestures however are the greatest thing in the world.

Just hurry up with the Android port, will you?

Re: Expensive! 8 years, 5 months ago #35643

• balanceandpeace
Gestures are big part of why I'm creating this app. Though I think the combination of gestures and visual console can become something really special. Speed from gestures and the flexibility and depth from a visual console.

I plan on pushing gestures as far as they will go, but I think there will be a point where it just turns your fingers into knots. But I'm looking forward to finding out where that point is!

Re: Android - I'll do my best!

Re: Expensive! 8 years, 5 months ago #35653

• Greg_E
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 8 years, 5 months ago
Since we have wondered off topic, what about those new touch pads that are being sold to use with Windows 8 computers? www.logitech.com/en-us/product/touchpad-t650?crid=7
You could probably print an adhesive cover sheet for the standard "button" controls since it doesn't have a display and get the gestures working.

Re: Expensive! 8 years, 2 months ago #40800

• hamman
I wonder if Contour Design ShuttlePRO v2 would work the same as the LWKS Console (or similarly; the LWKS console has more keys on the console). If anybody has one or has used one, please let me know.

[EDIT]

I didn't read all the posts in this feed (for obvious reasons). Looking back over the last page or two it was seen that somebody does have a Contour shuttle and it works.
Last Edit: 8 years, 2 months ago by . Reason: New info

Re: Expensive! 8 years, 2 months ago #40801

• Craig Marshall
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 8 years, 2 months ago
Many of us here use the Contour Shuttle with LW. It is a wonderful device for the money so search the Forum using those terms and you'll find all the information you need to configure and operate it successfully.
Custom Haswell z87 i7 3.9Ghz 4770
System SSD, 16TB Internal RAID 0, Cache SSD
16GB DDR3, Thunderbolt, Nvidia GTX 970 G1 Maxwell GPU
Lightworks Pro with DNxHD license
Resolve 15 with OxygenTec ProPanel
X-Keys Pro 68 key USB Jog/Shuttle controller
2 x 24" HD GUI, 24" 10bit Rec.709 IPS Monitor
12G Decklink 4K SDI Pro>HD-Link Pro>Display Port
Sony 55" X9005B 4K Client Monitor
Sony Super 35 HD camera with Atomos ProRes Recorder
4x4" matte box/follow focus. Zeiss 'Contax' FF primes with Metabones 'Speed Booster'
Rode NTG-3/I-Rig XLR Phantom preamp
HDvideo4K.com
Last Edit: 8 years, 2 months ago by Craig Marshall.

Re: Expensive! 8 years, 2 months ago #40803

• brdloush
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 8 years, 2 months ago
Hi hamman, and welcome to the forum!

As a non-professional (hobyist) user, I can't compare ShuttlePRO v2 with real LWKS Console. But ShuttlePRO v2 works just great with LWKS and once you get used to it, you won't give it up!

There has already been a lot of discussion regarding ShuttlePRO (and what settings users use) here on forum. Just search for for "shuttlepro settings" or "shuttlepro mapping".

You might want to start with this topic.

Hope this helps.

Re: Expensive! 8 years, 2 months ago #40804

• hamman
Thanks for the speedy responses guys! I am looking at possibly getting a shuttle if I do any more with LWKS. Right now I am more interested in the pros/cons of the ShuttlePro. What are the good vs. bad about it? Thanks!
Time to create page: 0.43 seconds
Scroll To Top